WoW disconnects my internet completely

Mac Technical Support
Post Limit:
since Tuesday, I have had issues where I would launch the game and get disconnected after a few seconds.. my internet then completely disconnects and none of my computers are online (the internet light on my modem turns amber indicating an issue). I have FiOS, and I've had to call them up 3 times since Tuesday to have them reset my ONT in my house to regain my internet connected... simply rebooting\reseting the modem doesn't help.

I'm using a Mac with 10.8 on a wired connection.. the issue started right after I dled the most recent update. I did some searching and it seems this has been an issue over a year ago with patches but the threads never were resolved. Anyone have an idea wtf is going on?
Do you have the latest patch ?

Have you fully downloaded wow on that computer ?

What's the make / model of your modem router ?

I suspect Agent's trying to download/upload via P2P and the internet connect is freaking out because of it.
I am running the latest patch and the game is fully downloaded. Modem is an Actiontec MI424WR, which is running an up to date firmware. Issue started when I downloaded the latest small update several days ago, which took 2 attempts because the first time trying to download the patch it crapped out half way, I believe my internet was still working fine at this time. The 2nd attempt downloaded the patch fine. I can load up the game just fine, but several seconds after I'm in the world, I get disconnected from the game and my internet disconnects.

I think what you mentioned may be the cause.. I've heard the same thing in other threads reporting this issue.
I've been having this problem for the past few days as well. It most often occurs in dungeons. I've dl'd the latest patch, fully downloaded wow. My modem is an Insight-issued Arris; my router is a Netgear Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router. Unlike some of the people reporting the same issue with their PCs, I can pull my internet back up without having to reboot the router and modem.
First make sure agent.exe , wow.exe , wow-64.exe or launcher.exe are not running. Restart if it's easier.

Then go to Mac HD -> Users -> Shared -> Battle.net

Once at the battle.net folder go to Agent folder and open agent.db in a text editor (eg TextEdit)

Find the value "p2penabled" and change it from true to false. Then save.

Then see if it's still disconnecting you.
I tried changing that value to false.. no luck, still got disconnected. I called up verizon for the 6th time to help me reset my connection and asked them if they block any ports.. just a couple they block (IIRC 25 inbound, 80, and one other - don't remember exactly what ports the guy said).
the rep at verizon also mentioned that it seems as though my modem is being wiped from it's IP... their end shows that I'm maintaining a connection and is not reaching out to connect my modem again.. or something along those lines.
So, have you tried nuking all temp files and nuking some additional files to see if the game is truly up to date? I've seen the launcher state times where it says up to date, but it is not, thus still downloading items in the background.

Try this:

1. Navigate to /Applications/World of Warcraft
    2. Move the WTF, Cache and Interface folders to the desktop
    3. Delete the WoW.mfil, WoW.tfil, WoW.pfil files
    3. Now go into the Data folder and delete the Cache folder
    4. Navigate to /Users/Shared and delete the Battle.net folder
    5. Launch the World of Warcraft Launcher. Let all updates apply and hit Play when Game is up to date is displayed.
I installed the game from scratch since I received a new HDD and the issue still continued. I'll try those steps when I get home.
Do you have a linksys router?

This is very common on them
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=linksys+router&f=post&forum=1011702

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3580919266

Some models simply just need a firmware update. This issue has come up repeatedly over the years and it's almost always a linksys router/modem involved, and almost no one remembers to ask "is it a linksys" but me ;)
I can log in to the game and play for roughly 5-10 minutes then I get a lag spike and my wow disconnects and my internet shuts off, I have to restart my computer and my internet is working again when I boot my computer up. I haven't fully downloaded the wow 5.0.5 patch but this issue never occurred before this with previous patches, people tell me to update my firmware but I don't know how to....

Please help :)
So, have you tried nuking all temp files and nuking some additional files to see if the game is truly up to date? I've seen the launcher state times where it says up to date, but it is not, thus still downloading items in the background.

Try this:

1. Navigate to /Applications/World of Warcraft
    2. Move the WTF, Cache and Interface folders to the desktop
    3. Delete the WoW.mfil, WoW.tfil, WoW.pfil files
    3. Now go into the Data folder and delete the Cache folder
    4. Navigate to /Users/Shared and delete the Battle.net folder
    5. Launch the World of Warcraft Launcher. Let all updates apply and hit Play when Game is up to date is displayed.

What should be done with the three folders you said to move to the desktop?
Okay, yeah, this solution didn't work. I followed those steps and still disconnected almost immediately after. It's really weird, because it seems to happen every time I go into one of the caves in Dread Wastes. I can be questing out in the open just fine, but the second I go into one of those caves, the disconnect happens. Four times now it's happened, and I know it was in the caves because my computer's sound starts to stutter the same exact way each time.
Yeah, I have the same problem, I can't play WoW anymore.. :( I've done a lot to try and fix it. Suddenly this morning for some reason I just disconnect instantly after I select my character, everything is frozen, and not only that, my whole internet goes down while I'm logged in, as soon as I turn WoW off my net comes back again.

PS. Not using Linksys, got a Thomson router. It's weird that everything happened so suddenly.

Edit: It turns out its to do with addons. I just had recently updated healbot and thats what the problem was. Disabling addons wasn't enough, so I deleted it and restarted my computer and everything works perfectly! :D hope this helps.
10/09/2012 04:02 PMPosted by Bianca
Edit: It turns out its to do with addons. I just had recently updated healbot and thats what the problem was. Disabling addons wasn't enough, so I deleted it and restarted my computer and everything works perfectly! :D hope this helps.

This is good advice, as some addons, even when disabled, cause issues like this.
I have hughesnet gen 4 (actually it is installed through DishNet but it runs on Hughesnet Gen 4 Technology). I ran into this problem just the other day when I upgraded my satellite and finally found the answer on another forum. I thought my ISP was throttling the P2P or torrent type connection but it ended up being the Web Acceleration on my new Hughesnet (Dishnet) HT1000 modem. To fix this go to the modem address: http://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/index.cgi?Command=1. it is the Hughesnet system control center. Then disable Web Acceleration. This worked for me. I hope it works for you all as well.
i have this exact same issue i get a lag spike usually in a dungeon then disconnected and my hard wired ethernet connection shuts off the modem and router seem to be normal and restarting my computer restores the internet.
I
Its sad to say but this problem is very common. and so far has not been resolved. personally i would like to think that this is a server problem on blizzards end but really there's no proof of that. and there's no real proof its on our end either. hopefully blizzard will work it out