You have entered too many instances recently.

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Is this a bug? I haven't been playing this game for too long but this is the first time I've seen this! I was trying to get a really nice shirt off a boss in Blackrock Depths so I killed him a bunch of times, I tried going back in and got that message! What do I do?
wait an hour sadly its 5 instances in a hour
I believe you are only able to run a dungeon 5 times in an hour. You just have to wait it out until you are able to re-enter
Okay, I didn't know that... what is the point of this though? It just limits my fun! :C
Yeah, wait a little while and you can go back in. They added this cap because back in Wrath instance servers would fill up.
You are limited to resetting the instances 5 times within an hour. It's been this way since Vanilla. The moment you try to enter the 6th instance, you've get that message.
What the other people said; It's 5 dungeons an hour.
You are limited to resetting the instances 5 times within an hour. It's been this way since Vanilla. The moment you try to enter the 6th instance, you've get that message.

Has it always been like that? I could have sworn it was a Wrath thing...
09/14/2012 09:36 PMPosted by Perk
is it by anychance the shirt i am wearing? :3

yes it is! a guild mate of mine has it and he told me to get it in that dungeon so I've been trying for a couple hours or so in between queue times!
09/14/2012 09:40 PMPosted by Marrela
Has it always been like that? I could have sworn it was a Wrath thing...

Since Vanilla. It was implemented to stop people farming the crap out of the lower level dungeons. It wasn't so much of a performance issue that they were fixing.
Since Vanilla. It was implemented to stop people farming the crap out of the lower level dungeons. It wasn't so much of a performance issue that they were fixing.

Well then I stand corrected. There you go folks. That's why. :D
09/14/2012 09:37 PMPosted by Azzinoth
Okay, I didn't know that... what is the point of this though? It just limits my fun! :C

When you zone into a dungeon, an instance is created on the instance server. That instance sticks around for awhile after you zone out, just in case it's needed for something (that's why you can leave, then zone back in and everything's still dead). When you reset the instance or go into a new one, another new instance is created on the instance server. There is a finite amount of space on this instance server and thus a finite number of instances that can be active at once.

During WotLK, there became a big issue with running out of instances because players were able to solo more content and blow through older content a lot faster than before. Players just trying to get into an instance their level to kill/quest were met with an "Additional instances cannot be launched" message. Over and over. For several minutes. Until one of the 5 of you who would all be repeatedly trying to zone in the whole time to get an instance would actually get in and then you could do your run.

It sucked.
09/14/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Marrela

Well then I stand corrected. There you go folks. That's why. :D

Patch 1.9 introduced it.
http://www.wowpedia.org/Instance_limitations
During WotLK, there became a big issue with running out of instances because players were able to solo more content and blow through older content a lot faster than before. Players just trying to get into an instance their level to kill/quest were met with an "Additional instances cannot be launched" message. Over and over. For several minutes. Until one of the 5 of you who would all be repeatedly trying to zone in the whole time to get an instance would actually get in and then you could do your run.

Except the solution was implemented in January 2006 with the opening of the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj.
The only problem I've ever come across with this is in areas where there are a lot of instances close together and I can't remember for the life of me which one is which. For example a few days ago I was looking for one of the Hellfire Citadell dungeons to clear out an old quest in my log.

5 minutes before I had just entered a dungeon in Terokkar to offload a quest which turned out to be just a case of talk to the guy in the entrance and lead no further, so I left and went straight to the Citadell. Been a while since I'd been there, I couldn't remember which entrance was which and I can't tell until I'm inside and the name comes up (unlike in terokkar where entering the building pops up the name before the instance portal is actually entered).

So I'm at the Citadell. I entered one, wrong one, left, entered the next one, wrong one, left, got distracted by an alli and after sorting that out forgot which entrance I last checked and entered one I'd already been in, left... finally found the right one and then realised I needed it on Heroic mode, stepped out to change that and then found I couldn't enter for having entered too many instances in too short a time.

If I'm simply farming, doesn't bother me and I think it reasonable to limit how often I can go running in to farm for a mog drop, but when I'm locked out for a while simply because there's no way to tell which dungeon entrance I'm standing in front of until I'm inside it when there's several close together is a little bit annoying.
It shouldn't be keeping the instance around if you never do anything in there like kill a mob or something to flag it as an instance to keep around for a while.
Good to know ! I had no idea, thought there were some bugs or something.

Ill have to wait, or do something else. Sighs.

Cheers,
it's Blizzards way of saying....go outside