Pet Quality Questions

Pet Battles
Post Limit:
So I'm more than a little confused by a few elements of pet battles.

Rare / Uncommon / Common / Poor

It says that these different kinds of pet levels "Determine the amount of stats gained each level. Pets can have random qualities."

• What are these random qualities?
  • All things being equal, is there any point to keeping Common or Poor pets around?
  • "Stats gained each level" - Does that mean that there's no difference between a Rare and a Poor pet until they actually gain a level?
  • Regarding pets I didn't capture... i.e., the old companion pets... Stinker... Wolpertinger... Bombay Cat... What's the deal, there? It doesn't say whether they're Rare or Poor or anything. I saw a Blue post saying that some would be considered "Rare," but why doesn't it tell me in game?
  • Is there any way to tell during a battle what level item quality a pet is?

And finally, on a semi-related note, is there any XP gain difference between capping versus killing?

Thanks!
These are fantastic and well thought-out questions, thanks for posting! Sorry I can't help with the answers.
09/27/2012 09:34 AMPosted by Chaemor
What are these random qualities?

All pets have three basic stats: Health, Speed, Damage. And all wild pets (those caught during battle) have four qualities: Poor, Common, Uncommon, Rare. The stats for each pet is dependent upon the type of pet (Adder, Water Snake, Prairie Dog, etc), the level of the pet, and the quality of the pet. Every type of pet has one quality that is significantly higher than other stats, sometimes even taking a hit on another stat (like, high damage but lower health).

All things being equal, is there any point to keeping Common or Poor pets around?

For battle purposes, no. However, if you don't have an uncommon or rare of that type, keeping a common or poor will help you with achievements for unique pets and will let you show off that pet around Ironforge.

"Stats gained each level" - Does that mean that there's no difference between a Rare and a Poor pet until they actually gain a level?

Yes, there is a difference. Just look at the pet card (what you see when you mouseover the pet) and you'll see the stats. A side-by-side comparison of rare versus poor shows a pretty dramatic change in status, even at level 1. As an example, a level 1 poor pet might have damage 8, speed 9, while a rare level 1 pet might have damage 12, speed 12.

Regarding pets I didn't capture... i.e., the old companion pets... Stinker... Wolpertinger... Bombay Cat... What's the deal, there? It doesn't say whether they're Rare or Poor or anything. I saw a Blue post saying that some would be considered "Rare," but why doesn't it tell me in game?

They do have a quality, but the default UI doesn't show it. There is a list on this forum that shows the rares, but I don't think it is complete. You can get Addons (I suggest PetJournal Enhanced) and it will show you in the journal the quality of the vanity pets.

Is there any way to tell during a battle what level item quality a pet is?

You can tell by looking at the health, speed, and damage of the pet when you mouseover their picture in the battle and compare that to what you've seen of other pets at the same level. Or, you can get an Addon that will tell you the quality of the pet (I like Pet Battle Quality Glow).

And finally, on a semi-related note, is there any XP gain difference between capping versus killing?

Yes. You only gain 3/4 experience when you trap a pet compared to the experience you gain in killing the pet outright.
What are these random qualities? The random qualities are the amount of HP, Power, and Speed. They are not truly random (there are 19 different variations), and some pets only have 1 variation (so they will always have the same stats). However, other pets have up to 5 or more of the variations. It really depends - Turtles will not have any of the variations that lean towards High Speed, whilst insects usually do not have the variations that lean towards High Power. More information (highly technical) can be found here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6712952299

All things being equal, is there any point to keeping Common or Poor pets around? Not really. I only keep a common pet around if I don't have any other versions of that pet yet.

"Stats gained each level" - Does that mean that there's no difference between a Rare and a Poor pet until they actually gain a level? No, there is a difference starting at level 1. Poor pets have "x" stats. Commons have 1.1x, Uncommons have 1.2x stats, and Rares have 1.3x stats. This means that Rares will always be 30% better than Poors. However, as you level, the actual numerical difference will be greater (because you're dealing with bigger numbers).

Regarding pets I didn't capture... i.e., the old companion pets... Stinker... Wolpertinger... Bombay Cat... What's the deal, there? It doesn't say whether they're Rare or Poor or anything. I saw a Blue post saying that some would be considered "Rare," but why doesn't it tell me in game? Honestly, I haven't the faintest idea why Blizzard decided to hide that information from the player. There is a line in their code that specifically hides the quality information for non-wild pets. There is an addon that can prevent Blizzard from hiding the quality information (PetJournal Enhanced), and I highly recommend it for its new sorting functionality too.

Is there any way to tell during a battle what level item quality a pet is? Yes, you can use a macro or an addon (BattlePetQualityGlow). Both are listed in this guide:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=2#21

And finally, on a semi-related note, is there any XP gain difference between capping versus killing? Good question. It appears at first glance that there is no difference between the two, but I haven't looked into it extensively.
It appears at first glance that there is no difference between the two, but I haven't looked into it extensively.[/b]

There is. Do this test...take a level 1 pet out and kill a level 1 pet solo. You'll get 50xp, which is enough to level. Now, take another level 1 pet out and trap a level 1 pet solo. You get less xp (I may be off in my number, but I think it was about 2/3 or so), but you'll really notice it because you won't get a level from capturing the level 1 pet solo.
Awesome insight. Thank you for all the useful information and the suggestions of add-ons to use.
09/27/2012 10:05 AMPosted by Aieny
It appears at first glance that there is no difference between the two, but I haven't looked into it extensively.[/b]

There is. Do this test...take a level 1 pet out and kill a level 1 pet solo. You'll get 50xp, which is enough to level. Now, take another level 1 pet out and trap a level 1 pet solo. You get less xp (I may be off in my number, but I think it was about 2/3 or so), but you'll really notice it because you won't get a level from capturing the level 1 pet solo.

Good to know, thanks!
some great answesr to these questions, thanks!
09/27/2012 10:05 AMPosted by Aieny

After testing, you earn 3/4 experience from trapping a pet versus killing it. Using the test proposed above, a level 1 pet that solo traps another level 1 pet earns 38 xp. Assuming this is a rounded up number of 37.5xp, compared to 50xp for killing the pet, trapping a pet results in 25% decrease in experience.

However, I have not tested in multi-pet battles. I'll need to do some further testing to determine whether trapping a pet in a multi-pet battle yields decreased experience.
I'd like to add somemore question here

Is there any change to get a rare quality pet from vendor? I mean cheap vendor pets like cats, snakes etc, so far what I've seen r all uncommon. those expansive pets like those selling in molten front r definitely rare. So is there any change to get a rare bombay cat or other similar vendor pets?

how about some festive token pets like pint sized pink pachyderm? its uncommon too, will there be a chance to get rare? if no i'm not gonna waste my time collecting the token as i've already have everything i need.
I'll throw one more on the rare detection pile, check out the thread on this forum entitled "The Hit (point) List: Finding Rares". There's a very useful macro in there, along with instructions for setting it up.
09/28/2012 06:58 AMPosted by Lachdanen
Is there any change to get a rare quality pet from vendor?

At the moment, what you get from the vendor is just what you get, at whatever quality. It won't 'proc' into a rare.
I received a rare pet yesterday from a vendor.
10/03/2012 07:18 AMPosted by Goosecack

And it will always be a rare, for whoever buys it. There was no chance/RNG involved.
09/28/2012 06:58 AMPosted by Lachdanen
Is there any change to get a rare quality pet from vendor? I mean cheap vendor pets like cats, snakes etc, so far what I've seen r all uncommon.

There can be slightly different distributions of stats in the cheap vendor pets but I doubt they will ever be rare. I have one Blue Moth that is 156-9-10 and another is 154-10-10 for health-power-speed at level 1.

I also have Cockatiels that are 148-9-13 and 151-10-11.

I have seen reports that the Ghostly Skull has 4 variations in stats and it not exactly cheap at 40 gold.
The vendor-purchased pets from Molten Front are all rare quality pets.
09/28/2012 08:00 AMPosted by Rescind
Is there any change to get a rare quality pet from vendor?

At the moment, what you get from the vendor is just what you get, at whatever quality. It won't 'proc' into a rare.

10/03/2012 07:23 AMPosted by Rescind

And it will always be a rare, for whoever buys it. There was no chance/RNG involved.

So I'm a tad confused here, I came to see if vendor pets had a chance of being rare like wild ones. So, for example if I bought an albino snake for 40g from Breanni in Dalaran, clicked on it to "learn" it and an uncommon albino snake was added to my pet journal could I then purchase another one and possibly receive a rare? I understand some vendor pets are rare such as the ones in Molten Core but they are rare for everyone and isn't random. I know that they aren't going to change from uncommon to rare without a battle stone as Recind suggests that is what we are asking, but simply is it a random chance on getting a rare like going into a wild battle.
Mandiepandi-- This is an old thread. I think some of the information is outdated. It would've been better to start your own.

As far as I'm aware, vendor pets will always be the same quality, so if the first one you buy from a vendor is uncommon, they all will be. I've noticed that almost all vendor pets are uncommon. The only exceptions I've seen are the ones you buy with prize tickets at the Faire, which are rare. But there's still a lot I haven't seen, so I can't say for sure that there aren't some others somewhere that are rare.

I would recommend using the stones on your vendor pets whenever you get one.
So I'm a tad confused here, I came to see if vendor pets had a chance of being rare like wild ones. So, for example if I bought an albino snake for 40g from Breanni in Dalaran, clicked on it to "learn" it and an uncommon albino snake was added to my pet journal could I then purchase another one and possibly receive a rare?

No. They can have random breeds, but vendor pets are only either Blue or Green depending on the pet.

Battlestones are the only way of getting rare versions of those.