Returning player (Maybe) Questions

New Player Help and Guides
Post Limit:
1.) What are scenario's like? (I played LOTRO and they seem similar to skirmishes in LOTRO... Also, do scenarios have a lockout timer?)

2.) Did they change fishing/archeology? In Cataclysm, fishing/archeology really didn't have any cool stuff at 85... Fishing didn't have anything to it besides getting fish to cook. Did they add anything to either of these professions for level 90? Like rare fishing finds that sell for gold or archeology items at 90?

3.) I'm looking for a new realm to start at level 1 on. I'm east coast, so I will be rolling on an east coast DATACENTER server. (Time zone doesnt matter, just dataenter)

Here are my options for server:

http://www.wowwiki.com/US_realm_list_by_datacenter

Nightfall/Retaliation/Stormstrike battlegroup servers are my choices.

I'm looking for a highly populated server. I'm rolling alliance.

4.) What do you get by doing the pet battle system? Is it purely for fun or are there rewads like XP? Gold? Items?

5.) Are there any changes 1-85 for the following things: Crafting? Leveling speed?

6.) Do cross-realm zones effect all servers? Does this make PvP servers more active or is it gonna make it griefers paradise in the low level zones? Not sure whether to roll PvP or PvE.

7.) PvP seems to have changed. There is now PvP power and PvP resilience... Does this make it so PvE gear does nothing in PvP? What were the reasons for this change?

8.) Is raiding still the same setup? 10/25M? Heroic and Normal?

9.) How many heroic 5-man dungeons will be at launch?
09/24/2012 03:48 PMPosted by Pwnism
1.) What are scenario's like? (I played LOTRO and they seem similar to skirmishes in LOTRO... Also, do scenarios have a lockout timer?)

Scenarios are basically phased 3-player quests with a queue system. I don't think there's a lockout timer, but they are repeatable.

2.) Did they change fishing/archeology? In Cataclysm, fishing/archeology really didn't have any cool stuff at 85... Fishing didn't have anything to it besides getting fish to cook. Did they add anything to either of these professions for level 90? Like rare fishing finds that sell for gold or archeology items at 90?

Nope, they are still the same. The only difference with archaeology is that you can farm the same area for fragments 10 times before you have to move on to another site, it used to be only 3 times.

3.) I'm looking for a new realm to start at level 1 on. I'm east coast, so I will be rolling on an east coast DATACENTER server. (Time zone doesnt matter, just dataenter)

We can't help you with server recommendations (too many servers, not enough regulars)
but if you go to the URL below, you'll find what you're looking for (it's more up to date than wowwiki.:

http://www.wowpedia.org/US_realm_list_by_datacenter

As for the other server criteria check the "How to choose a server guide" near the top of this forum, it has links to various websites that keep track of the type of information you're after.

4.) What do you get by doing the pet battle system? Is it purely for fun or are there rewads like XP? Gold? Items?

Just fun, achievements, some of the achievements may have a title attached to them.

6.) Do cross-realm zones effect all servers? Does this make PvP servers more active or is it gonna make it griefers paradise in the low level zones? Not sure whether to roll PvP or PvE.

It's slowly being implemented on all servers, I think about half of the servers have the CRZ system so far. There's many bugs with the CRZ system, and many of the things people are complaining about are caused by those same bugs.

When it's working correctly, only PvP servers will be crossed with other PvP servers, PvE servers with PvE servers, RP servers with RP servers. Austrailian servers are on their own (because of the huge timezone jump), and they're trying to segregate the North American servers by primary language as well.

Basically all it does is take the same low-pop zone on multiple servers and cram them into one instance of that zone. It combines servers & divides them up based on how many people that zone was designed for. So on a high pop realm, you may actually see less people in a zone than normal because there were too many people in there and now they've been split into a couple of different zone instances. On low pop servers, you'll see more people, and they'll be from various realms. So you'll have the number of people that zone was designed for competing for nodes and quest creatures.

It's not going to affect griefers & campers much, only that the griefers & campers may have more target choices AND may be from a different realm than you.
Nope, they are still the same. The only difference with archaeology is that you can farm the same area for fragments 10 times before you have to move on to another site, it used to be only 3 times.

6 times, not 10.
Did they change profession buffs at all?

Like can I be a Miner/JC without being gimped because I'm not JC/BS? Or still the same?
09/24/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Dragonjts
6 times, not 10.

You sure? Because I definitely farmed 10 times at the same digsite the other day before getting the "you can't dig here" error message.
8.) Is raiding still the same setup? 10/25M? Heroic and Normal?

LFR (looking for raid) is in there too. It's a simpler version than Normal (because it's a PuG queue system like LFD), and the loot is tuned down as well.
Do you get a lockout timer for normal raids if you use LFR? OR are they separate lockouts?

EDIT: Also, did they reduce the amount of XP you need 80-85 since MoP is out? They usually do that when a new expansuion comes out.
09/24/2012 04:23 PMPosted by Pwnism
Do you get a lockout timer for normal raids if you use LFR? OR are they separate lockouts?

Not sure, as I don't raid much (I'm a soloist achievement hunter, rep grinder type). The other regulars will know though, their posting frequency usually picks up around this time of day.
09/24/2012 04:23 PMPosted by Pwnism
EDIT: Also, did they reduce the amount of XP you need 80-85 since MoP is out? They usually do that when a new expansuion comes out.

This one I do know, yes the amount of xp needed for 80-85 has been reduced somewhat.
Question about scroll of ressurection.

On this 85 hunter, is there a way using SoR to get a free transfer to someone elses server?

Like, say I want to go to Aerie Peak, can I find someone there to send a SoR invite and I get a transfer to that realm? Or do I need to use a new character to use that transfer?
09/24/2012 04:25 PMPosted by Avanna

Not sure, as I don't raid much (I'm a soloist achievement hunter, rep grinder type). The other regulars will know though, their posting frequency usually picks up around this time of day.

LFR is its own lockout. You can get loot and badges from LFR once a week, but you can run it as many times per week as you like for fun. If you find LFR fun. LFR is 25m only and an easier difficulty level than normal modes.

10m and 25m share a lockout. They are theoretically equal in difficulty, although some fights will be harder on 10 and some will be harder on 25.

Both fishing and archaeology have reputations associated with them in 85-90 content, I believe.

El's Anglin' has some information on the two fishing reputations in Mists:
Anglers: http://www.elsanglin.com/anglers_fishing_quests.html
Nat Pagle: http://www.elsanglin.com/nat_pagle.html
Question about scroll of ressurection.

On this 85 hunter, is there a way using SoR to get a free transfer to someone elses server?

Like, say I want to go to Aerie Peak, can I find someone there to send a SoR invite and I get a transfer to that realm? Or do I need to use a new character to use that transfer?

You're misunderstanding how SoR works.
As the Sender of an SoR, you get a free mount.
The person who accepts the SoR can level any toon they have to 80. They can also transfer the leveled toom to the server of the character who sent them the SoR if they want to.
I know, if I get someone else to invite me, can I only transfer the new character or can I transfer an existing character?
09/24/2012 05:16 PMPosted by Pwnism
I know, if I get someone else to invite me, can I only transfer the new character or can I transfer an existing character?

SoR's can only be sent to accounts that have been inactive since march 4th or earlier and have had no subscription time on them since. It's the person that receives the SoR who gets the transfer & free 80. It's the sender that gets the mount.

If you qualify to receive the SoR, then you can apply the insta-80/transfer to a new character or a current character.

The insta-80 and the transfer must be used on the same character though. You can't transfer your main and then insta-80 a different character. You can transfer your level 80+ main, but then you can't use the insta-80 perk.
09/24/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Avanna
You sure? Because I definitely farmed 10 times at the same digsite the other day before getting the "you can't dig here" error message.

I've never had a site with more than 6.

(but archaeology hates me, so even if there were a possible 10 per site, it would only give me the minimum anyway) ~_~