Thread for Live Horse Topics

Story Forum
No dead horses allowed.

Similar to the Community lounge, but open lore debate is allowed! Just not about Lordaeron and the like.

Opening topic

By the time the Siege of Orgrimmar rolls around, the Horde and Alliance will likely be pretty firmly entrenched in Pandaria, with Forts and bases scattered around, even if most are in ruins. Will those simply be dismantled at the end of the War, or will they have skeleton crews running them, much like Saurfang is doing in Northrend atm, or will they be manned by Horde/Alliance aligned natives?

I think something the playerbase should push for is having races from Pandaria and other expansions continue to show up in the following expansion, even if they don't get a lot of limelight, it'd help to give a sense of cohesion beyond each expansion existing in its own bubble, or 'how the heck did X get to Y"?

For example, if the next expansion is a legion Expac, we could have the Horde using Hozen to replace peons since most died during Pandaria, or the Alliance could have Jinyu helping to find viable water sources in the hostile nether environments.

A possible argument against this is that people might be 'tired' of seeing these races after having the storylines focus on them for months, but this could be addressed by keeping them in relatively few positions of deeper importance, and just have them among the usual NPCs.

Thoughts on whether aligned yet nonplayable races should or should not be present in later expansions?
I definitely believe nonplayable who've joined the factions should have appearances, but it shouldn't overshadow the main races.

Taunka, Hozen, Jinyu, Furbolg, Broken Draenei etc. They should appear in places where their skills would make great use. Obviously this shouldn't apply to all instances, otherwise those races will be pigeonholed into that particular role (like how Night Elves have become almost synonymous with druids since that is an aspect of their culture which gets pushed heavily while the Priestesses of Elune and especially the Demon Hunters just fell off to the wayside).

Example: Lets use the broken. They're widely known for their shamanistic connections. But they also have a very potent hand in the arts of being rogues. I know it makes little sense for us to 'see' a rogue's work in action a lot of the time, but being involved occassionaly or seeing the fruits of their work is perfectly reasonable.

Jinyu also have that potential to be forced into a single role, as basically the guys who summon water. Seeing a few Jinyu on the front lines would be great to see rather than just them being solely working with water magic. They're forever tied to water, we know this, but that doesn't mean that should be the only thing they can do.
Agreed, if anything, races would be better integrated if we saw them in quests that never even made mention of them.

Imagine a Legion expansion starts off, and we get a quest to go meet up with a squad of elite NPCs to help secure some ground to start building the first outpost in whatever fiery pit we're fighting in.

The squad consists of the usual Alliance races, plus some Jinyu and potentially others (ethereals?), or Hordeside, it could have some Ogres and say, Taunka or Yaungol.
Well since the last topic has been resolved and this thread is for posting non-controversial topics, I'd like to pose a question here: Do volcanoes exist in wow at all? I mean when you think of the entire idea of the volcanoes, they're more of just mountains that fire elementals use as their headquarters. Plus the entire point behind them is invalid considering that the Titans created the land mass so there's no real reason for them to add volcanoes to Azeroth in the first place. If anything they're more of the types of things that adds chaos more than anything, which is attacking their goal for an orderly universe.
They exist as concepts at least, I think they've referred to Fire Plume Ridge and Blackrock Mountain as 'volcanic', but It's probably more something that's a theory or out in the ocean as a natural part of the way the planet works, rather than on the main landmasses.

Recall that whether or not the titans put them in, Volcanoes would develop in some places regardless, especially without the Black Dragonflight to monitor the earth.
Hows this for a live horse (and random) topic:

The Naga were originally Night Elves who were transformed into their sea serpent/creature like forms by an old god.

Is it possible that a Naga could be transformed back into a Night Elf?

I see this as a way to include both lore about the highborn and Elune. Perhaps have a situation were a group of Highborn are aiding the Alliance in some endevor and a Naga comes to warn them about a coming attack. This Naga is then wounded in the attack. Grateful for the aid he/she provided a priestess of Elune calls to the goddess for help in healing the Naga and in the process returns the character to a highborn Night Elf.
My election as Warchief will serve as a thrilling and interesting topic of discussion. Begin! :)

The Naga were originally Night Elves who were transformed into their sea serpent/creature like forms by an old god.

I see this as a way to include both lore about the highborn and Elune. Perhaps have a situation were a group of Highborn are aiding the Alliance in some endevor and a Naga comes to warn them about a coming attack. This Naga is then wounded in the attack. Grateful for the aid he/she provided a priestess of Elune calls to the goddess for help in healing the Naga and in the process returns the character to a highborn Night Elf.

If a Satyr can, it's almost a sure thing that a Naga can as well.

There was a naga in TH who used an illusion to appear as her Highborne self

That is assuming they were ever Night Elves to begin with. We've seen newly and freshly hatched naga before who've never been anything else. They could no more be turned "back" into Kaldorei than, say, Lor'themar.

There's no way of knowing what percent of Nagas have always been Nagas, but it's possible that only a select few among the elite still living were ever Night Elves to begin with.
That is assuming they were ever Night Elves to begin with. We've seen newly and freshly hatched naga before who've never been anything else. They could no more be turned "back" into Kaldorei than, say, Lor'themar.

There's no way of knowing what percent of Nagas have always been Nagas, but it's possible that only a select few among the elite still living were ever Night Elves to begin with.

That is an excellent point. Could you in fact change a naga that was born as a naga into the progenitor Night elf race?
Isn't it stated that lady vashj was suppose to have been alive pre-sundering?

So I would say either immortal or very long lived.

It's possible they have essentially become water elementals, like the ascendents we fought in cata, which would make them immortal.
09/30/2012 09:32 PMPosted by Skytotem
They exist as concepts at least, I think they've referred to Fire Plume Ridge and Blackrock Mountain as 'volcanic', but It's probably more something that's a theory or out in the ocean as a natural part of the way the planet works, rather than on the main landmasses.
Well it's just that while both Fire Plume Ridge and Blackrock Mountain might seem like volcanoes, they're more like headquarters to the fire elementals themselves. I mean why is Blackrock Mountain considered as a mountain if it has the characteristics of a volcano? Ragnaros is inside of it and is causing lava to flow throughout it. Fire Plume Ridge is the same, fire elementals are found there so it kind of seems likely that they've found that more as a base than anything else.
Is fire plume hot because of the elementals or are elementals there because its hot?

I suppose it could be answered by whether everything in the middle of the map sunk or if there's been continental drift (I'm actually not totally certain I assume drift)

Because the latter would imply shifting plates and therefore volcanoes

Furthermore the various hot springs could imply volcanic activity
Is fire plume hot because of the elementals or are elementals there because its hot?

I suppose it could be answered by whether everything in the middle of the map sunk or if there's been continental drift (I'm actually not totally certain I assume drift)

Because the latter would imply shifting plates and therefore volcanoes

Furthermore the various hot springs could imply volcanic activity
This is all under the assumption of real world applications. Now Earth was not made by aliens who came for the sole reason of order, it was made by other things (I'm not elaborating into which because that is not the topic of discussion), and volcanoes are not supporting order in any way. That said, why would the Titans create a planet that would have such things in place? The only explanation that I can come up with are that it's from an external force, such as the black dragonflight or the old gods. Perhaps the hot springs are in place because of the fire elementals? Of course they could also be part of the Titans' creation as well. Remember that Un'Goro Crater was a type of testing ground for them, much like Sholazar Basin was.
As far as we know azeroth wasn't created in the sense I believe you mean.

And while I was including the hot springs in ungoro, I do seem to recall others as well, for instance in the borean tundra. Also, while not a hot spring, I do seem to recall a hot place in vashjir. Granted, the spring in winterspring I believe is do to the demon canyon (which is odd considering the spring has beneficial properties)
Apparently the Vale waters are similar to Sholazar.

So they might be similar to Titantech, makes sense with the Mogu being present and them digging up Titan Tech from the mountain.
This may or may not be related to lore, but still is a question that's plagued me for a day or so. So I recently bought the wotlk cinematics book which went into detail about how they created the wotlk opening cinematic. Pretty interesting stuff in there, but I'm getting off-topic. My point is, in there contained a big group of interesting pieces of art pertaining for the undead as well as death knights. My question is, why didn't they go for some of the interesting undead or show off the undead creatures in wow through the type of light shown in the book instead? There were many different types of creatures that were more horrific than the ones that were shown in game. Why do you think the Scourge was portrayed more as a punching bag in-game than the type of horrific force that the living barely survive through and from some miracle manage to push back?
10/06/2012 02:03 AMPosted by Vynathlon
My question is, why didn't they go for some of the interesting undead or show off the undead creatures in wow through the type of light shown in the book instead? There were many different types of creatures that were more horrific than the ones that were shown in game. Why do you think the Scourge was portrayed more as a punching bag in-game than the type of horrific force that the living barely survive through and from some miracle manage to push back?

Is that the same as the wotlk artbook? I didn't see much i there that was so horrific beyond more skeletons and such.

Either way I'd chalk it up to Blizz giving the Lich King so much of an "I'll get yo next time Gadget!" vibe.