Reputation Grind in Mists

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Anyone else feel like this is agonizing pain being restricted exclusively to Daily Questing to gain reputation for everyone? Maybe add a rep cap per day, but dailies are frustrating. Agonizing. Between Jade Forest, the Lotus, the Klaxxi, and I've yet to unlock the dailies for august celestials and shado pain... I mean shado pan.

I think a small adjustment in ways to get rep should be in order >_>"
Think that's bad? just wait until you decide you want to level up an alt. God forbid you actually want to do anything on it. That'll be more dailies that you've already done a billion times before. And good luck to you if you want to level a THIRD alt... Ugh.

There's two ways they can make this somewhat bearable;

1. Significantly up the amount of rep the dailies give you.
Seriously. The golden lotus quests give you like 130ish rep per quest... And you need that exalted to even open up other reps, terrible.

2. Make rep account wide.
Blizzard said this would take too much of the game away from people but that is their fault for designing an expansion around probably the worst grinding system the game has to offer.

There is absolutely nothing epic about spending hours a day doing the same terrible quests. (And yes, they are terrible. Kill 20 of those, collect 20 of these.) over and over again. Blizzard should not be rewarding and encouraging the mentality of 'I can play this game for longer than you, I deserve better gear than you!'

The game will go no where with that attitude, it just wont. And I am almost certain they will lost more subscriptions once more people realize what 'content' there is right now.

All my opinion, of course.
Think that's bad? just wait until you decide you want to level up an alt. God forbid you actually want to do anything on it. That'll be more dailies that you've already done a billion times before. And good luck to you if you want to level a THIRD alt... Ugh.

There's two ways they can make this somewhat bearable;

1. Significantly up the amount of rep the dailies give you.
Seriously. The golden lotus quests give you like 130ish rep per quest... And you need that exalted to even open up other reps, terrible.

2. Make rep account wide.
Blizzard said this would take too much of the game away from people but that is their fault for designing an expansion around probably the worst grinding system the game has to offer.

There is absolutely nothing epic about spending hours a day doing the same terrible quests. (And yes, they are terrible. Kill 20 of those, collect 20 of these.) over and over again. Blizzard should not be rewarding and encouraging the mentality of 'I can play this game for longer than you, I deserve better gear than you!'

The game will go no where with that attitude, it just wont. And I am almost certain they will lost more subscriptions once more people realize what 'content' there is right now.

All my opinion, of course.

There is a third option. Give a repeatable method of reputation. Currently there is NO WAY to speed up your rep at all. It's do dailies X number of days (Where "x" in this case is a very, very large number) and the only way to reduce that number is doing the dailies. Its a mind numbing, frustrating, artificially limited grind which makes you wanna tear your eyes out because you spend half of it waiting.

Example Good Rep: Order of the Cloud Serpent -- Decent number of dailies, reasonably sized rep rewards per turn in. Optional secondary proffession dailies if you're willing to put in extra effort to grind them for your rep. Optional repeatable turn in in the form of Onyx Egg. 500 rep per egg, reasonably uncommon, difficult to farm with heavy competition.

Example Acceptable Rep: The Klaxxi -- Large number of "startup" one-time quests to introduce and increase rep. Average grind starts at honored. Above average number of dailies for low rep rewards each. Optional turn in in the form of Dread Amber Shards. Shards are very difficult to farm - zone drop with extremely small chance. Low rep reward for 20 per turn in. You CAN grind it between dailies, but it's more likely to drive you insane than get you to exalted. Still better than nothing.

Example BAD Rep: The Golden Lotus -- Small number of low-reward dailies. Minimal rep reward with NO OPTION for turn ins. Dailies are the only source of rep for this faction, meaning the only barrier between you and exalted is time -- lots of it. Exalted required to even begin accessing additional rep grinds. Bad, bad, bad rep grind.

Example BAD Rep: The Golden Lotus -- Small number of low-reward dailies. Minimal rep reward with NO OPTION for turn ins. Dailies are the only source of rep for this faction, meaning the only barrier between you and exalted is time -- lots of it. Exalted required to even begin accessing additional rep grinds. Bad, bad, bad rep grind.

Which reps require golden lotus exalted?
Expanding on the Account Wide Reputation idea, why not have any reputation gains occur at a third or quarter of the reputation on your main character transfer to all characters on your account. e.g. 300 rep for Tillers on you character completing the quest, 100 rep gained on all other characters on your account. So by the time your main has hit exalted your alts are already 1/3 of the way to hitting exalted. 2nd character hits exalted all your other characters are almost 50% of the way there (diminishing returns hits in as each character requires less rep, giving less rep spread over your account), and so on...

Which reps require golden lotus exalted?

August celestials and shado pan. I believe.
10/01/2012 02:27 PMPosted by Vail
August celestials and shado pan. I believe.

You need to be Revered with the Golden Lotus, not Exalted.
It's day 6 of the expansion....
10/01/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Sophex

And I won't be revered/exalted with these group until about a month or more from now, since there still remains the celestial/shadopan grind and I'm barely friendly with lotus.
Give us back our dungeon tabards.
People keep saying "You wont be geared instantly! oh no!" like the vp cap never existed.

Breaking news gentlemen. It's had a "lewt cap" since the dawn of its existence. If we're getting too much vp too fast, then lower the weekly cap. I'm personally not doing the rep grind, as i despise dailies and it only negatively effects game play.

I'll throw a couple problem scenarios i'm running into right now, that i'm gonna straight blame the rep gates on.

First one.. is finishing a dungeon.. I'm a tank, coveted for LFG. Not nearly enough of us. Here's the problem i have.. i get instant queues.. i gear up fast.. So now i only need one single drop to finish my heroic gear set. If i kill that boss, there's -no- incentive at all to stay in that group. So i leave. It's not a good thing to do to a group, but i mean really, i'll never see them again, they're not my friends, so i really don't care. Insensitive as that may sound, it's true.

Second one.. I've ninja'd a full heal set while tanking.. Like i stated above, i have one single piece of gear left to get, which will drop eventually. I still wanted to run more dungeons, i do enjoy them. So i decided i'd build a heal set.. Right out from under healers trying to gear their main specs, i take the gear, i might not ever use it.. but it's the only reward i can get..

-edit-
Wanted to add, you should see the rage people unleash when you take their heal gear as a tank. It's completely justified aswell, i feel sorry for them. This is the gearing method blizzard provides however, and i can't feel bad for using the only means available to me.
-/edit-

Third one.. a friend who had just hit 90 asked me if i wanted to do a heroic with him, help him get geared.. I said no.. i have all the gear.. i need to level my professions, because that'll improve this character.. i can't even turn jp into honor yet, so running a heroic with him, while again, a good thing to do, doesn't actually help me.

Now here's the sad part of all this.

I'm rewarded for doing these things.

The quicker i leave a group, the more gear i ninja, the less i help others, the more developed my character becomes.

How can i justify blaming the jp/vp gate on this? Simple. I would have my last piece of gear. I wouldn't need to queue for it, and run to that boss then leave. I would have been able to do full clears with every group i've been in, and bought my healing set from the jp/vp vendors. In fact, i'd buy a second agi set for windwalker enchants/reforges as well. My newly 90 friend who wants to do heroics would been insta-queue'd with me, because i love running heroics, but like every other player in this game, i need to be rewarded for doing so, no matter how minuscule the reward, it needs to exist.

That, is my mentality.

tl;dr Douchebagism is rewarded.
10/01/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Sophex

It's days 6 of the expansion and already people want things nerfed because its "too hard", if u don't like it don't play it.
10/02/2012 03:08 AMPosted by Eukalyptus
It's days 6 of the expansion and already people want things nerfed because its "too hard", if u don't like it don't play it.

Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, people said the same thing at the start of cataclysm. "Don't like it, quit."

How well did that work out for Blizzard?

10/02/2012 03:32 AMPosted by Nery
Least you won't get bored in a couple weeks.

Grinding the same dailies over and over and feeling compelled to login every day just to do those quests is going to burn me out far faster than anything they could have thought up.

I don't play the game for dailies and I won't be able to progress without them. It is a failure model.
10/01/2012 01:52 PMPosted by Bigmountain
is the way they put it I believe.

source please.
If you all had done your rep grind while leveling, it wouldn't be so bad. That means leveling the old fashioned way; Out in the WORLD of Warcraft.