5.0 Brewmaster PvE Guide

Monk
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
Healing Talent Tier:

Do not dismiss Chi Wave.

People used Zen Sphere before because it was glitched and was not applying the AOE penalty, making it INCREDIBLY powerful for healing large groups. Now that the penalty is appropriately applied, Chi Wave is very strong again.

As a sidenote, you can avoid every epicenter on Feng
alamonk haiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Personally I find a more usual tank build with Mastery, Stam and Parry working better overall. The idea behind the haste and crit build is nice, and I would prefer it, the problem is it's not just too reliant on the monk collecting orbs and using expel harm and other self heals on demand, but you end up taking more damage and larger hits.

I still find plenty of healing orbs on the ground when needed. Energy regen not a problem it's barely any different.

The only notable difference that I can find is my dps is a lot lower, but not enough to keep us from killing bosses.
Guide updated 14 October. (Sorry for delays, had some personal issues going on.) Changes:

-Added note about Guard bug (fading when Black Ox Statue casts guard on other target)
-Reworked description of Shuffle to better describe the rolling nature of the mechanic
-Changed recommendation for talents: Chi Wave instead of Zen Sphere, Chi Brew instead of Power Strikes
-Redid stat weight section again to clarify that multiple strategies are effective, and because Venyasure's theorycrafting was over/valuing hit/exp a bit.
-Expanded on discussion of DW v 2H.
Guard
-Guard will no longer fade from the Monk when her Ox Statue applies Guard to another player.
-Glyph of Guard will no longer prevent the Monk's Ox Statue from applying Guard to other players.

OCT 16 Hotfixes! Woot
So im having a huge problem with brewmaster tanking atm.

First thing is ive noticed that my armor is REALLY low, so on fights like Will of the emp, im getting hit for 200k constantly, and instantly having a 40k stagger. Secondly, i feel like im missing a cooldown, every other class has multiple awesome tank CDs where all we really have is elusive brew that requires you to build up stacks on it, dampen harm which really you have to predict when the hard hits are coming, and fort brew that is decent when used with something else, and guard seems to not absorb enough damage. This is really unorganized cause im mid raid typing this out atm, ill refine it in a bit here...
I've found I'm pretty even in damage taken with our DK tank on Will. The fact that we have low armor (which is just something that Brewmasters will have to deal with unless Blizzard gives us an armor modifier) is mitigated by the fact that we have Stagger and Shuffle( which should have a 100% uptime while you are tanking a boss). That fight is really all about managing your Chi and Shuffle (even moreso than other fights because of the slow hard hits) while avoiding the Arcs and the armor debuff they throw on you. Dampen harm lasts for a while, and has a relatively short cooldown; Elusive Brew can be built up pretty fast, and you have free time to build up Chi and Shuffle while you are dancing around the Arcs. Guard is also very powerful for this fight because it scales with AP - you have a lot of AP from the crazy Vengeance you get on this fight; 30% extra healing ain't too shabby either. Fortifying Brew is an excellent cooldown and it should be up every other gas phase; healer cooldowns should cover the other gas phases for you.
Brewmasters excel at tanking Will. I died significantly less than our other tank while we were learning the fight on Heroic and the damage I take is very stable and manageable.
10/20/2012 07:46 PMPosted by Brotherbrian
Brewmasters excel at tanking Will. I died significantly less than our other tank while we were learning the fight on Heroic and the damage I take is very stable and manageable.

Brotherbrian, I was looking over your armory page and have a question if you don't mind. I've been switching back and forth between an exp hard cap/haste build and mastery/stam build. I've only tanked in the exp/haste set up so far (in raid), haven't tested out the mastery build in raid yet, just 5-mans. I wasn't sure if you were swapping out some pieces of gear while tanking because you were logged in WW spec, but what sort of set up are you using while tanking? Just wanted to get some input from some folks that are further along (in your case, much further along) and see what sort of experiences you've had with it. Also, what set up are you using in challenge modes?

Thanks,
Tek

Edit: My armor is a mess right now... Trying to decide how detrimental it would be to try tanking below hit/exp caps.
I'm not sure about raids yet, but I find the breath of fire glyph useful as a second interrupt in instances.
10/20/2012 07:46 PMPosted by Brotherbrian

That could be attributed to solid healing as well. Looking over your logs, you take excessive amounts of damage as compared to your Paladin partner, and you don't seem very adept at dancing.

Having tried both an all mastery build, versus an all haste/crit build while maintaining soft caps on hit/expertise I can tell you from my experience in heroic 10 mans, the haste/crit surpasses the mastery build by far. They aren't even close with regards to damage taken, amount of stagger I can purify because of the chi regeneration, elusive brew stacks alone.

This doesn't even count the amount of dmg I self heal for, or absorb with guard due to the AP boost increase, nor the damage output I do to beat those enrage timers.

I would stick with the following priorities in every fight in the current tier:

Agi > Hit = Exerptise (soft caps at 7.5%) > Haste > Crit > Mastery > Parry > Dodge
I really wish we had a different guide up here while unsticking this one. This is about a 6/10, but it's WI, so I can't say I expected much to begin with. 4 for content, 2 for effort, -4 for some seriously spotty information. OP doesn't even have a tank spec at the time of this post.

Reeks of advertising, and that's about it.
I wasn't sure if anyone has said what macro they use, but I have found this to work out well for me.
/target Ox Statue
/cast Provoke
/targetlasttarget
What this should do is taunt the statue with out haven't to untarget the boss or what ever you were attacking.
I wasn't sure if anyone has said what macro they use, but I have found this to work out well for me.
/target Ox Statue
/cast Provoke
/targetlasttarget
What this should do is taunt the statue with out haven't to untarget the boss or what ever you were attacking.

/cast [@ox statue] provoke

should work my monk is only 47 so cant test it myself! and isnt its name black ox statue?
this might run into problems if there is a 2nd brewmasters statue down in which case /cast [@focus] provoke might be your best bet and /focus your statue

/cast [@ox statue] provoke

should work my monk is only 47 so cant test it myself! and isnt its name black ox statue?
this might run into problems if there is a 2nd brewmasters statue down in which case /cast [@focus] provoke might be your best bet and /focus your statue

Wasn't working. Hers does though.
10/23/2012 07:14 AMPosted by Genshin
Exerptise (soft caps at 7.5%)

I wish people would understand that there is no longer such a thing as a soft cap as far as tanks are concerned.

Expertise does not reduce dodge and parry chance simultaneously anymore. It is now up to 7.5% for Dodge and the next 7.5% reduces Parry. Every point is just as effective as the previous one all the way up to 15%.

This guide has a LOT of misinformation and that is very poor form for a tank whose performance is so dependent on playstyle. 4/10 is being nice to it.
This guide has a LOT of misinformation and that is very poor form for a tank whose performance is so dependent on playstyle. 4/10 is being nice to it.

The guide says Gift of the Ox has a limit of 3 orbs and goes onto describe how good monks count the orbs and grab them as they spawn and stuff....all of this isn't true Gift of the Ox has infinite orbs and it's more like stockpiling them and grabbing a pile of them when you dip below 50% imo.....Thanks to this guide I was crazy confused when I first started seeing a billion orbs on my screen
I think the OP may have bitten off a bit more than he could chew with managing all three spec guides. As a guide writer on both the forums here and on mmoc I can't imagine keeping 3 up and current/accurate without letting the quality drop significantly in all of them, and I spend enough time on upkeep with the single spec I theorycraft for. My advice to the OP would be to let other people take the reins on 2 of the 3 specs, and really focus on making 1 guide instead of trying to manage all three. You really don't want a 'Jack of all trades master of none' situation when it comes to these guides.