WoW crashes when modifier buttons are used

Mac Technical Support
Since 5.0.4, and still with 5.0.5, my MacBook Pro (2010) crashes when I use modifier keys, such as "Command" or "Shift" to do right click or shift-click actions. It's easy to re-produce, and takes only a few tries of using the buttons in tandem to trigger a crash.

The crash happens abruptly, with no error message. I have looked at other threads on this forum, and I can not locate any error log folder on my machine. Only once did an error screen appear after re-opening the launcher.

I have no special software on my machine such as Turbo Mouse or any keyboard software. I run the latest OS - ML 10.8.1.

It's very bothersome as the game has become near-unplayable on my laptop. Help!
I so glad im not the only one having this problem. I am getting the exact same thing, and i couldn't agree with you more. Unplayable when the game is crashing at unexpected times.
Can you try to rebuild game caches and test with no add-ons installed afterward and see if it helps.

1. Navigate to /Applications/World of Warcraft
    2. Move the WTF, Cache and Interface folders to the desktop
    3. Now go into the Data folder and delete the Cache folder
    4. Navigate to Users/Shared and delete the Battle.net folder
    5. Launch the World of Warcraft Launcher. Let all updates apply and hit Play when Game is up to date is displayed.
....still crashes. I did everything you say, but it still crashed.

It took a little longer to re-produce the crash (30 seconds instead of 5) but, bam, desktop.
Can you post your system specs?

1. Launch World of Warcraft and log in.
    2. Put World of Warcraft into Windowed Mode if it is not already in Windowed Mode.
    3. From the system menu bar, select Help > Copy Support Information: http://i45.tinypic.com/foodww.png
    4. Paste the contents of the copied system information here (Command-V)
Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.1.0
Time since boot: 4 days 23:22

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0E
SMC Version (system): 1.62f6
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce 320M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x08a0
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3533
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
Like I said earlier, after following your previous instructions, it now takes upwards of a minute to reproduce the crash, as before it was near instant. Regardless, it still happens during normal play... and sucks! :)
Update: Ok I am just dense. I was actually hitting the Command-Q as it is not exempt from the "Do not use system commands" Check box in settings. I went into keyboard under sys prefs and remapped the quit command and all is good now.

Having the same issue on my Macbook Pro. Noticed in 5.0.4 and 5.0.5 the client will crash to desktop with no error log or anything. Occasionally it will appear to crash but it is almost like it hides the game and I can click on it again in the dock and it works again.

I have done all the normal things like clearing cache folders etc. I have also reinstalled the client.

OS 10.8.1

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B06
SMC Version (system): 2.1f170

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3682
gMux Version: 1.9.23
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Well, in response to Salodale - I am not hitting command Q.

This issue sucks, and it crashes at the most inconvenient times! Hope this is being looked into.

Thanks.
When the next crash happens, can you send me your system information and system.log?

Obtaining your System Information and system.log
Snow Leopard (10.6) and older versions of OS X
    1. Hold the Option Key and choose System Profiler from the Apple Menu
    2. When the System Profiler is finished gathering its data, click "File" then "Save As..."
    3. Add your name to the filename, and save it to your desktop for easy location. Make sure the file format is "System Profiler 4.0 (XML)"

Lion (10.7)
    1. Hold the Option Key and choose System Information from the Apple Menu
    2. When the System Information is finished gathering its data, click "File" then "Save As..."
    3. Add your name to the filename, and save it to your desktop for easy location.

Obtaining your system.log
    1. Using Finder, Navigate to /Applications/Utilities and open Console
    2. Click system.log on the left side bar.
    3. On the menu bar, click File, and select Save a Copy As. Make sure the file is saved to the desktop for easy location.

Submitting your system files
    1. Open a new email message, and attach the items as an attachment.
    2. Send the email to macsupport@blizzard.com with the subject as "Attn: TonyM". Make sure you include the Thread title and URL address. This way it gets routed to me so I can take a personal look.

Please note: This method is only used for sending information after files are requested for additional review. This is not to be used a a form of contact, as this box is monitored only when files are requested. No replies are sent from here.
Machkhan I have been reading through many of the Beta posts on, Command + Q, causing issues for many users. I have not been able to find an update from you about this. I may have missed it, but I was wondering if development has stated anything about this or a time frame for which it might be fixed?

My wife is have the same issue with the current live patch and she uses Mumble to communicate in raids and he PTT key is Command. This is causing some serious issues. She has changed the PTT key for now, but this never used to be a problem. I am just wondering if it is something that will never change? She says that it is other keys for her as well, she says A, S, D, W have caused the disconnect too. I am going to have her test and verify that she is not just hitting Q on accident. I will not be able to get back to this forum for about 18 hours, so I will check back and see if there is anything I can do to help.

Thank you!
09/24/2012 02:42 AMPosted by Artemis
Machkhan I have been reading through many of the Beta posts on, Command + Q, causing issues for many users.

Command-Q is not a bug, but was a change done in 5.x. The team is reviewing feedback about this.

Does the issue happen when mumble is not being used?
She does not use Command except for when using Mumble. I will have her start to test it and see what we can come up with. I will have her keybind some abilities to Command + something and see if she gets disconnected. Ty.

P.S. was wondering if you could answer a question off topic. Everything I see says "As soon as we activate the new expansion content on launch, players who already have a Mists of Pandaria license with the data installed will gain instant access. If you're in the game when the clock strikes midnight, you don't even have to logout!"

How do we know if we have the data installed or not?
If you're up to date on your launcher, then you should be fine. Just add the key and log in. Any remaining data will be downloaded during game play, but for the most part, everyone has the same data, only the license you add to your account will determine if you have access to it.
Machkhan - just saw your reply. Sending you the requested info now. Thank you.
Still nothing :(

Can you provide what specific key combinations are doing this for you, and if it is happening 100% or random when this happens. This may shed some light.

Also, if you create a new admin user, and attempt to play, does this happen?