MoP 5.4 Elemental Guide: Zap that Orc!

Shaman
Prev 1 11 12 13 29 Next
I wouldn't be surprised to see mastery have a good edge at that point with an EB spec. The only way to know for sure is to sim it though. The reforge plot function is your friend :D
>_> Why was this thread on the Blue Tracker?
It's listed as post 222 in the tracker and 222 is missing.

Someone goofed and got sacked, methinks.
Don't say that about my gist, hes pro and REALLY cool.
11/03/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Pathogenix

Spacegoats are not cool.
11/03/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Liax

Spacegoats are not cool.

QFT
Wait what? Blue trackers says he was quoting my BiS lists.

I think this is time to update the entire thread >.>

Part of it was probably the bracers in the H BiS list, which is likely inaccurate since those particular bracers are BoE raid drops which means they likely have no heroic equivalent.

Edit: Guide is now caught up, with an extra touch or two.
Probably missed the "sticky" button and hit "quote" instead.
11/04/2012 01:38 AMPosted by Azreluna
Probably missed the "sticky" button and hit "quote" instead.

Was stickied already though :<

Ah well. Doesn't matter much beyond giving my guide some views I guess.
And a wonderful guide it is, been considering turning my trusty enhancement shaman into Elemental (partly due to ease of gearing with resto) and really had no idea where to start with it all.

Now I have some good jump off points and things to aim for, thank you very much for this guide!
Thoughts about the Elementarist addon? Is it accurate etc for a rotation assistant?
11/07/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Blightah
Thoughts about the Elementarist addon? Is it accurate etc for a rotation assistant?

Haven't ever used it. If I had to guess it would be analogous to Shock & Awe for Enhancement. Good for learning the rotation, but to master it you need to learn to play without it. Better addons for helping you keep an eye on your rotation would be addons such as Power Auras Classic (Liax had a good string for that addon a page ago,) Weakauras (Google Endus Elemental Auras,) or NeedtoKnow (admittedly don't know much about this one other than that it provides features similar to the other two I mentioned.)
With the rotation, I see you have LB before EB.

I've found that I do quite a good bit more damage when I do EB before LB.

Because with the 3k boost to the certain stat, it makes LB much more effective with the added on crit from Flame Shock.
LB is lightning bolt bro. LvB is Lava Burst.

WHY DON'T PEOPLE KNOW THIS.

LvB is better than EB though. That's just a fact. The stat gain isn't lost if you don't use it on LvB, and LvB outdoes EB damage, not to mention its cooldown can be reset randomly by flame shock ticks. If you delay LvB you have the potential to waste lava surge procs which is a loss in DPS.

Basically what you're doing by EBing before LvB is attempting to make your LvB numbers look fancier, which is actually going to be sometimes wasted if it's a critical strike buff, and the haste portion isn't terrible effective on LvB as well, which leaves you with mastery as the one that has the most impact. What you're seeing, when you have that increased mastery proc on LvB casts, is fancier numbers show up on your screen, but that doesn't mean it's mathematically better. It's akin to UEing before LvB because it makes lava burst damage look pretty. It may make our numbers LOOK better, but that's just it...it makes it look better, not be better.
With the rotation, I see you have LB before EB.

I've found that I do quite a good bit more damage when I do EB before LB.

Because with the 3k boost to the certain stat, it makes LB much more effective with the added on crit from Flame Shock.

1) LB = Lightning Bolt
LvB = Lava Burst

It's like using SS to try and talk about something as a hunter. Nobody has any idea whether you're talking about Serpent Sting, Steady Shot, or are trolling them and instead are a Rogue in disguise talking about Shadow Step.

2) There are several things that contribute to making Lava Burst better damage than Elemental Blast. They are:

A) With current crit rates Lava Burst will do more damage on average than Elemental blast will even when factoring in the buff. On avearge the buff is worth ~34000 damage when haste or mastery and a little less when crit (closer to about 30k.) Even with that boost Lava Burst will on average straight up outdamage Elemental Blast because of the 100% crit rate on it.

B) Lower cast time. Not only is Lava Burst straight up more damage, but it also has an additional 33.3% edge in dps because Elemental Blast's cast time is that much longer over Lava Burst

100% crit rate and a lower cast time. The two factors combine to make Lava Burst better damage per cast and MUCH better damage per time casting over the course of a fight. The buff doesn't come remotely close to bridging the gap. In fact, the buff only just barely covers the difference between EB and ES+Fulmination.

Any differences you're seeing are going to be almost entirely due to either gimmicks or fundamental flaws with how you're testing them.
Wow I've never been ripped apart so much for forgetting to put a v in between the L and the B.

And I understand the reasoning Gistwiki per your lower cast time explanation.

I played around with it on the dummies in Org, and I guess maybe I'm doing something weird because there wasn't much of a difference in dps overall.

However, I did notice that the initial burst of dps was quicker towards the beginning before tapering off like it normally does. (at least for me)
11/09/2012 10:58 PMPosted by Tazjiin
Wow I've never been ripped apart so much for forgetting to put a v in between the L and the B.

I tried to be polite about it, but then the Serpent Sting reference crossed my mind and that went out the window. Sorry >.>

I played around with it on the dummies in Org

Ehhhhhh. Dummies aren't terribly representative of what you'll see out in the real world. Math however applies pretty much everywhere :D

and I guess maybe I'm doing something weird because there wasn't much of a difference in dps overall.

Couldn't tell you what the relative difference would be as I haven't tried to play with that particular setup in simc. Maybe after I get my new compy in a couple weeks though :<

However, I did notice that the initial burst of dps was quicker towards the beginning before tapering off like it normally does. (at least for me)

Hrm. Interesting. I'm sleepy, so that doesn't make much sense right now but it may make more sense in the morning. I'll look again after I wake up -.-
I have yet another question for you fine shaman gurus. With elemental blast and echo of the elements what order of our abilities do you find having the highest burst? For example i usually prepot throw up flame shock > lava burst > elemental blast > ascendance/fire elemental macro > stormlash totem > spam lava burst. Lust is tied in there depending on the boss. I know it's probably a dumb question but i was honestly curious what other people find themselves doing? I feel i might be wasting a second and a half or so on ascendance doing it that way. Also if i was to become a troll where berserking would tie in there as well. Thanks in advance guys.