Slow fresh MoP install using game dvds

Mac Technical Support
Post Limit:
New laptop, MoP discs, disc one at 0.9% not asking for second disc yet. Need to go out for a few hours. Really wanted to play tonight... pffft

Edit: just asked for disc 2 at 1.2%. Hope things go well while I'm out!

Edit 2: Got back after about two hours and all was good. Playing now.

Overall, a bit slow and annoying but not the worst that could happen. /sighofrelief
I just deleted everything was thinking of doing a fresh clean install still on disk 1 at 9.5% been on it for 2 hours. If i remember correctly the install from the website was alot faster than this..

As soon as i posted this it jumped to 13.7%

Edit : 1 hour later entered disk 2 and now at 32.9% and still slow as ever
im at 0.7 and its still taking forever. how long does this process take?
The discs are a lie. Ever since Wrath, the discs don't really install anything. The only benefit buying the dvds gives you is a physical copy of the activation code on the card shipped with it.

When you run the dvds, it'll run the 3mb installer, then proceed to download the rest of the game in the same manner as the online installer. I hated that they did that too, but in reality, DVD's carry a max of about 4GB. WoW is about four times that. So blizzard couldn't realistically ship the game physically anymore unless they went with Blu-Ray, and that hasn't had anywhere near the adoption rate DVD drives had.
What I wish the installer would do is download the full install package and let you keep it so that you didn't have to re-download it again if you had to uninstall/reinstall for any reason. That would enable me to have at least a base "fresh" installer that would only need to download the latest patches that came after its version.

Edit: Also, MoP came on two DVDs, each clocking at >8 GB. That could hold an entire installation in compressed form with minimal downloading necessary.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
I still have my original WoW 1.0 discs. On 7 CDs.

:D
I just did a complete WoW install from my two MoP DVD images I have saved to my DVD Backups drive and the exact total download was 3827.6 MB, or just under 4 GB and it was fully up to date. Total download calculated via subtracting the amount in my router's traffic meter just before downloading from the result after downloading.

This would be a great bandwidth saver for those on relatively strict monthly caps.
The discs are a lie. Ever since Wrath, the discs don't really install anything. The only benefit buying the dvds gives you is a physical copy of the activation code on the card shipped with it.

I don't agree.

I did testing in December 2012 that showed that with the online installer it downloaded 12 GB

With the DVD install it did copy data from the DVDs and resulted in around a 2GB download

But that was back in December 2012 we've had 5.2 & 5.3 since then.

08/02/2013 02:16 AMPosted by Tiapriestess
I just did a complete WoW install from my two MoP DVD images I have saved to my DVD Backups drive and the exact total download was 3827.6 MB, or just under 4 GB and it was fully up to date.

Sounds about right.

Have you repeated the test with the online installer ?

When I did mine it only installed 5.0.4 then had to download and update things from there.

But with the DVD installer it installed right up to the latest version then just back filled the MPQ files with the download.

I may have to repeat my installer comparison tests but it might need to wait a couple of days.
08/04/2013 02:28 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
Have you repeated the test with the online installer ?

Given that my grandpa watches tons of youtube/videos now that grandma has passed away and eats up a huge chunk of our data cap each month, I wasn't too keen on using the online installer, which at this point downloads 21 GB (roughly everything). I just used the DVDs because I knew they wouldn't cost me much of my bandwidth and wanted to prove that they were in fact a more ISP friendly method of installation.

However, one caveat is that the installation is slow. It took over an hour and a half to get through the DVD install phase before the download phase started, and this is installing from disc images on a Vertex 4 SSD to a Vertex 4 SSD (I have two of them).

Also, I had to uninstall the BDA in order to perform this test as BDA will not let you install a second WoW client if one is already present (despite having a feature that allows use of multiple clients). The DVD installer will trigger BDA to launch and you won't be able to install WoW. I'm going to file that one as a bug in the BDA bug report forum.
Given that my grandpa watches tons of youtube/videos now that grandma has passed away and eats up a huge chunk of our data cap each month, I wasn't too keen on using the online installer, which at this point downloads 21 GB (roughly everything). I just used the DVDs because I knew they wouldn't cost me much of my bandwidth and wanted to prove that they were in fact a more ISP friendly method of installation.

Never fear !

My ISP recently increased by cap limit to 90 GB :) :) :)

And TBH I probably wouldn't be doing a full download. Just a install until the launcher comes up installing files.

However, one caveat is that the installation is slow. It took over an hour and a half to get through the DVD install phase before the download phase started, and this is installing from disc images on a Vertex 4 SSD to a Vertex 4 SSD (I have two of them).

Yeah it's a little slow :|
Oh my ISP's cap is 300 GB/month. Problem is, my grandpa has actually brought me close to that three times now. And that's without Netflix streaming (not that I'd ever stream a movie...I like being able to play and pause physical media/ripped DVDs at my leisure).
Same problem here. Fresh install with mop DVDs. Sits at .1% for 20 mins. Then goes to .2%. This goes on for two hours then disc two needs to be inserted at 1.2%. Please fix

Update - after several hours the down load status changes and starts to digitally download the remainder of the game. /sigh of relief
Same problem here. Fresh install with mop DVDs. Sits at .1% for 20 mins. Then goes to .2%. This goes on for two hours then disc two needs to be inserted at 1.2%. Please fix

Update - after several hours the down load status changes and starts to digitally download the remainder of the game. /sigh of relief

This is normal. It can help to make a disc image of Disc 2 and mount it while Disc 1 is in the drive before you run the DVD based installer. With both discs mounted on the desktop the installer will never ask you to insert a disc and you can then just go do something for the next few hours while it just automagically installs. You'll save approximately 18-19 GB of download toward your bandwidth cap for the month this way.
This has not gotten better. New machine. New install. Bought Battle Chest that came with 2 installation disks. Really??!?!?! The only thing that came from the DVD is it brought up the Battle.net installer. I started this at 11pm EST. The installer informed me that it had over 32GB to install. 8:56am the NEXT morning and it still have 27.5GB to install. Not only will it take all of hunting season to download and install, I will never get to play it