Blizzards Blind eye to Linux Users.

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
I would imagine it's because a Linux client is not worth it. If you put together some back of the envelope numbers with estimated costs and estimated revenue increases we can give you feedback...
Because there are so many different builds of Linux that it is impractical for Blizzard to try to support and test them all to make sure they are bug free. With WoW and Mac clients there are 2 or 3 different actual OSes of each that actually need to be tested (ie XP, Win 7, Vista) but as I said with Linux there are tons from different companies.

Combined with the existence of Wine and the fact that Blizzard views Linux users as a bit more tech savy then normal users and the fact that according to their surveys most linux users are dual booters with a windows/linux computer, so there is no reason to develop a Linux client.

In other words even if Linux users only mke up 10% of the community less then 1% only use Linux and no other OS
Agree OP. It's too bad that the Devs don't have time to work on native Linux support.

That said, if I were the Lead Dev and I had to prioritize my workers I probably would have native Linux support pretty low on my task list.

If you are a PC gamer you pretty much have to dual boot. Seems this battle was lost several years ago.
Because there are so many different builds of Linux that it is impractical for Blizzard to try to support and test them all to make sure they are bug free. With WoW and Mac clients there are 2 or 3 different actual OSes of each that actually need to be tested (ie XP, Win 7, Vista) but as I said with Linux there are tons from different companies.

Combined with the existence of Wine and the fact that Blizzard views Linux users as a bit more tech savy then normal users and the fact that according to their surveys most linux users are dual booters with a windows/linux computer, so there is no reason to develop a Linux client.

In other words even if Linux users only mke up 10% of the community less then 1% only use Linux and no other OS

actually they would only need one. Yes there is different versions of linux. But the way the programs run and interact with the os are the same. RPM DEB TAR.GZ are only wrappers. The way the actual application runs the same on say Ubuntu as it does SUSE. Even if there was small quirks like a binary being in a different folder its not to hard to recharge the ln path to reflect the right directory or to setup a package system that actually scans and links the proper files.

This is what it comes down to... NO matter what company what game. Microsoft pays out big $$ to keep developers in windows. To develop for propitiatory Direct X. Nothing More Nothing less.
This is what it comes down to... NO matter what company what game. Microsoft pays out big $$ to keep developers in windows. To develop for propitiatory Direct X. Nothing More Nothing less.

Do we know this for a fact, or is it an assumption? Game devs develop for Windows first because that's where the userbase is. It's already cost-prohibitive for companies to make Mac builds since most Mac players have grown used to dual-booting, and the Unix crowd has an even smaller playerbase.

It would be nice of Blizzard to offer a Linux client, but how many more users would they really gain from such an action?
"I understand that the linux player base is probably less than 10%"

I wouldn't have guessed a whole 1% myself
why do you even have Linux as a gamer it doesn't seem to make any sense to me.
We've seen a good example of this experiment with CCP and EVE Online. A few years back, they released versions of their client for Linux and for Mac. A year later, they cancelled the Linux version and kept developing the Mac version.

Why? Because the Mac client brought in new customers, while the Linux version simply resulted in existing Windows customers switching clients; it didn't bring in any new business.
Linux users are statistically, and thus monetarily, irrelevant.
09/24/2012 08:44 AMPosted by Fenyo
I use linux and I just dual boot to play WoW. I really don't see what the issue is. You're taking precious development time for something that does not need to be made instead of making better and more content.

This. I dual boot as well, and I think anyone that runs 100% Linux is just shooting themself in the foot.
Wow is the best supported program in Wine next to Microsoft Office.

If you remember to switch the client to Open GL it s faster than the same hardware running windows.

Its such a simple fix, it is in fact what most people do.
09/24/2012 08:20 AMPosted by Mythox
Probably wouldn't be cost effective for them to develop a Linux client for a small percentage of the gaming market. Would be nice though.
I too wouldn't mind seeing Linux support for WoW, would be pretty cool.

Bleeding-edge software development is starting to trend towards platform-agnostic software architectures, both for web and native apps. Basically, applications that can run on anything and follow you anywhere.

There are some projects like NaCl and Chrome's packaged app model that are experimenting with these ideas on the web front, but the game industry is literally in its own world, so any advancements made in this area may take some time to propagate through.
Linux is hard to develope for because it doesn't have a standard. As an open source operating system which version of Linux would you pick? Ubuntu? Red Hat? Debian? I mean there isn't a standard, people can make whatever version of Linux they want and release it. That's why game companies don't really support Linux. It is ever changing.
09/25/2012 11:14 AMPosted by Makosan
why do you even have Linux as a gamer it doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Because Linux is a better OS. I'd rather use a good OS than a !@#$ty one, even if that means I have to jump through a couple small hoops. That being said, as long as wine is up to date, I don't have any issues, so I don't really see the problem.
None of the Blizzard games natively support SLI. What makes you think they care about an OS that nobody uses?
09/25/2012 11:23 AMPosted by Kouze
Linux is hard to develope for because it doesn't have a standard. As an open source operating system which version of Linux would you pick? Ubuntu? Red Hat? Debian? I mean there isn't a standard, people can make whatever version of Linux they want and release it. That's why game companies don't really support Linux. It is ever changing.

If everyone in the world magically switched to Linux one day and stopped using Windows/OSX, it would be plausible for Blizz to provide client support for a couple of the major distro's: Ubuntu/Fedora/whatever.

The biggest limiting factor seems to be that the market share just isn't there compared to how much money & time they will have to spend to support a Linux platform.