Glyph of Riptide: Yay or Ney?

Shaman
Advice? I'm wondering if it's worth sacrificing the initial heal. Also, it's starting to feel like we're sub-par resto druids.
Ive tried it for pvp, i love it.... can have it out on 4 to 5 ppl in no time.

Then natures swiftness plus racial/and prof cd's for some quick and potent chain heals{ 20 or 25%}? extra heals on the folks with tide on em?

Havent tried it for PvE at all so couldnt tell ya in the dept.
i personally (pve standpoint) dont use RT as a blanket hot. If I want blanket heals I'm using an AoE rotation like... drop healing rain, drop healing stream, chain heal if necessary. I find the initial heal great to pop somebody up and as a filler spell on tanks.

now when mop hits... i can see it being used on fights that people spread out more... but for ds it just doesnt seem practical to me.
hit and miss

Makes me feel like a weak druid
I love it. Here's why:

1. Having no cooldown on RT means I can spread it out quickly to those who need it, as opposed to waiting 6 seconds as it usually is.

2. Riptide with no cooldown means I can have Tidal Waves practially 100% of the time, making all of my Wave spells faster to cast and (if I use it) Surge having a greater chance to Crit.

3. Chain Heal no longer consumes Riptide, so I can cast Riptide on a target first followed by Chain to get a good initial heal off the bat.

It's primarily #2 that makes me love the glyph the most.
Yeah I like it.. having tidal waves all the time is great, and I use it where there's no incoming damage and I just need some healing on someone to get them topped off. I don't miss the initial heal at all.
I was really excited about the glyph at first, UNTIL I used it. I realized how much I relied on the initial heal of riptide. I can see how it may be beneficial in some fights when the damage is steady and people are spread, but I can't see myself using it as a standard glyph.

I also realized it was really easy to go oom when you overused it.

09/18/2012 08:25 AMPosted by Pharaa
1. Having no cooldown on RT means I can spread it out quickly to those who need it, as opposed to waiting 6 seconds as it usually is.

If someone really NEEDS a heal, you don't want to rely on a glyphed riptide since the initial heal is gimped. It should be treated as any other hot, and be preemptive in advance of damage, or when you know someone doesn't need to be topped off right away.

2. Riptide with no cooldown means I can have Tidal Waves practially 100% of the time, making all of my Wave spells faster to cast and (if I use it) Surge having a greater chance to Crit.

I generally have tidal waves up practically 100% of the time, (now that it's not consumed by chain heal) and the extra charge with the set bonus will ensure that.

I really think it'll boil down to your playstyle, the fight mechanics and who your healing team is. I definitely wouldn't use it if I was running with a rdruid.
From my experience it's very useful with the ability to cause a GREAT disaster if not used properly.
When testing it out on the Beta I found that I was casting it WAYYYYY too much.
Believe it or not. It's not a cheap ability when you use it on 4-6 people even.
It's incredible for having constant tidal waves.
But like I said. You can't cast it too much. You don't want constant tidal waves just to spam Healing Wave. You really have to utilize this glyph. It takes healing just a second to get used to and is though some may disagree it is very situational...
I use it. Healing Wave. and Healing Stream Totem. I tried out the Chain Heal and didn't appreciate the CD on Chain Heal when I need to keep my raid up. (I'm talking about Glyphs. Not spells)
Using these I have no problem clearing 8/8HM and being top heals in BG's.
But seriously. Don't use Riptide like a Rejuve. You'll OOM and cause wipes or whole BG's to fail miserably.

Also want to add that the initial heal of Riptide without the Glyph shouldn't be something people rely on. If you have to rely on the initial heal you're doing something wrong because the initial heal is very small where as you can use the Riptide to gain Tidal Waves where your GHW becomes a more efficient Healing Surge.
If you use Healing Surge in PvE you should change how you play. There is LITERALLY no use for it. With Tidal Waves even if you're Mastery Heavy> Haste Heavy your Greater Healing Wave will heal for more. Will be very close to the mana cost. Will also be very close to the cast time.
In short.. Healing Surge will OOM you like it's nobodies business. And Riptides Initial Heal is about as reliable as the Heal from Unleash Elements.
It's primarily #2 that makes me love the glyph the most.

In PvP at the moment with how OP heals are, The initial heal is > then no cd, IMHO.

Now being said, i do believe in 90 PVP, it will be personal preference.
I'm going by a purely PvE perspective, myself, since I hate PvP with a passion. But in PvE this glyph is wonderful.
I went a week with the glyph and then last week without the glyph. Pretty sure i will never use the glyph again. Removing the front end heal and chance to restore mana through resurgence isn't a good thing as resurgence is now 1 of the 2 ways we can recoup mana. Plus once the T14 set is aquired the 1 second gap in a spam rotation is now gone.
For now, I haven't had any mana troubles, nothing either a Mana Tide or Mana Pot can't fix. Whether that will change in MoP at 90, I don't know yet. We shall see, but I'm sticking with it for now.
09/18/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Harpoa
I went a week with the glyph and then last week without the glyph. Pretty sure i will never use the glyph again. Removing the front end heal and chance to restore mana through resurgence isn't a good thing as resurgence is now 1 of the 2 ways we can recoup mana. Plus once the T14 set is aquired the 1 second gap in a spam rotation is now gone.

The Riptide glyph does not remove your chance to restore mana through Resurgence. The up-front, Resurgence-proccing heal is still there, but only heals for 10% as much.

Personally I don't think the Glyph of Riptide is the answer to 10player-raiding Resto Shamans' woes, but it is a good start. You just can't afford (at level 90, at least for probably the first tier of the expansion) to spam it like a druid's Rejuvenation. Its efficiency and throughput just aren't that good. But if you use it wisely/strategically, to boost Chain Heals or to keep Tidal Waves up when Chain Heal isn't an option, then it can be very beneficial. (Until you get 4pc t14. But that's gonna take a while, I imagine.)
I have found it to be a mana-hog more than anything. The initial heal of a RT is not very high, but still not quite low, and is usually more likely to do actual healing while the HoT component is prone to overheal. On a fight like H Zon'ozz 10 I would have LOVED to have it (RT would be my #1 or #2 heal, with 25% of my healing done there, usually), but I can't think of any fight where I would want to become a gimped druid.
Its is great for PvE where you man need to spread lots of HoT. But in PvP I would never use i, Especially in arenas. There are many instances where you cannot get a cast off due to pressure and unleashing + Riptide is a great way to keep people up since it can actually crit fairly hard. Its the only true non-casted heal shaman have(This is excluding totems, earthshield and the proc chance weapon enchant), don't want to gimp it.
for all the people toting how much you gain from tidal waves... let me remind you that you already have 2 charges per 6 seconds (if using RT on CD) so at best you are looking at 1 hasted/crit bonus heal over the initial RT heal. The differences between the 2 are... almost nothing... everything you gain from tidal waves is lost from the initial heal.
I don't like the feel of it. It throws off my rhythm.

My Resto rhythm.
09/18/2012 08:03 PMPosted by Dayani
The Riptide glyph does not remove your chance to restore mana through Resurgence.

Strange, i have not seen it proc resurgence when i had it glyphed. Not saying that it doesn't but thats odd.
I didn't think that I'd like it in beta because it didn't proc Resurgence and it messed with my little rotation to fit Lightning Bolts in for Telluric Currents, but then they fixed the Resurgence problem and nerfed Telluric Currents to only be a minor increase.

Now, I love the glyph. Portable, on demand Tidal Waves charges are just awesome. For PvP, the glyph really makes Shamans a healing powerhouse with an instant cast HoT that has a HPS that is half that of the typical DPS of one player AND fast casting single target heals immediately following.