MoP 5.4 Elemental Guide: Zap that Orc!

Shaman
Post Limit:
Prev 1 3 4 5 29 Next
09/22/2012 11:55 AMPosted by Gistwiki
Have Searing out before combat begins. It'll pick up on what you're attacking almost immediately as it appears to check about once every 3-5 seconds.

Fair to point out that the reason it's so low on the priority system now (which is an in-combat priority system hence why it's low on that list) is because it granted the 10% spell power before 5.0.1, and not having it down was a DPS loss for not only you, but the entire raid.

If that wasn't the case he'd be right up there on the top again, but since the totem AI was greatly increased you should definitely have him down pre-pull.
would you guys recommend playing an ele shaman in mop? i've been contemplating main swapping to either my ele shaman or my shadow priest in mop. Originally my mind was set on playing on my ele shaman in mop but once 5.0.4 hit live my dps decreased by a pretty substantial amount. I would like to play on my ele shaman but if it just isn't viable than i'd rather play a class/spec that is.
According to Bink/Gistwiki Elemental damage took about a 19% damage cut with 5.0.1.

This is because we don't have our 90 talent yet, and we don't have ascendance. Our damage will be competitive, and up to par at 90 though. I'm not 100% sure on the numbers, but we're still a middle of the pack spec. That being said, unlike in early cataclysm, where movement was the bane of our existence, movement is so forgiving to our rotation (with unleashed lightning) that we climb fairly high up on the ladder the more movement the fight has.

The TL;DR is basically that you can play whatever you want. If you can play properly elemental will not hold you back, although you should not expect to be #1 on the charts if you're playing against equally skilled players.
Yeah i think i'm just going to play on my shaman. The whole ascendance thing looks really cool and having the buff from elemental blast approximately 57% of the time should allow for a huge dps boost so it should be fine....i hope.
Elemental blast is meh with ascendance if that's what you're trying to imply.

Crit, and haste don't affect it that much (Haste will give more flame shock ticks, and non-trolls more lava bursts), but as we gear up haste will not do much for it even for non-trolls. Basically you have to pray for a mastery proc from it right before you pop ascendance to get a nice burst out of it.

As for elemental blast...it looks like it's theoretically the best talent to take, but not by much, and PE will be better if you need more reliable burning.
no i wasn't implying that i would use elemental blast with ascendance since i would just be spamming lava burst, right? Also, i could see how PE could be better than elemental blast in some situations, specifically situations in which you need higher burst dps.
09/22/2012 07:33 PMPosted by Liax
As for elemental blast...it looks like it's theoretically the best talent to take, but not by much, and PE will be better if you need more reliable burning.

PE will be better the less skilled you are and will be better for encounters where you need better burst. The better you are at executing the rotation the better EB will be.

09/22/2012 06:50 PMPosted by Liax
According to Bink/Gistwiki Elemental damage took about a 19% damage cut with 5.0.1.

We took around a 10% cut in 5.0.1, but are currently missing 18% of our damage potential without our 87/90 skills. The 8% LB buff will translate into around a 2-2.5% buff.
09/22/2012 07:47 PMPosted by Gistwiki
PE will be better the less skilled you are and will be better for encounters where you need better burst. The better you are at executing the rotation the better EB will be.

I agree.
09/22/2012 07:47 PMPosted by Gistwiki
We took around a 10% cut in 5.0.1, but are currently missing 18% of our damage potential without our 87/90 skills. The 8% LB buff will translate into around a 2-2.5% buff.

closeenough.meme
Looking really good, thankyou from the ele community for putting this together! ^-^
make sure you bastards remember to request a sticky
Which of the level 60 tier of talents do you guys think is the best? I know that ancestral swiftness is better than elemental mastery for fights that don't need high burst dps at certain points but I can't decide between ancestral swiftness and echo of the elements because i'm not sure how likely it is for echo of the elements to proc.
Ancestral swiftness is pretty much the worst talent out there for us. I don't think we've really discovered any fight where it's beneficial. It's mostly a resto talent so they can drop an instant heal if they want to. Could also be used for enhance for back to back lightning bolts though.

Echoes wins out over all three theoretically, but EM will have it's place. It has a 6% proc chance for us, and IIRC Blizzard basically said it had no ICD except a small enough one to make sure back to back procs aren't happening, but not big enough to notice it.

Elemental mastery is an ability we can take if we want more burst, the problem with it is that ascendance is our burst talent (paired with FE). If you're a troll then elemental mastery doesn't give much of a benefit during ascendance besides stacking tons of haste for flame shock ticks.

For non-trolls elemental mastery doesn't line up with ascendance so that kind of sucks, but it is still going to be helpful. Still, as we gear up the value of haste during ascendance goes down. Off a guess I'm going to assume that haste is going to really drop in value sometime in T15 just because we'll have enough of it to the point where everyone is 1 second capped in ascendance. It will still be beneficial outside of ascendance, but looking at stat weights now (they will vary from player to player) but all three secondary stats are starting out to be pretty close in value with the general rule of haste > mastery > crit.

Since haste is going to eventually stop being as effective in ascendance, mastery affects the vast majority of our damage (in and out of ascendance), and crit doesn't affect a little over 50% of our damage (not to mention none of our damage in ascendance) we're eventually going to see mastery pull ahead of haste further into the expansion.

That's my guess at least.

09/22/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Chillbronies
make sure you bastards remember to request a sticky

You can report my guide to be removed from the sticky as well.
Thanks for the info!
09/23/2012 09:36 AMPosted by Liax
I don't think we've really discovered any fight where it's beneficial.

Bink had found that AS was theoretically stronger than either of the others on extremely heavy movement fights, though I'm not sure that information is still relevant.

and crit doesn't affect a little over 50% of our damage (not to mention none of our damage in ascendance)

Lava Burst likely won't even reach 40% of our damage even including overload/echo? Not sure where 50% is coming from here :<

we're eventually going to see mastery pull ahead of haste further into the expansion.

Really depends on how well PE ends up scaling. If PE ends up becoming the talent of choice as we get farther in Crit could easily maintain its spot.
Lava Burst likely won't even reach 40% of our damage even including overload/echo? Not sure where 50% is coming from here :<

I saw about 50% of my damage on beta from lava burst, and the same went with every other ele I was playing with.

09/23/2012 11:43 AMPosted by Gistwiki
Really depends on how well PE ends up scaling. If PE ends up becoming the talent of choice as we get farther in Crit could easily maintain its spot.

That's true. I haven't been thinking of PE FE taking stat scaling from us and such.
09/23/2012 11:51 AMPosted by Liax
I saw about 50% of my damage on beta from lava burst, and the same went with every other ele I was playing with.

Interesting. If you could take some beta logs and put them up in sentry totem I'd like to forward it to Bink so that he can look into simcraft possibly modeling Lava Burst incorrectly as it's only showing up at around 37.5% after including OL/Echo at a T14N ilvl.

Reporting your guide felt better than it should have.
I find 37.5% hard to believe unless they really shifted the damage around. My point would be that as of right now our lava burst damage makes up like 35% of our damage. We're going to have an ability that, when used properly, let's us just sit and take a poop on the boss spamming lava burst. You get to do that 2-3 times and the damage % is going to just skyrocket. That, and with the lava surge change we're going to have less lava surge procs being wasted.

Unfortunately I've deleted my beta already...was taking up too much space so I can't go sit on a dummy anymore and log it. I'll see if I can find some logs though.

It might not end up being the 54ish% I was seeing, but I'll be willing to bet you'll see north of 40%.

09/23/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Chillbronies

Reporting your guide felt better than it should have.

YOU LOVED MY GUIDE. I SAW IT. YOU WERE LIKE OH DAMN THAT'S NICE. AND I WAS LIKE I WORK OUT.
I... I was drunk!