Rare spawn pets and Rare quality pets

Pet Battles
Does anyone run away from rare pets like onyxia spawns because they are not rare quality of the pet? I feel bad doing this because it destroys the pet spawn for people who just want to have the pet and not care about if its rare or not.
If that many people want it then just catch it can sell it on the AH fer cheap. That way you can make a small pittance and someone can get the pet they really desire for almost no effort. That's what I call a win-win.
09/28/2012 04:10 PMPosted by Kittoes
If that many people want it then just catch it can sell it on the AH fer cheap. That way you can make a small pittance and someone can get the pet they really desire for almost no effort. That's what I call a win-win.

Except that you can't trade pets caught in battle.

And, eh. It's not like there's any other way to get a rare version of the pet, so while it is unfortunate, there's not really anything you can do to avoid it.
09/28/2012 04:13 PMPosted by Orethen

Oh wow, I didn't realize that. That seems like quite a bad limitation =/. I suppose they don't want people flooding the AH with worthless pets that no one is going to buy (like poors/commons/uncommons) but you should totally be able to sell rare battle pets. The market for those would be huge!
09/28/2012 03:25 PMPosted by Malificari
Does anyone run away from rare pets like onyxia spawns because they are not rare quality of the pet? I feel bad doing this because it destroys the pet spawn for people who just want to have the pet and not care about if its rare or not.

It's not like you can tell if it's poor or rare before you start the battle. And after you start it doesn't matter if you catch it, kill it, or forfeit, nobody else is getting it anyway.
Unfortunitely this is the ONLY way to tell. I wish you could forfeit and the pet would appear again for other people, that mgiht be good to add in. Otherwise it does really suck, especially since the rare one is REALLY rare apparently. I've been camping it for 2 days now, going on 3. Even just earlier, I was the only one around and they all spawned and I could NOT find a rare one, even right after the spawn, they were all lower health. I saw posts saying the health of the rare one is 723, not sure if that's the hp before getting it or not, must be since uncommon seems to be 563-587. I'm guessing rare is in the 600's maybe. Either way, I have not seen one this entire time. I'm determined though, I'm not giving up and having wasted these past few days of constant camping. Is there anything else special when finding a rare one? like the place they are usually found or is it just random?
Oh and how long before the whole group respawns again? It happened here around 5am...
09/28/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Shalura
It's not like you can tell if it's poor or rare before you start the battle. And after you start it doesn't matter if you catch it, kill it, or forfeit, nobody else is getting it anyway.

Pretty much this. However, if I dont have one of the participating pets in my collection I will capture it no matter the quality.
10am now and still not a single spawn, so spawn rate is at least 5 hours so far. I have a feeling it's a 10-12 hour spawn rate.

Edit: 10:50am and two showed up, still no rares.
Edit: 11:50am now and ever since the first two showed up there has been two or so spawning every 5-10 minutes or so. I assume it will be the same amount as the large group spawn except timed over a certain amount of time instead of all at once.
Still no rares.

Update: 12:55AM, Saturday, I found my first rare Spawn of Onyxia after three days of camping. The health before capture was 623, after capture it was 755. Nothing special about the location, right in front of the cave opening out in the swamp a bit.
I've been wiping oily slimelings out for hours, I feel like such a d-bag but I just can't seem to find a rare :(
I don't forfeit the fight just because it isn't rare. I use the fight to give experience to a low-level pet so it is worthwhile even if I don't find the rare.

Someone reported that respawns are slower if a player goes through fast looking for a rare and forfeits every match. That hurts other players.
I call bull!@#$ on that, when I did it during the last big respawn, they actually appeared quicker after that, only within 2 hours instead of 6 hours.

If you wait for a fight between all of them, double each, then you lose the chance to get a rare by going through them all. Especially since apparently it's rare enough that I've gone through at least a hundred spawns at various times, fighting, taming some, and forfeiting others, without even a single rare. That's a drastically low percentage.
Plus usually when this happens no one else is around anyway, it'd just be silly to do that.

After 3 days of camping this place, there is no way in hell I'm giving up my chance at a rare. That's like basically saying I should let everyone else go first who just shows up on a whim instead of getting what I'm due from spending my entire life this past week trying to find this damned thing. That's just dumb. I'm not relying on chance on a whim, I have a set goal and a method to go about it. If anything, at this point I've put in way more work than most would. I think I deserve at least one rare for my over 72 hours of gameplay at this single location.

actually, if you absolutely dont wanna fight it, and dont wanna capture it, you can force yourself to disconnect, thereby resetting the pet battle before you entered it. Though I suppose that is a bit of a fuss, right?

09/28/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Kittoes

Oh wow, I didn't realize that. That seems like quite a bad limitation =/. I suppose they don't want people flooding the AH with worthless pets that no one is going to buy (like poors/commons/uncommons) but you should totally be able to sell rare battle pets. The market for those would be huge!

Actually, people who are just collecting, and not really fighting will buy poors and commons. I made 525k gold in 2 weeks on the beta, capturing any pet in battle, and caging the ones that were inferior, and selling them in the AH. Sigh. Wouldve been RICH i tell you, RICH!
09/28/2012 04:13 PMPosted by Orethen

And, eh. It's not like there's any other way to get a rare version of the pet, so while it is unfortunate, there's not really anything you can do to avoid it.

Can't you just catch two of the same pet, then cage one to put up on the AH? As long as you have multiples you can cage them for AH.
10/07/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Psychoticbob

Can't you just catch two of the same pet, then cage one to put up on the AH? As long as you have multiples you can cage them for AH.

Except that you CANNOT cage a wild caught pet. Only pets from items... and even then, not all of those.
I know this thread was started a few weeks ago, but seeing as I've started getting into the pet battling I thought I'd chime in.

Rare quality rare spawn hunting does suck indeed. I've only gone for 2 myself (Spawn of Ony and Jade Oozeling), and between low spawn rates, double RNG in some of their cases (in Ony's case given that it has to spawn, then has to be rare) and competition, it's a big PITA. After about 4 or 5 days trying to get a rare SoO (when not raiding/doing dailies), I settled on one of the two uncommons I had caught, and while it's a decent 25 I just know how awesome a rare one would be. In the case of the Jade Oozling, I actually had the pain of the second one I encountered being rare, and then my pet's attack that would've brought it low enough to catch it critting and killing it. >.<

I don't think it's a bad system, but it does suck that we have to go such measures for a pet which is identical to one that was given out to people for just logging in a few years ago (I've been playing wow since vanilla, and I only took about a year and a half to two years off of WoW - causing me to miss out on, at least, the Onyxia Whelpling and Lil' Deathwing, two pretty awesome pets). Fortunately next patch there'll be those rare-making consumables, but even then - can we really afford to use them on wild pets, when there are non-wild pets that don't have any other way to become rare?

Also, I noticed someone saying that they were judging rarity based on HP values and stuff. I did this initially, but just go and get Pet Battle Quality Glow. It'll change your life. Though if you're like me it'll bring out the OCD in you, and for any pet that isn't a rare spawn you'll struggle to bring yourself to catch it if it isn't rare quality. Case in point - I've been in the Vale for about 2 hours now, trying to catch the 6 wild pets. None of them are rare spawns in the slightest, but I'm only at 4/6 because I can't bring myself to settle for a non-rare Golden Civet Kitten or Dancing Water Skimmer. :-P
I just kill it, if it's stats look too low. At least I can get some xp for it.
Jup almost always kill em
There are some mods out there which can show the quality of the pet. Right now, I'm using "Battle Pet - Quality Notifier". It's decent, but you still have to enter battle with the pet to get the list of the qualities of all pets.
It depends on the pet. Once it rained on the island in STV, the baby apes were abundant and I had little competition so I farmed until I got a blue.

I got a Minfernal after spending about 15 hours of camping on different servers, with a lot of competition. It was white quality. I wasn't going to abandon it, I'm happy with what I got. I am not going to continue hunting a better quality one.

Luckily they are adding battle stones now, so we can use those to upgrade the pets soon. Yes, I realize this thread was probably created prior to this news.