I'm doing terrible with this class

Monk
Post Limit:
Honestly, I am pissed off beyond what I can even measure. I love the expansion, I love the stuff added. First thing I did was roll a monk and was fine until I got out, then my DPS dropped immensely and I had to get 2 stacks of Mutton Chops just to keep myself together.

I'm level 25 now, and it started picking up at 16, then at around 21-22 the quests just STOPPED giving me any good items to use. A ton of quests give little to no gear helpful to me, two stats which appear to be Agility and Stamina.

My boots are Dark Leather Boots, which I bought on the AH when I was 20 and still have them. Hell, I saw level 9 pants with more stats than the ones I have. How my rogue is more geared at 25 is beyond me.

Gazlowe's Gloves which was given to me yesterday at a relatively low level. Maybe I'm overreacting, I think I am, but my DPS with this character is outright embarrassing. My rotation goes along like this:

2 Jab, 4 chi
2 Tiger Palm, 2 chi
Blackout Kick, 2 chi

From time to time, Fists of Fury too. That rotation went very well in the starting area, then I was thrown out into Azeroth and have been doing utterly horrible. I'm currently questing in Arathi Highlands and have died multiple times, I can't take two enemies, it takes like ten to fifteen seconds to kill one. I need some advice because I'm a little upset here.
Respec Brewmaster. Maybe it was just me, but Windwalker soloing was just a horrendous exercise in frustration until 56 when you get Rising Sun Kick.
I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it man. It's most likely the boas that are making leveling a breeze for me at the moment. I blow through mobs very fast and can keep up my 30% armor reduction buff running while renewing it only once every 15-20 seconds and throwing 2 jabs and 2 boks down pretty much everything. Again I'm sorry you're not enjoying your monk. :(
09/26/2012 03:06 PMPosted by Guotie
Respec Brewmaster. Maybe it was just me, but Windwalker soloing was just a horrendous exercise in frustration until 56 when you get Rising Sun Kick.
Agreed. I've been more effective leveling Mistweaver. I assume after WWs get RSK this dynamic will flip.
That's what annoys me, it's like everyone saw it coming. Everyone has heirlooms except for me. It's like it might as well be a mandatory addition to the game because my gear sucks !@#.
09/26/2012 03:12 PMPosted by Chequen
That's what annoys me, it's like everyone saw it coming. Everyone has heirlooms except for me. It's like it might as well be a mandatory addition to the game because my gear sucks !@#.

Everyone saw what coming, heirlooms making questing easier? That's no surprise, that's what they were made for.
No, the fact that there are more people running around with heirlooms than I've ever seen before seemed like everyone saw Monks being extremely hard to level without them.
09/26/2012 03:16 PMPosted by Chequen
No, the fact that there are more people running around with heirlooms than I've ever seen before seemed like everyone saw Monks being extremely hard to level without them.

No, it's just that people have had months to prepare for this.

When monks were announced, I couldn't play one and start leveling. But I could take steps to make the leveling easier - in this case, decking myself out in heirlooms.
hard to level without them? nah. try using brewmaster, or, if you got the INT gear, go mistweaver and be almost invincible.
I can understand your irritation with the lack of gear..

I've got BOA armor, but I just could not be bothered to grind out the JPs for weapons prior to Mists launch. Weapons have been the irritation for me. Agi/Sta staffs seem to be few and far between. Or, when it comes to one handed weapons I never seem to get two that I could use at the same time.

The AH has been less than helpful as well. Either I can't find something with the correct stats, or some dolt wants 500g for a low level green. Even if I was swimming in gold, I wouldn't spend that on a weapon I'll out level in an hour or two.

So I'm still using the lvl 20 quest reward staff and it is definitely starting to show it's "age."

All the same, I'm having a blast with the Monk. Even with a sub-par weapon, I'm still kicking butt. Brewmasters rock.
What are you talking about OP?

I've had 0 trouble questing and I have no BOA gear due to it all being on my main on another server. I'm running Windwalker and most of the time I forget I even have "Expel Harm" because I get so much healing from the orbs that drop from the "Afterlife" passive.

You are using the right rotation, so my guess would be that you're pulling too many mobs/they are too high level for you/you lack dungeon gear. I have almost a full set of intel gear for healing and agil gear for dps leveling, its really not hard.
Get dungeon gear... if you got the stuff from WC you would still be set into your 30's. If you just like questing instead of dungeon running, well you are just asking to do it the more painful way.
What are you talking about OP?

I've had 0 trouble questing and I have no BOA gear due to it all being on my main on another server. I'm running Windwalker and most of the time I forget I even have "Expel Harm" because I get so much healing from the orbs that drop from the "Afterlife" passive.

You are using the right rotation, so my guess would be that you're pulling too many mobs/they are too high level for you/you lack dungeon gear. I have almost a full set of intel gear for healing and agil gear for dps leveling, its really not hard.

You're right, it isn't. And that's why I'm clueless as to why I'm doing horrible. I began to level in the Barrens, which quickly began to go downhill when I couldn't kill the human mobs behind Ratchet and pirates, both at my level at the time (12-15). I eventually had a guildie make me a full set of Leatherworking gear which worked until I reached 25, when I went to Arathi and am doing some seriously bad DPS.

I've run randoms for a good while now but a majority of drops are of no use to me. Satchel of Helpful Goods hasn't been helpful either, because that hasn't given me anything good. I'm going to keep running dungeons until I get something good though, it's just that my luck is down there.
I hit level 15 with quests and then started random's, haven't / won't do another quest again outside of dungeons until waaaaaay later.
Monks are in their nature fairly complex and at lower levels you lack some of the skills that give you more damage, better efficiency and a smoother feel. After you get 40+ it will get better as you have a larger toolbox to pull from.

That is my experience from leveling on beta (RaF on launch obviously)
1. Quest in Brewmaster - Your AoE and single target burst is much higher than WW is at low levels thus you clear quest mobs and take less damage at the same time.

2. Do instance quests whenever you get them to split up your questing runs so you don't get burnt out from doing the same thing over and over.

3. With recent patches you no-longer need to visit trainers so take the gained time to make sure you know what all of your spells are doing and when/how to use them.

4. Please, do number 1.
Tough it out until you get rising sun kick. At high levels use that on cooldown and it will be your top dps ability. Also make sure you do the monk quests for xp bonus when you think you need it.
As for gear, if you have money buy from the AH or just.. bad luck?
Ok dumbass! LMAO JOKING. You have to keep up your buff from quaking palm read closely. It gives you a buff that ignores 10percent Armor pen stack it too 3 stacks. Keep in mind that you use energy or whatever. Their calling it button mashing is a no no. Once you have your buff up then you spend all your chi is it called on the crane kick or whatever . It's called so it becomes Keep up your buff from quaking palm then jab to build combo points or chi. N quaking palm as needed . To keep up your buff. Remember don't button mash you have to find a flow. I from what I noticed count wait a second before you hit each ability so you can give yourself a time to build up energy when you need it when it's time to get some more combo points. Energy should be close to full as you use your blackout kick
It's very easy to solo quest as a monk even without BoAs. Just dont try to do Battlegrounds to level. It may just be me, but my dps monk gets killed over and over in pvp.