WoW Losing Its Social Aspect

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 26 Next

I'm also looking forward to joining with a set group of people, traveling to an instance location out in the world, and zoning in for Challenge Modes. I'll just have more choices on any given night of queuing for something, or joining friends/guild mates to tackle content that requires more of a coordinated strategy.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Challenge modes as well, as "very-difficult 5p's" is something I've been wanting. I even like the gear-neutrality aspect of it so that people won't be "undergeared" or "overgeared" for it. I can't wait!

Perhaps this isn't the time or place to ask the question though, but one thing I always liked about the old style "LF1M" way of forming groups was how you'd meet new people on your realm, which formed friendships, which formed feeder guilds, which formed raid guilds.. and formed much of the community.

I was wondering if Challenge modes will have something similar to /LFD (or same server)?
There are still many facets of the game where socializing and communicating are mandatory. While maintaining the MMO nature, what we've been doing over the years is work to provide something for people to do when they don't have a lot of friends online, or not a lot of people on their realm who are willing or able to run a dungeon, or a Battleground.

This game has always had a broad appeal. We're committed to striking a balance between very social gameplay, and progression on a more individual level. We work to create systems to support different play styles so that, ideally, you get to choose how you want to spend your time in the game -- knowing that you progressed your character in some fashion by the time you log out.

Players are self-sufficient from 1-max and running into other players is almost never beneficial. They always TAKE when in the proximity of each other. This competition leads to players staying far away from others as much as possible, and getting annoyed when others show up.

It takes a lot of work to make a community this bad.
In regards to silent dungeon groups: I just don't experience this problem. From what I've seen, groups tend to be silent if you're silent, but once you make the first effort to break the ice, most people -- not all, but most -- are happy to talk. A paladin and I were waiting for a new tank after a wipe in GB today, and we had a nice little chat. He was giggling about how the tooltip for Blitz refers to you being "knocked up."

Again, this is the one aspect of the game Blizzard really can't help you with. You want to be social? Be social. No one is stopping you.

I can see why players dont socialize anymore in this game though....I had played GW2 for the past few weeks and decided to hop into WoW for a bit having not played for nearly a year....I ask a simple question about some of the changes ingame, and you get nothing but flamed or told learn to read and called idiot by several little "kids".

Such a hostile community...its no wonder some of us players dont want to talk to anybody.

Also this. I know I've become a lot less inclined to be social in this game as a result of the fact that most of the people I meet are bigots, trolls, elitists, noobs, or griefers. Or, often, all of the above.

That's why i like GW community more for the moment, the community there is very friendly and helpful (in my experience) you ask a question on the channel and you get 2-3 responses of other players trying to help you, if you ask those things here you get flamed to death.

The Secret World is the same way. It was weird to ask for advice on something and get useful, helpful answers. So not used to that.
09/13/2012 08:39 PMPosted by Gannon
Seems all the arguments lately are blizz didn't design something this way or that....ok....why are we hearing all the 6 years later all the sudden? Obviously if it was that important it would have never gotten to the way it is....but it has and I like the way it is and I plan to voice my opinion no matter what ridiculous people such as yourself think.

We've been hearing it the entire life of the game. Blizzard wants everyone to have the ability to have a social expeience.

This is why group quests used to be in the game, this is why world bosses existed... The intention was never to try to keep some servers at a low population so that people can play without being around a bunch of other people. Those server populations were just because new people stopped coming to the game and getting put on those servers as the recommended server.
I recently did RaF with my girlfriend and I realized how less social WoW is now. I realized this when she kept telling me how boring it was when she was on because she didn't know anyone. Back when I started playing, there was no cross-realm and you had to ask trade chat to join groups to do dungeons, which you actually had to communicate in. You needed to join a good active guild to survive well. My point is you had to be social and make friends to truly play the game. It's difficult to find social groups besides guilds.

To Blizzard: Do you intend on bringing any of this some what mandatory socialization back to the game?

A few things I would suggest to you and your girlfriend -

1. Socialization is both ways. If you sit back waiting for everybody else to be social, you could be waiting a long time. There is no harm in initiating social activity yourself.

2. If you guys are doing RAF and constantly grouped with each other, its limiting her ability to meet new people.

Just some thoughts to keep in mind. I'm always in favor of being in charge of your own destiny. This means taking some chances, branching out and if you want something, then go about getting it.

I hope your girlfriend find some nice people but I have a feeling she'll need to be the one to initiate any conversations.
09/13/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Holycrapp
Blizz destroying server community with all the cross realm stuff is what killed this game. Noone cares about people you are never gonna see again - which is everyone now with all the cross realm everything.

Did Blizzard destroy the community by adding cross-realm stuff, or was cross-realm stuff added because the community was already destroyed?

Seriously, how many times did you spend literally hours trying to do gundrak, but nobody wanted to because that wasn't the daily? Funny how many people forget about that.
Y'know, one major thing that I think contributes to the concerns here is that you're rewarded more for grouping up with people you'll probably never see again than putting together a group yourself. Using randoms gives a special buff throughout the dungeon and nets you extra gear/JP at the end, so people have little incentive to put together a group themselves.

How about that gets switched around? Give the extra loot or some other perk to the people who take the time to use the old method of finding a group themselves, trekking over to the dungeon entrance, and running it old-school style. Makes more sense than rewarding the people to went to no effort to get in; randoms may be a gamble in terms of who you group with, but finding new people or leaving to find a new group isn't that difficult.
09/13/2012 08:55 PMPosted by Nassin
And finally, how could bad players get better if no body grouped with them??? How did tanks or healers become better if they we're unable to escape the black list.

If you were truly bad enough to be "blacklisted" why should anyone have any obligation to help you improve your toon?

It takes a lot of work to make an entire server angry at you.

Luckily almost all of us never actually kept a black list and just ran with whoever... If you were a problem in group, or you were doing THAT bad and not making any effort at all to take helpful advice and improve, then we'd just kick you.

Nobody really kept track of "this player's a jerk, so don't group with him"
Y'know, one major thing that I think contributes to the concerns here is that you're rewarded more for grouping up with people you'll probably never see again than putting together a group yourself. Using randoms gives a special buff throughout the dungeon and nets you extra gear/JP at the end, so people have little incentive to put together a group themselves.

How about that gets switched around? Give the extra loot or some other perk to the people who take the time to use the old method of finding a group themselves, trekking over to the dungeon entrance, and running it old-school style. Makes more sense than rewarding the people to went to no effort to get in; randoms may be a gamble in terms of who you group with, but finding new people or leaving to find a new group isn't that difficult.

My premade groups farm heroic madness... I think that's way more of a benefit than any damage buff will give me :D They out-dps the random people with the damage buffs.

You're missing the point. Before the queueing system, you actually had to - the horror - communicate with people on your server in order to form a group and do a dungeon. Shocking, I know. If you sucked at your particular role, you either got better, or people stopped grouping with you. If you were good, people sought you out. THAT is building a community.

Now you just push a button, get grouped up with up to four strangers, play your role, and never need to communicate with any of them, or ever even see them again. If you sucked at your role, what did it matter, you could just queue again and get four new strangers. If you were good, again, what did it matter, you could just queue again and get four new strangers. That is NOT building a community, but that IS the game we have now.

I get your point. But I don't like the idea that my personal progression on the game hinges on other people's availability. And in my case, they were almost never around. And I was the kind of player who knew his class, etc.

We as players already know the inns and outs of a dungeon, so what is the point of communicating something we already know?

And finally, how could bad players get better if no body grouped with them??? How did tanks or healers become better if they we're unable to escape the black list.

Your arguments reek of nostalgia, I'm sorry.

They either got better or they didn't. That was then. Now, they don't NEED to get better. That's kind of my point - there's no penalty for being a bad player now.
09/13/2012 06:20 PMPosted by Zarhym
knowing that you progressed your character in some fashion by the time you log out

The old social greatness of WoW meant your character progression would suffer by some degree? That's how I remember it
OK I will make this as much to the point as I can.

Once upon a time players actually had to /who warrior, druid, priest, paladin to find a tank, or a healer, once upon a time players had to sit in a city spamming trade chat for more players for their 5 - 10 man groups, once upon a time people actually HAD to step outside of their realm of comfort to just start a group, which in turn CREATED a MUCH, MUCH more social game.

I made dozens of allies, friends, companions, what have you in vanilla and early days of burning Crusade from starting groups and building them together, getting each other involved in the group just to run a 10 man Stratholme, or a 5 man Dire Maul, and that lead to me getting invited to future groups and possible guild recruitment or just an 'extra' for raids.

When the automated systems were set in place, I noticed a decline in community within servers, I noticed a decline in social aspects of this game, and to be honest I got kinda bored. Because I WAS the guy who initiated the groups or started to put them together, I enjoyed doing that. Catch me trying that in trade chat now days and people assume I am a superman able to one shot everything in my path.

The social aspects of this game were taken away year ago, but it's become more evident not unfortunately.