General AMA lore discussion

Story Forum
Post Limit:
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
Wrathion has a vision for the future of Azeroth - a united Azeroth - and he's not too particular about how we get there. We're big fans of characters who flirt along the line between hero and villain.

In 5.0, Wrathion is definitely feeling out the factions and trying to formulate a plan. It's up to you to impress him. You'll have another chance in 5.1, when the war rolls up onto the pandaren shores. As for his next move... well, no spoilers.

I'm not too thrilled about that. It sounds like Wrathion will be just as manipulative and possibly as evil as Neltharion (less like the pre Cata version and more like the Lord Daval Prestor version) was. He wants a united Azeroth and doesn't particularly care how that happens? It sounds like he would have been fine with the Horde winning the war too. And that he will manipulate things behind the scenes to get what he wants. An Azeroth under his control.

I believe the quote about Wrathion when describing the Fangs of the Father daggers was something like:

"He is free of the Old God corruption, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a good guy".

I for one find Wrathion fascinating and wear my daggers with pride still, almost half a year later. I just hope they keep his story interesting.
Added in the missing answers to the OP. It should now have all the new lore-related information from the AMA.

Things are looking good for an Alliance-aligned Jaina going forward. Kosak avoided explicitly stating it, but he did acknowledge that people don't like it when a major Alliance/Horde character becomes neutral when the subject came up.

I believe the quote about Wrathion when describing the Fangs of the Father daggers was something like:

"He is free of the Old God corruption, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a good guy".

I for one find Wrathion fascinating and wear my daggers with pride still, almost half a year later. I just hope they keep his story interesting.

As do I. I loved Lord Prestor in DotD: intelligent, evil, manipulative, charismatic, charming, and power. If he was insane, it was carefully controlled. He was always a step or two ahead of everyone

If Wrathion is truly a son of Neltharion, he should behave in this manner.

As do I. I loved Lord Prestor in DotD: intelligent, evil, manipulative, charismatic, charming, and power. If he was insane, it was carefully controlled. He was always a step or two ahead of everyone

If Wrathion is truly a son of Neltharion, he should behave in this manner.

I love a good old "Evil Immortal Gentleman Mastermind" myself as well. Like Vlad von Carstein.
It's kinda sad... there are few legit evil people in any media who aren't crazy or cartoony evil.

One of the reasons I love Ras al Ghul and Mr. Freeze

I imagine Neltharion's DotD self as Smaug from the Hobbit. Neltharion as he should have been portrayed, anyway
Things are looking good for an Alliance-aligned Jaina going forward. Kosak avoided explicitly stating it, but he did acknowledge that people don't like it when a major Alliance/Horde character becomes neutral when the subject came up.

I hope it's more than just "oh yeah, Jaina is totally Alliance, despite not doing anything to actually assist the Alliance against anything that isn't a PvE villain".
09/12/2012 09:48 AMPosted by Quard
I hope it's more than just "oh yeah, Jaina is totally Alliance, despite not doing anything to actually assist the Alliance against anything that isn't a PvE villain".

Jaina wasn't exactly all that partisan before Tides of War you know. The mere fact she now recognizes that there are elements within the Horde (elements that happen to be in charge at the moment) that cannot under any circumstances be reasoned with an must be put down makes her a lot less neutral then she was before in my opinion.

That's all the further I will say on this subject because I don't want to turn this thread into another massive argument about whether or not Jaina is technically neutral because the information we do have can be interpreted several different ways and everyone has a different definition of what being neutral actually is (for example does the fact Vol'jin worked with the Alliance in 4.1 make him neutral despite the fact he never stopped being the Troll racial leader?). Ultimately our best bet is to wait until 5.1 rolls around, which will bring a lot of familiar characters to the shores of Pandaria, likely including Jaina Proudmoore.
09/12/2012 10:50 AMPosted by Falrinn

Jaina wasn't exactly all that partisan before Tides of War you know. The mere fact she now recognizes that there are elements within the Horde (elements that happen to be in charge at the moment) that cannot under any circumstances be reasoned with an must be put down makes her a lot less neutral then she was before in my opinion.

That's all the further I will say on this subject because I don't want to turn this thread into another massive argument about whether or not Jaina is technically neutral because the information we do have can be interpreted several different ways and everyone has a different definition of what being neutral actually is (for example does the fact Vol'jin worked with the Alliance in 4.1 make him neutral despite the fact he never stopped being the Troll racial leader?). Ultimately our best bet is to wait until 5.1 rolls around, which will bring a lot of familiar characters to the shores of Pandaria, likely including Jaina Proudmoore.

The big Alliance Hero to take a glorious stand against the Horde doesn't have to be Jaina. It just has to be anybody. We don't have any major heroes or faction leaders leading the offensive against the horde anywhere that Alliance players can actually see it. Even though Jaina should be incredibly anti-horde, if someone else like Varian or Muradin or Tyrande wants to take up that torch then I'll be happy, but the AMA only mentioned Jaina.
...for example does the fact Vol'jin worked with the Alliance in 4.1 make him neutral despite the fact he never stopped being the Troll racial leader?

Truthfully, I'm surprised that Garrosh didn't mention this in Tides of War.
09/12/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Detheron
...for example does the fact Vol'jin worked with the Alliance in 4.1 make him neutral despite the fact he never stopped being the Troll racial leader?

Truthfully, I'm surprised that Garrosh didn't mention this in Tides of War.

Maybe Garrosh doesn't know?
The question about Stromgarde gave a disappointing but not unexpected answer. One point about the answer that interested me though was the last part of the answer. Likely just a joke, but he mentioned a next catacylsm.

The big Alliance Hero to take a glorious stand against the Horde doesn't have to be Jaina. It just has to be anybody. We don't have any major heroes or faction leaders leading the offensive against the horde anywhere that Alliance players can actually see it. Even though Jaina should be incredibly anti-horde, if someone else like Varian or Muradin or Tyrande wants to take up that torch then I'll be happy, but the AMA only mentioned Jaina.

Shandris Feathermoon and Thisalee Crow are both pretty hardcore. :D

The fact Shandris Feathermoon survived the fall of Theramore when so many other characters did not does indicate Blizzard has plans for her. If nothing else, I could easily see her being one of several Alliance generals deployed to Pandaria.
I wouldn't mind some Shandris in my Pandaria.
09/11/2012 05:57 PMPosted by Falrinn
Feedback from Cataclysm is that people don't like when they "lose" a character to neutrality. So I hear you. Jaina's story continues, and we have plans!!

If she's not calling me a champion or some other !@#$ by 5.2 I will be genuinely surprised and I will probably eat my shoe.
Vol'Jin: The Backstabbening. Please don't screw this up, Mr. Stackpole.
09/12/2012 12:23 PMPosted by Danseis
The question about Stromgarde gave a disappointing but not unexpected answer. One point about the answer that interested me though was the last part of the answer. Likely just a joke, but he mentioned a next catacylsm.

I didn't see Stromgarde addressed at all =/
09/12/2012 01:49 PMPosted by Aurriastraza

When asked about it their response was "pretty much never".

They said "we just did all that oldworld stuff. Maybe next Cataclysm HO HO HO"

They basically said, "yeah, we realize it sucks that nothing was done with it, but it's unlikely until/unless we redo the old world again."

Jaina wasn't exactly all that partisan before Tides of War you know.

But we were more or less promised she WOULD be. Party of the counter-argument to those of us who were unhappy that Theramore was being destroyed was that it would finally cause Jaina to shed her pacifism and be a strong contributor to the Alliance.

Ultimately our best bet is to wait until 5.1 rolls around, which will bring a lot of familiar characters to the shores of Pandaria, likely including Jaina Proudmoore.

I'm more worried at what happens in patch 6.0 after Garrosh is dead.

But Thisalee is pretty solidly part of the neutral arm of the Cenarion Circle unless I'm forgetting something.