Very bad FPS all of a sudden, please help

Mac Technical Support
Post Limit:
All of a sudden, I've been having unplayably low levels of FPS, from 10 down. I don't understand why this is happening. Once I start up the game it seems to be around 30+ for a little while, then, bam, it hits me, and its miserable to play afterwards. I'm playing on a 2008 macbook pro with 4 gigs of ram, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, and Mac OS X 10.7.5. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB. It has never been this bad before, and it hits in low pop zones, high pop zones, instances, doesn't matter. I tried uninstalling / reinstalling twice, and both times when I started to play it worked at around 40+ FPS for about a half hour then started sucking again. I repaired my computers permissions, deleted the folders people always say to delete, and nada. Doesn't do jack. Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Also, I have been looking at Activity Monitor and it tells me I have most of my CPU is unused while the game is running, so it's not that my computer is terrible. Not only that, but I don't have any other programs running in the background besides basic things that always need to run.
Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G56)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 32 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.27f3
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Disabled

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x1
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3212
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
Also, I've noticed, it's even laggy after the "FPS bomb" hits at character select and other aspects of the menu before you even enter the game. It also stays terrible like this until I reboot my computer. Then it's fine for a half hour, lag bomb hits, and its !@#$ty from then on out
I drop down to 4 fps quite often just fighting one mob.
OS X 10.8.2 all available updates.
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GBChipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB

I tried capping for and background to 60 fps and it ran a little cooler but still nose dived to 4 FPS. This was the fastest MBP out a couple years ago.
I believe it may be the computer. i had a similar issue on my 2009 macbook where i would get roughly 30-40 fps and one day out of the blue it dropped to very low fps and stayed there. I've also tried everything and nothing has worked. I believe the older models are beginning to take effect as the game progress it demands the newer models. Only solution i got is buy a new macbook ( which im doing soon ). Srry : /

*blinks* Just noticing this now.

Dat Lane Width. It be too small :( . It should be x16 according to my research.

Try resetting your SMC :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Also do you have Display Lua errors turned on in ESC -> Interface -> Help (must be logged in to see proper options)
I am also having problems with my game after updating to Mountain Lion.

Blizzard has literally given me 10 different problems as to what it could be, all of which have not worked.

*blinks* Just noticing this now.

Dat Lane Width. It be too small :( . It should be x16 according to my research.

Try resetting your SMC :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Also do you have Display Lua errors turned on in ESC -> Interface -> Help (must be logged in to see proper options)

Reset the SMC, this is my new info. I also downloaded Mountain Lion, took apart my computer, and cleaned out all the dust in the fans.

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C54)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 2 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.27f3
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Disabled

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3212
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
I did not have the "display errors" turned on, though I have just enabled that.

Thank you, by the way, for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it a lot
10/02/2012 07:25 PMPosted by Mizzix

Still looks wrong.

This should be x16

You might want to consider taking it into an Apple store so they can do a manual reset of the PMU module , beyond what a SMC reset can do.

10/02/2012 07:27 PMPosted by Mizzix

Install :

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/bugsack

Then log into game.

Check to see if any Lua errors are coming up or if Bugsack reports the reporting system has been shut down for x amount of time.
see the other thread. it solves this issue.
10/02/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Bluspacecow

Still looks wrong.

This should be x16

You might want to consider taking it into an Apple store so they can do a manual reset of the PMU module , beyond what a SMC reset can do.

Install :

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/bugsack

Then log into game.

Check to see if any Lua errors are coming up or if Bugsack reports the reporting system has been shut down for x amount of time.

I installed both Bugsack and !BugGrabber and when I get the report, it only says 1-0, and no errors or anything are displayed. Also, that trick you mentioned about resetting my computer's SMC? It worked, for a while. Even with 8 instead of 16 in that area, I could runs smoothly on the lowest settings. However, again, I got hit with the lag bomb today and noticed it went back to 1 again
10/03/2012 01:32 AMPosted by Hometh
see the other thread. it solves this issue.

It seems to solve the issue for those who have that option for graphics switching. I don't see that anywhere under my energy saver options. My macbook is a 2008
It seems like the issue is definitely connected with the PCI lane width. After doing the fix again, the PCI is up to 8 and is working again. Whenever I have the issue, the PCI is 1, whenever it works, PCI is 8.

Is this a problem with my machine? If so, how can I solve this?

Is it possible that some aspect of the game is somehow influencing this change?

All bug reports say I have no bugs
I am on a 27" iMac running mountain lion. I have had no trouble with fps until the other day. I do not see how it could be something on my end. I have disabled all addons and tried many of the suggestions to no avail. I did see any sense in starting a new thread but it doesnt appear that this is being resolved. I will keep searching for clues and trying things.

Update : this did not work before but for some reason lowering my settings using the selection in graphics seems to solve the problem but again this did not start happening until the other day and I had no problems what so ever before. I am not sure if it is one particular setting or a combination that is causing it.
10/03/2012 03:48 PMPosted by Mizzix
It seems to solve the issue for those who have that option for graphics switching. I don't see that anywhere under my energy saver options. My macbook is a 2008

Your machine has only the one graphics card making Hometh's advice irrelevant.

t seems like the issue is definitely connected with the PCI lane width. After doing the fix again, the PCI is up to 8 and is working again. Whenever I have the issue, the PCI is 1, whenever it works, PCI is 8.

Is this a problem with my machine? If so, how can I solve this?

Is it possible that some aspect of the game is somehow influencing this change?

Probably your machine.

Could be your PMU unit being faulty or something.

There's two other things you can try before taking it in :

1) Reset the PRAM :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

2) Run a Apple Hardware Test.

I understand that for that model you can do that by holding down the "D" key on startup. Failing that there may be a CD that come with the computer with the AHT on it.