Gw2 vs Wow

Games, Gaming and Hardware
PVE: Gw2 > Wow - Gw2 pve is a pretty amazing compared to other mmo's. The quest you do actually have an effect in the gaming world. All mobs are free for all, which means no matter who hits what mob, partied or not, everyone gets xp and everyone gets loots. No more raging at other players because someone tagged your mob first like in wow.

PVP: Gw2 = Wow - Wow's battle grounds are better than Gw2's structured pvp battles do to the fact there are no healers in Gw2 and Gw2 matches are huge zerg fest. But, world pvp goes to Gw2. World vs World matches last for 2 weeks and battles are like scenes from the movie Gladiator. While, wow has no world pvp due to the fact everyone is sitting in the city and over 90% of all zones are dead.

Dungeons: Gw2 = Wow - In this category both games have pluses and minuses. In Gw2 there are no healers or tanks, which means, everyone is repsonsible for their own death. If you enjoy tanking or healing, then Gw2 is not for you. Wow of course, has tanks and healers, which is a plus. But, most of wow's dungeons are very boring because of easy they are. I personally do not like the fact that Gw2 removed the Holy Trinity.

Gathering: Gw2 > Wow - In Gw2 if there is a mining nod to be mined, then everyone can mine it. There can be several players mining a single nod and everyone gets equal ores. Because of this, farming bots in Gw2 do not have an effect on a players farming. Not like in wow where a lot of the farmers are bots and are stealing farming nods from real players. Also, in Gw2 every player has gathering by default so a crafting profession slot isn't taken.

UI: Wow > Gw2 - Wow's UI is superior not only to Gw2, but all other mmo's as well. Gw2 UI has more of a console than mmo feel to it. I will have to say that Gw2 trading post is superior to wow's auction house. In Gw2 you get your gold instantly when making a sale. Also, Gw2's trading post works across all servers. If you post something for sale it will be available for purchase on any server. Overall though, Gw2 UI is lacking in comparison to wow's UI.

Graphics: Gw2 > Wow - I still enjoy wow's cartoony graphics, but Gw2 graphics are up to date with today's high end single player games. Youtube videos do not do Gw2 justice, so please do not use them as examples. Although, wow's graphics are out of date I still enjoy them and I'm very impressed with what Blizzard has been able to do with an out of date game engine. Wow's graphics and performance is nice, but Gw2's is just awesome.

Summary: Overall Gw2 is a great game. The only downfall for me is the removal of the Holy Trinity. I know Gw2 was trying to be innovative with their decision to remove it. But, somethings should be left alone and the Holy Trinity was one of them. As I said before, if you enjoy tanking and healing (which I do) than playing wow will still be very appealing. Good thing Gw2 doesn't have a sub fee, so I can play Gw2 and World of Warcraft ;-)
Interestingly, I've found that the lack of a "holy trinity" is more liberating than confining. Depending on what profession one has chosen, it is entirely possible to become a healer or a Tank-type. On my Engineer, for instance, I can fill my bars almost entirely with healing skills and traits, and I can use my weapon abilities in self-defense, as needed. This works even better with other professions, especially ones like Guardian or Elementalist.

The learning curve players are going with this game has been interesting to watch. At first, encounters become a kind of all-DPS zerg fest which isn't always very effective - especially in dungeons. Then groups begin to think things through a bit more and organizing their composition and group strategies to better fight the encounter before them. This learning curve process has been documented in a couple of reviewer blogs I've been following, it's quite fascinating.

GW2 Devs have crafted a new system and this naturally forces a new approach to group melee encounters. It's brilliant and quite fun, once one is able to leave all trinity notions behind at the login screen.
09/12/2012 08:01 AMPosted by Gotnorice
I've not actually played GW2, but a few of my friends who used to play WoW are talking about playing WoW again, because they tried GW2 and it sucked to bad it just made them want to play WoW again.

That is definitely a "to each their own" deal there because I'm exactly the opposite. I'm back here on a 7 day pass that Blizz sent me and I just can't get into wow now. Just logging in and seeing the graphics killed it for me. Had some good times with WoW but just not feeling the love. lol.
09/12/2012 08:01 AMPosted by Gotnorice
I've not actually played GW2, but a few of my friends who used to play WoW are talking about playing WoW again, because they tried GW2 and it sucked so bad it just made them want to play WoW again.

Every wow friend I know is playing GW2 and not WoW. That doesn't mean anything anymore than your friend's opinions.

Fact is it is a blast to level up. There are of course issues but at least I don't have to look at stolen kung fu pandas running around.
If you like how wow does things, GW2 will not make you happy, as someone whos played games like EQ and WOW im looking for something that tries to deviate from the stale (IMHO) formula.

GW2 is tying to be different and i believe they have succeeded on many levels,
WvW gives me the old DAOC feel but with a modern twist, sPvP seems far superior to anything wow offered with actually skill mattering not whos played longer and got the best gear.

In terms of solo Pve I love that the best* way to level is to just wander around the world finding things to do.. going off the beaten track leads you to mobs with high bonus exp, plus I tend to stumble on tons of events along the way.
* yes running the same chain events is a bit faster... but again this is not wow... leveling is the game... rushing to end game has no real meaning other then having an edge in WvW.

Dungeons are allot of fun... no trinity has been very refreshing.. no more 1 guy stacks defense one guy stacks healing... 3 guys stack pure damage. Now each character has to be balanced and has to switch out skills and weapons to build a decent strategy to handel an encounter. It makes me think on my feet and makes it way more fun compared to wows "stare at the threat meter, stare at groups health bars, stare at boss while clicking standard rotation".

Its different.. and if your looking for different its amazing... if you try to play this game like wow you will not enjoy it.

On an off note...
"{sPvP, WvW, dungeons} is a zerge" is always a excuse or a result from people either trying to play this game like wow (eg. im a dps i stack only dps skills/traits) , or failing to work together as a group.
I sat on the fence for a while. I picked up GW2 the other night.

Got a copy for my wife as well. She's super casual, and she loves it. She plays a hunter in Wow, picked up a ranger in GW2. She loves to craft, and the crafting is what really hooked her.

I'm more into raiding and especially PvP. I haven't done a dungeon yet, as we are leveling slow (which is also a nice change of pace). I have tried WvWvW and it's fun.

Graphics are good. WoW is an old game, good for it's age don't get me wrong.

Story is good, and while I don't know the lore that well, they do try to give it to you in good chunks - even with books to read like you see in WoW.

Dynamic events are pretty cool. I can see how they aren't "dynamic" in the fact that they probably repeat after a while, but I haven't been in a single area long enough to see it. I am constantly seeing different ones pop up.

Somethings are different/buggy/not a fan of it - like all your characters on one server, and one server only, the AH seems broken, and you can't trade (although you can insta mail people stuff which is kinda the same) but thats not a big deal for me at the moment. Also your spells change depending on what weapon you have in your hand. That takes a bit getting used to as I liked my lightning out of my staff but when I got a dagger that spell went away. Made me sad.

Anyway, that's my blurb before I run out the door to work. Try it is what I say. Costs 60 bucks, no sub, so you can play it and WoW. Just don't go comparing it to WoW - look at what it does different and see if you like it.
GW2 is a pretty good game. I think it will hit the casual market hard. When I played the Beta I thought it was too tough - but either I have gotten better or they have made it down some.

Strangely I don't seem to like the PvP as much as everyone else..but going to keep playing it some the next two weeks..

My thinking is that if it could take one thing from WoW - it should be the Holy Trinity. I just don't think dungeons work right without it. Questing/PvP these things don't need any specialization and they work great.

But if WoW could take one thing from GW2 (besides the superior graphics) it would be the downscaling. I frankly love the way they have done it. Your character does feel more powerful.

I have plenty of gripes with both games but GW2 unlike SWTOR is actually superior at some things.
Telling people how much better Game X is than Game Y is not going to garner a lot of interest in Game X unless people are flat out unhappy with the game they're already playing. A different tact will have better results I should think.

09/12/2012 08:29 AMPosted by Gotnorice
Sounds like what people were saying about Warhammer and SWTOR for a month until they threw those games in the trash also.

The developers of Warhammer and TOR didn't produce the second most successful pay to play MMORPG, Guild Wars 1.
09/12/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Corrock
Telling people how much better Game X is than Game Y is not going to garner a lot of interest in Game X unless people are flat out unhappy with the game they're already playing. A different tact will have better results I should think.

I can't speak for everyone here of course, but I'm not sure that many folks have an actual agenda in trading views and experiences on GW2. It seems to me everyone is just sharing their observations and feedback, pro and con. The comparison to other games, especially WoW, is a natural one especially here because WoW is a common point-of-reference for us all.
1. Thief Stealth sucks. I like how you can't stealth for an infinite amount of time, but I don't like how the duration of stealth is too short. All I'm asking for is at least 5 seconds. Also, i want to look like a ninja, not a pirate for 30 levels.

It's short, but it also doesn't break on damage. If it lasted longer AND didn't break on damage it would be a bit too powerful imo.

The class is called Thief! Pirates are thieves who ride boats so it makes sense.

3. The camera distance feels too close even at max. I try to play most MMO's at max camera range, and it feels awkward in GW2 playing so close to my character, haven't seen a way to change it yet.

I agree, i wish i could zoom out a bit further, and i wish the camera didn't zoom in when in downed state. Makes it hard to choose teleport locations.

4. I don't like how big Norn are. I get it, they are a large barbaric race from the north, but do they have to be 13 ft tall?

YEP!

8. In earlier levels, Story quests are spread too far apart. After I complete part of my lvl 32 quest, I can't move on to the next part until I'm lvl 34. That whole two levels can sometimes take pretty long as I am a pretty casual player. Sometimes I forget what I was doing.

I always found myself doing my story quests 2-4 levels under the suggested level. Made for quite a challenge at times.

10. I play less than any other MMO. This might be a weird one, but it's true, I feel no obligation to log into this game except when I want to. When I log into most MMO's, it's because I have to, dailies, raids, operations, whatever. In GW2 I play when I feel like playing and don't feel like I have to force myself to get on to do something.

I'm the same way. I don't feel the need to log in every day and meet some minimum requirements in order to have fun eventually.
I haven't played GW2 (yet), but i'm concerned about the lack of addons. Most online opinions says that the UI is fine, if you need DBM you need to L2P, and recount is for your e-peen. Valid points, but can you DPS as well without a little help from something to track your dots? (are there dots?) It was a pain in SWTOR to watch boss debuffs for when your dot would fall off, especially when there was another of your class in the group.

Recount is a valuable tool as well. How will they manage any sort of boss fight that would require a tight enrage timer, a boss's stacking buff, bursting of adds or an absorb shield etc? If you can't make an enrage timer how will you know what you need to change?

I've heard GW2 is less of a gear grind, so maybe all the fights will all be survival tests, but just about everything in WoW was easier with high DPS, and without recount, how can you measure and improve? (And please don't tell me how high DPS pulls aggro etc... I know.. i'm talking about smart raiders, not bad pugs.)

And can a world wide trading post make up for no Trade Skill Master? We'll have to wait and see.
09/12/2012 08:18 AMPosted by Wootan
I've not actually played GW2, but a few of my friends who used to play WoW are talking about playing WoW again, because they tried GW2 and it sucked so bad it just made them want to play WoW again.

Every wow friend I know is playing GW2 and not WoW. That doesn't mean anything anymore than your friend's opinions.

Fact is it is a blast to level up. There are of course issues but at least I don't have to look at stolen kung fu pandas running around.

STOLEN KUNG FU PANDAS!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA ARE YOU A COMEDIAN!!! YOU HAVE TO BE, YOU SURE ARE WITTY AND FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Recount is a valuable tool as well. How will they manage any sort of boss fight that would require a tight enrage timer, a boss's stacking buff, bursting of adds or an absorb shield etc? If you can't make an enrage timer how will you know what you need to change?

It's not that kinda game.

You have to act/react on the fly using visual ques and instant assessment of what's happening around you. VERY much like a FPS in that sense. Fortunately, the combat is designed so that most actions are telegraphed in some way, so once you get the hang of things you can hold your own.

You might prefer WoW combat if things like Recount are very important to you. Personally, I prefer the instinctual GW2 style, kinda reminds me of the old WoW days, before there were external tools built to manage/maintain everything for us.
UI: Wow > Gw2 - Wow's UI is superior not only to Gw2, but all other mmo's as well. Gw2 UI has more of a console than mmo feel to it.

WoW's baseline UI is actually pretty terrible for many of the mechanics. Resources, debuffs, buffs, and cooldowns are all over the screen. The modding community more than makes up for those flaws, however.

The only time I've really felt like a mod would be handy in GW2 is trying to track the different cooldowns on different weapon bars. However there's few enough swapped out that it's fairly easy to track by feel.
im at a stand point of either getting gw2 or makng another character im bored with this one and i dont know which class to make and i might just get gw2 any advice