What do you think of the disqualifiers?

Movies, TV and Entertainment
The disqualifiers for the U.S. Armed force that is. What do you all think of the US Armed forces having disqualifications for certain disorders? Autism (and Aspergers Syndrome is surprisingly not included as a disqualifier in some cases from what I've seen), Bipolar Disorder, Mental Retardation, Depression, some cases of ADHD and ADD if they are on medication, Schizophrenia and being Emotionally Disturbed are good examples of it. If any of you wanted to join the military and you are an automatic disqualifier because of a disability, feel free to leave some comments about it. Don't comment if you are elgible, I'm not because of the fact that I suffered from short term memory loss earlier in the year and it was diagnosed by a doctor, even though it has gone away over time.
I don't speak about the war all too often. But I'm not sure I can trust someone with emotional problems to have a weapon.

Then again it sure sounds like the sane ones are up to their own problems. Like the jerk who recorded him dropping a puppy off a cliff. There is not enough swear words I can say for that guy.
The reason they exist is because the military can't exactly use people who have critical mental or emotional disorders. If your disorder can cause you to make irrational decisions and the ability to not do what's necessary to complete an assignment or to save the life of a comrade, then you shouldn't be in the military.

Sure, some minor issues your recruiter can push hard to get you in, however what you listed in your post makes you a liability to your brothers in a combat situation.
09/20/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Darthvixxen
i came into the Army in 2000 needing a waiver for unilateral hearing loss. before that i had been trying for the Air Force and Navy for 9 years. the trick is how hard your recruiter is willing to futz the system to get you in. i have met all sorts of obvious unqualifieds in the service while I was active duty, and it comes down to how well you can suppress the symptoms while being screened at MEPS

I saw a mildly retarded person in the military before since he was high functioning and his condition wasn't obvious. He even shared the condiition with other people, and people still respected him since him being slow didn't effect his function or how combat style.
09/20/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Danget
i came into the Army in 2000 needing a waiver for unilateral hearing loss. before that i had been trying for the Air Force and Navy for 9 years. the trick is how hard your recruiter is willing to futz the system to get you in. i have met all sorts of obvious unqualifieds in the service while I was active duty, and it comes down to how well you can suppress the symptoms while being screened at MEPS

I saw a mildly retarded person in the military before since he was high functioning and his condition wasn't obvious. He even shared the condiition with other people, and people still respected him since him being slow didn't effect his function or how combat style.

And for every one like that, there would be 10 more who can't function effectively and would cost lives.