Breath of Fire

Monk
I find myself not using BoF as much as I wish I could. It's one of the most iconic abilities for brewmasters and I never see a time where is rather use chi on other than BoK or Guard...
Its a common complaint. Would love if it it proc'd shuffle so it'd be our AoE version of BoK.
Im confused...I use BoF almost ever time it is available. I have been speced Brewmaster since level one. I never lose aggro and I think I have died twice while tanking. You breathe fire and it adds aggro, why are you not using it every cooldown? Im not being a smarty pants, just kind of ignorent i guess. What is your roataion?
If they could change it to where the DoT could be applied to bosses I would use the ability often enough to keep the DoT rolling and use BoK in between refreshes. It REALLY shouldn't be that hard to implement.
09/30/2012 05:04 PMPosted by Ceraras
Im confused...I use BoF almost ever time it is available. I have been speced Brewmaster since level one. I never lose aggro and I think I have died twice while tanking. You breathe fire and it adds aggro, why are you not using it every cooldown? Im not being a smarty pants, just kind of ignorent i guess. What is your roataion?

Brewmaster Training:
After you Blackout Kick, you gain Shuffle, increasing your parry chance by 20% and your Stagger amount by an additional 20% for 6 sec.

Then the 2 Chi for Guard.

You can get away with damage attacks for awhile; it basically will come down to a bit more DPS or a bit more survivability.

I don't have an issue with threat and I'd rather spend the chi on survival spells and make my healers life easier and after I have 15+ Shuffle then I'd think about using BoF
09/30/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Kegs
What is your roataion?

My rotations KS, BoK, jab x2,Tiger palm x3, BoK, jab x2, and guard
BoK>Guard for me and I use KS on CD
Wow, those are all very good points. I was not using BoK AT ALL because I was more focused on keeping the aggro with AoE damage then focusing on the proc you get from BoK. I guess I was just not to concerned with it at lower levels due to the fact that...well, I didnt need the dodge. Cata and MoP dungeons and raids, that will be nice which means I need to change my rotation.

Also, what about using the Chi Wave. I was using this whenever the healer would struggle and it would always keep the group alive. I guess if I had that extra dodge, I wouldnt need the Chi Wave =P (answered my own question).

Thank you all for this!
=D
Chi wave I have not used that much at lower levels but I have heard it is very good for Hs, I just never have trouble with healing at such a low level.
Throw me into the "I wish I could use BoF but I can't because my Chi is going to survival powers crew."

I feel that if they either just made it a Chi generator, or let it proc Shuffle, it'd be a great skill. As it is I don't need the threat, but I do want to keep my survival powers rolling, so I very rarely use BoF, if at all.

Which is sad, because I enjoy the ability.
I think this is an inherent design personally, and honestly I actually like it, it seems like we are able to shift between generating more aggro (BoF) or survivability (BoK/Guard).
Wow, those are all very good points. I was not using BoK AT ALL because I was more focused on keeping the aggro with AoE damage then focusing on the proc you get from BoK

Keg and Dizzying should stick the mobs to you indefinitely. BoK provides Parry and lets you hit with counterattack, which is a free jab worth of damage to the target.
10/01/2012 02:37 PMPosted by Zhulin
I think this is an inherent design personally, and honestly I actually like it, it seems like we are able to shift between generating more aggro (BoF) or survivability (BoK/Guard).

The problem with the choice is that you can't choose not to take the survivability. Shuffle is -required- to stand a chance against pulls. Unless you have a 3 palm Guard up you just can't sacrifice it. Dizzying and KS should provide enough threat but hitting BoK all the time isn't fun.
Yeah, they already tried that in cata. Pally tanks could choose between SoTR and WoG, for damage or healing. Tanks went with WoG 100% of the time, and they ended up giving it a 20 second CD to force them to use SoTR.

Same thing with DK tanks. Maybe heartstrike for trivial content, but otherwise if they have to choose between it and DS, they were going to go with DS.

Its okay on bosses - Can't drunken haze them anyways, but it does get to be a little problematic for AoE pulls, since we have to choose between AoEing or surviving.
Fair enough, I am only up through Hellfire Ramparts as far as tanking and I felt like I could swap back and forth pretty easily myself, but that certainly is no indication of high level/Heroic/Raiding of course.
Right around 72-73 you start noticing things hit hard.
Yeah, they already tried that in cata. Pally tanks could choose between SoTR and WoG, for damage or healing. Tanks went with WoG 100% of the time, and they ended up giving it a 20 second CD to force them to use SoTR.

Same thing with DK tanks. Maybe heartstrike for trivial content, but otherwise if they have to choose between it and DS, they were going to go with DS.

Its okay on bosses - Can't drunken haze them anyways, but it does get to be a little problematic for AoE pulls, since we have to choose between AoEing or surviving.

well since you have 3 other players doing your aoe in theory, id probably go with the surviving

BoF probably just has no place in serious content, until blizz forces it to somehow.
Generating Chi, or having no cost and no gen, longer cooldown would be perfect.
You also need to account for Purifying Brew, which, once you have it, will steadily eat away at whatever spare chi you might have been able to use for BoF.
Warrior - Ultimatum: 30% chance to make your next HS or cleave free after devastate.
DK - Crimson Scourge: 10% chance to make your next Blood boil or DnD free
Bear - Thrash and Lacerate have a chance to reset the cooldown on Mangle
Paladin - Grand Crusader: 20% chance on CS/HoTR to make your next Avenger shield free and make it generate HoPo

Ultimatum gives prot warriors a use for cleave/HS, when normally they would never use it because it competes with shield barrier/block now.

The other three stimulate resources. Wonder why Brewmaster doesn't have anything like that.