When "do it yourself" goes horribly wrong

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Hi everyone

My new msi 1g 7770 ghz edition just arrived today, i installed it and my monitor's screen stays blank.

Here is my system info Operating System
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Core i5 3450 @ 3.10GHz 35 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI Z77MA-G45 (MS-7759) (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
Graphics
Standard Monitor (1280x1024@1Hz)
Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Hard Drives
279GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD300LJ ATA Device (SATA) 32 °C
Optical Drives
HP DVD Writer 1260t ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I am going to replace the hard drive and operating system next paycheck.

right now i am using standard vga graphics adapter to post here, when i switch to graphic card out put it goes blank. Right now the graphic card is there, the fan is running but no sign of the hardware on my pc.

What am i doing wrong?

Edit: I have a 750 watt 80 plus bronze PSU.
Here's how I fixed this with my computer. I placed my 7970 in the bottom pcie slot which strangely worked, flashed the newest motherboard bios, then put it back in the top slot and it worked.

Asrock z77 extreme4
Radeon hd 7970
what do you mean by "flashed the newest motherboard bios" ?
Find your motherboard drivers online and look for the most updated bios. The windows installer is the easiest version if they give you the option. Update the bios while your gpu is in the bottom pcie slot.
ok, thank you zach, gonna try that and will post the updates.
I gave up on this thing....i purchased a hard drive but couldn't use it because it didn't have an operating system on it. last night i was using my old hard drive with windows vista on it when it died on me. now i have to buy windows 7 and probably full version since my hard drive with windows vista died and no way to get an upgrade to a dead item.

That will cost me like 200 and this video card is not working cause my system can't detect it...i am already running at around 800 spent and no working computer lol

gonna return them all buy a pc around 600 to run wow at around 30-50 fps.

what sucks about returning stuff is that some of them might not accept my returns, the ones that do charge 15% restocking fee and on top of that i have to pay for shipping to get the stuff returned.

i still havent' returned anything yet, i don't know if i should start returning or buy a windows 7 install it on new hard drive and try to get this video card working....i am soooo confused
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM is $95. That's what you need.
i hope you plugged the PCI express cables into them

you can ask a friend to let you use their wins7 disc or download you a copy online and use the 30day trial to get your comp started.
the amd website got an auto detector but their auto detector couldn't detect any video cards on my computer. i was in the process of downloading the drivers manually when the hard drive died on me ...old hard drive can't blame it..

where can i download a trial version of windows 7? even if it is for two days.

right now i am using this toshiba labtop that i bought like seven years ago or so it was sitting in my basement all this time...it is slow as hell and had to update stuff for like an hour to get it working..my room is a mess with all the boxes..it is almost 11 pm and i gotta get up early for work..sorry i know i shouldn't type all this but i am frustrated lol

I just want a working system to play wow like two hours or so a day, doing random bgs and stuff nothing serious or demanding
There's no "trial version" of Windows 7 right now, but you can try Windows 8, which is available as a RC testing version, and is fully legit.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-preview
thanks kal, gonna leave pc on and go to bed, hopefully i will have a semi working os in the morning lol
There's no "trial version" of Windows 7 right now, but you can try Windows 8, which is available as a RC testing version, and is fully legit.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-preview

My advice: Stay away from windows 8 right now.
I was pretty sure windows 7 give you 30days to activate it at least I got it on my last format which was a couple days ago. but you can use windows 8 to do some test work since my friend is currently using it.
Ok, windows 8 trial version needs to be installed after downloading in order to work, i can't install it on a new hard drive with no operating system on it. I just ordered windows 7...will it work on a new hard drive easy? I really wanna play wow within the first or second week of MOP release ^_^

PS: you guys are probably sick of me and my problems, but see yourself in my shoes for a minute hehe. btw, thanks for all the help you guys rock
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM? Yes, it should work just fine perfectly.

I would take the card and test it on another computer though, if possible.