2H vs Dual Wield - Frost PvP?

Death Knight
Any advantage to using DW in PvP? They have pretty much the same sustained damage, but 2H seems to burst significantly harder due to Obliterate.
dw bursts harder on heavier armored targets since its main sources of damage ignore armor

2h tends to burst harder on lower armored targets due to obliterate hitting like a truck since its purely physical damage
DW advantage

More KMs
Better sustain damage
able to use runes for utility easier (not shooting off 2 rune attacks)

2hnd Advantage

Better spike dmg vs Casters

2hnd frosts boon prior to MoP pre-patch was better RP generation from Might of the Frozen Wastes (this is now gone) which allowed 2hnd Frost to more reliably have Runic Power for Utility over DWing.

DW Frosts boon was higher sustain damage from Razor Ice on Howling Blasts and much more KM procs. DW frost would regularily take 8 pts into blood for better RP generation through Scent of Blood and time its burst with 1 minute strangs.

Now that RP generation is basicly normalized for both variations of frost 2hnd vs DW the benefit of 2hnd Frost is mainly in OBliterating clothies.

DW frost still has its higher KM rate and Higher HB damage from Razor Ice but now it also has significantly better Frost strikes in Comparison and has easier rune management since it can switch to single rune DPS if it chooses too.

Either way make a Weapon swap Macro and use both depending on who your fighting and what you need.
I came back to the game about a week ago after a 7 month break. I rerolled onto a new server to play with some friends and decided to level a DK first. I already had 2 85 DKs on other servers so I was familiar with the playstyle, but I had never done much PVP with either of them.

Once we get to 90, we are planning on doing some semi-serious 3v3 as a rogue/resto shaman/DK comp. Which spec is going to go best with them?
a pally
H'okay, here we go. I am Trenk, Purveyor of Dual Wield Frost Information.

Over the 2-3 GCD span, 2H Frost will outperform DW Frost. Nothing can outdamage those initial Obliterates, especially not with a KM proc or two. One time, I got three or something in a row and the healer died before even I realized what was happening. With Killing Machine and Obliterate, 2H Frost has the potential to end the fight at any point due to high random burst - assuming, of course, you have the presence of mind to follow up on it. It also has higher damage on lower armor targets like priests. It's nice for burst comps like TSG or Warrior-DK in arenas, where you don't expect the target to survive your whole rotation.

On the other hand, dual wield far exceeds 2H in terms of DPS that is sustained over the course of 7-9 GCDs, particularly against higher armor targets. It's controlled burst (IE when CDs are popped) is correspondingly higher than 2H. If you're running Blood Tap, as you should be, this provides more opportunities for on-spot dispels and Necrotic Strikes, giving you a stronger anti-caster presence. Overall, it is the better pressure specc and against spellcleaves or anytime you need to split DPS, I advise it.

Hope this helped.
2h simply because : It's less Conq points to get your weapon, and you only need 1 weapon to switch between Frost / Unholy for RBGS / Arena.

Simple, none of the hooplah !@#$.

If you are playing blood I have some sad news for you from the 5.1 patch notes...

That is false statement blizzard, like the nice people they still are lowered the price of 1h weapons to match the price of 2h weapons. The only difference now is a small stat loss.
don't trust anyone from moon guard, gross!
H'okay, here we go. I am Trenk, Purveyor of Dual Wield Frost Information.

Over the 2-3 GCD span, 2H Frost will outperform DW Frost. Nothing can outdamage those initial Obliterates, especially not with a KM proc or two. One time, I got three or something in a row and the healer died before even I realized what was happening. With Killing Machine and Obliterate, 2H Frost has the potential to end the fight at any point due to high random burst - assuming, of course, you have the presence of mind to follow up on it. It also has higher damage on lower armor targets like priests. It's nice for burst comps like TSG or Warrior-DK in arenas, where you don't expect the target to survive your whole rotation.

On the other hand, dual wield far exceeds 2H in terms of DPS that is sustained over the course of 7-9 GCDs, particularly against higher armor targets. It's controlled burst (IE when CDs are popped) is correspondingly higher than 2H. If you're running Blood Tap, as you should be, this provides more opportunities for on-spot dispels and Necrotic Strikes, giving you a stronger anti-caster presence. Overall, it is the better pressure specc and against spellcleaves or anytime you need to split DPS, I advise it.

Hope this helped.

Helped a lot
I much prefer DW. I feel like 2hd relies too much on obliterates and I simply didn't like that.

I like the amount of damage I put out with FS and HB, both do solid damage and don't require the set-up for obliterate. And it is easier to have the runes available for necrotic strike and soul reaper.
I much prefer DW. I feel like 2hd relies too much on obliterates and I simply didn't like that.

I like the amount of damage I put out with FS and HB, both do solid damage and don't require the set-up for obliterate. And it is easier to have the runes available for necrotic strike and soul reaper.
i feel 2h being so tied into doing damage with oblit is what really kills the weapon choice. 2h needs something to spread out some of its damage to another ability otherwise its going to be eating the nerfbat due to pvp crybabies.
2h was much more bursty for me.
If you are DW, this is what you do.

Step 1. Stack Masteries
Step 2. Dark Simulacrum a Mage that casts Frost Bomb
Step 3. ??????
Step 4. Profit.
If you are DW, this is what you do.

Step 1. Stack Masteries
Step 2. Dark Simulacrum a Mage that casts Frost Bomb
Step 3. ??????
Step 4. Profit.

gl simming that frost bomb when your deeped .-.
Now we gotta take into account that upgrading 1H weapons costs the same as upgrading 2H, so DW's twice as expensive...
11/18/2012 08:50 AMPosted by Gluteus
don't trust anyone from moon guard, gross!
Ew... Moon Guard. I thought you people played this game to RP and look pretty, not to kill things.