What makes Azeroth so special?

Story Forum
I did a search about this (which i wish to god had an advanced feature so you could specify what board to search on) and came up with only deleted threads, so i figured i would pose the question.

This started mulling through my head as we were doing some old content, and cleared Sunwell. Listening to Valen's speech, he notes that only on one world, has the Legion been stopped. Azeroth.

Why? We know from the current strife that the Orcs are intelegent and powerful, and from the events of Warcraft 1 and 2 that they were almost (if not for infighting) a match for the Eastren Kingdoms, and probably the rest of the world.

Valen makes it quite clear that, everywhere the Legion goes, worlds fall. Either to invasion or corruption, but for some reason Azeroth has thrown them back three times. Why? It's certinaly not because of the Orcs, we've already seen them fall to the Legion once. It's not the Draenei, they weren't here for the first 2 invasions.

Then you have the blatant, meta statement at lasy years Blizcon that there was something unique about Azeroth that allowed it to not only stand up to the Legion, but surprise the living hell out of Alagon.

What does Azeroth have that nowhere else (that we know of, of course) has?

Old Gods. We know for a fact that the Old Gods have been heavily involved in the development of the Azeroth races, through the Curse of Flesh. We're told everything has been affected by it, regardless of whether they were originally Titan constructs or not.

Is it possible that growing up on the back of an unimaginably powerful, unimaginably evil puss bucket has acted as an vacene of sorts? People in Azeroth don't tend to convert wholescale to evil and corruption, its more peacemeal than we've seen on other worlds (which tends to be the opposite, with small groups NOT falling to corruption).

Something to think about, i suppose. Just wanted to commit the idea to writing, and rather poorly at that, i fear.
I like it.
I'm fairly sure mop will be talking a lot about the old gods. The mantid are the first civilization that I can think of that were directly affected by them that still posses the ability to be civil with uncorrupted. They may know an unexplained history of them or possibly an origin story.

Regarding what makes Azeroth special, I always think of the characters we play as being unwritten in the sands of time. I think I recall nozu saying something about him being unable to predict the future when we were involved. We have the ability to alter the future. If we fight the legion we are not defeated until the last soldier falls, it's a classic underdog story.

The old gods could defiantly be what allowed us to survive but maybe the titans added something else to their creations. In fairly certain the legion was formed before the titans were able to plant the seed on Azeroth. Maybe the titans saw the old gods as a method of evolution for their creations. Although the titans seem rather... Egocentric when it comes to their creations. I know my theory has holes but this is the best I can think of as a solution.

I think it would be kinda cool if the titans knew about the potential effects of the old gods on their creations. Since they didn't really lock all the doors when it came to silencing them. The answer we have right now for the titans not destroying the old gods is that Azeroth would be destroyed, but who cares? The titans interacted with thousands of planets. Why wouldn't they destroy one to end such a corrupt species?
I think it is a combination of the the Old Gods and the titans compensating for their presence.
In the over all sense, it's a way for the writers to hand-wave our non-stop victory machine that started at the end of WCIII: Reign of Chaos.

In a logical sense though, it's because of Azeroth's diversity. Blizzard has not stopped adding new races in every game/expansion since WCII came out.

Many individuals of different cultures working together is greater and more effective than one race/culture fighting the Legion.

Take, for example, corruption. Sargeras and Kil'Jaedan are known to seek victory by corrupting influential people of a race and using that to their advantage. They did it to ignite the War of the Ancients, and to form the first Horde, and to get that Horde onto Azeroth.

But they can't do that anymore because there are so many different races and cultures making decisions on Azeroth that even if one fell to corruption, the others could step in and end it.

Where there used to be only Dwarves, Humans, Goblins, High Elves and Trolls making major decisions, now you have Humans, Trolls, High Elves, Night Elves(Recently re-entered the world), Orcs, Tauren(recently civilized), Gnomes(recently re-entered the world and militarized), Pandaren, Worgen, Draenei, etc.

Not to mention, after so many invasions, we know how the Legion operates. The races can defend against their common tactics.
The thing that make Azeroth special is the Old Gods infestation. In order to have an old god infestation you would have to have a high arcane energy world. Azeroth is such a world, in fact Azeroth deitizen alone are the only people that can stand up to the legion toe to toe.
All of the main characters are here. Duh.
09/22/2012 09:08 PMPosted by Crappytank
The thing that make Azeroth special is the Old Gods infestation. In order to have an old god infestation you would have to have a high arcane energy world. Azeroth is such a world, in fact Azeroth deitizen alone are the only people that can stand up to the legion toe to toe.

What on earth are you talking about?

The Old Gods are parasite aliens. They're almost like Lavos from Chrono Trigger. They don't care about arcane.
Especially since it was shown in Northrend that their blood (in this case Saronite) doesn't even react to Arcane.

You also have the fact that the Arcane magic of Azeroth comes from the Well of Eternity (and the post-sundering rain) which was put there by the Titans just before they left, meaning the source of Azeroth's arcane power is POST Old God infestation.
I'm fairly sure mop will be talking a lot about the old gods. The mantid are the first civilization that I can think of that were directly affected by them that still posses the ability to be civil with uncorrupted. They may know an unexplained history of them or possibly an origin story.

Regarding what makes Azeroth special, I always think of the characters we play as being unwritten in the sands of time. I think I recall nozu saying something about him being unable to predict the future when we were involved. We have the ability to alter the future. If we fight the legion we are not defeated until the last soldier falls, it's a classic underdog story.

The old gods could defiantly be what allowed us to survive but maybe the titans added something else to their creations. In fairly certain the legion was formed before the titans were able to plant the seed on Azeroth. Maybe the titans saw the old gods as a method of evolution for their creations. Although the titans seem rather... Egocentric when it comes to their creations. I know my theory has holes but this is the best I can think of as a solution.

I think it would be kinda cool if the titans knew about the potential effects of the old gods on their creations. Since they didn't really lock all the doors when it came to silencing them. The answer we have right now for the titans not destroying the old gods is that Azeroth would be destroyed, but who cares? The titans interacted with thousands of planets. Why wouldn't they destroy one to end such a corrupt species?

i always though it was an old god that saw the potential for evolution/potential in the titans constructions. an old god that thought differently to its fellows and reallized that absolute chaos was actually rather orderly in that you knew what to expect from it and it didn't really change. if you think about it both the Old gods and the titans were creators while one made perfect creations of order the other made perfect creations of chaos what if one old god saw the perfect order of the titans and said "theres something good about how this was created not perfect but..." and then proceeded to create the curse of the flesh.

When the old gods came across the titans creations of perfect order most of the old gods viewed it as a abomination that needed to be cleansed. To one old god how ever the sight of the titans perfect constructs was an opportunity to test something he had began to suspect that true chaos could only be abtained through a melding of order and chaos. This old god convinced or tricked the others in to trying a new way of causing chaos this being the curse of the flesh. while the other old gods thought this was a plan to have the titans creations destroy them selves in a fittingly chaotic way. the real plan was to create a perfect mixture of chaos and order that would surpase anything either could have ever created on its own.