A thankful players response to a CS Response

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 24 Next
Typical PR spin from a blue that skirts the issue to the side. Shocking.

Typical response debasing a logical response and providing no rebuttal, requests, or questions. Why bother?

Because rolling on loot has made no sense this xpac. Please explain how i was unable to roll on a a trinket that had an agi proc.. yet my friend was able too and she was a healer (priest)

That is the problem people are seeing right now.
That is iust like when I was on my rogue one time was doing a Cata instance when an agi trinket drop and it was something I need and come to find out I lost out on the roll against a pally tank. Then the noob talking i about how it's an upgrade to him when that trinket does crap for a pally tank. I use to be nice when it came to passing on something that does have any stats for my character and just going to start doing like everyone else and roll need.
Back to the need/greed system though, it's essentially a limitation in it not being able to determine spec, and our CS department just can't play arbiter for every drop to determine who 'deserves' an item more than someone else. While it can be a frustrating situation, I hope at least that makes sense.

I really recommend reading the following articles. They have a ton of info on why things work the way they do:
  • [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/loot-settings"]Loot Settings[/url]
  • [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/ninja-looting-blizzard-s-stance"]Ninja Looting: Blizzard's Stance[/url]
  • [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/scam-policy"]Scam Policy[/url]

That said, there have been ongoing discussions on at some point revisiting the need/greed system in dungeons. Until such a time and day as the dungeon loot system changes, be well aware that you'll be competing for loot, but if you have the resources - go with friends.

The overall problem here is not this OP's issues over off-spec loot, it's the loot system not understanding classes. For instance, Druids can need on strength items because it does provide them value (1 strength = 1 attack power, rather than 1 agility = 2 attack power, at least in 5.0.4 - can't find clear values since then), even though it is less value than for a plate dps class. A huge weapon upgrade, or a trinket with strength then an on use/proc effect for a valuable secondary stat could be legitimate upgrades to a feral druid for instance. It's annoying, because the gear is not designed for them, but there are those rare cases when the kitty upgrading a 414 green agility trinket to a 463 strength trinket is better than a fury warrior upgrading a 450 trinket to a 463.

There are two things that show the flaw in the loot system: 1) That this often happens in reverse - as a DK I can't need on agility items, even if they were upgrades (not that I would, since it makes you look like a massive baddie), when a Druid could need on strength items over me. Main spec/off spec for pallies rolling on any plate regardless of their spec, for instance, does not concern me. 2) That even though I can't need on potential agility upgrades, I can need on intellect/spirit trinkets/jewellery. This makes absolutely no sense and shows that some tweaks need to be made to make the system more effective.

It would be best if strength were only available to plate wearers, agility only to leather/mail wearers, and spirit be a free for all for healer hybrid classes and int for anyone except warriors, rogues, hunters and DKs (except for plate/mail/leather/cloth specialties). If this can't happen, at least make it impossible for classes to need on things that have absolutely no value to any of their class' specs.
Every single person in this game has had this happen to them but as usual we suck it up and keep trying. Stop crying.
Similarly if you're joining a pickup Raid you're at the mercy of the raid leader, who may hand his buddy a drop for no reason other than to unfairly take items from the raid group. This may not be usable advice for everyone, but: the best way to ensure you get the drops you want, or type of drops, is form a group yourself with friends/guildies you know and trust.

Back to the need/greed system though, it's essentially a limitation in it not being able to determine spec, and our CS department just can't play arbiter for every drop to determine who 'deserves' an item more than someone else. While it can be a frustrating situation, I hope at least that makes sense.

I really recommend reading the following articles. They have a ton of info on why things work the way they do:
  • [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/loot-settings"]Loot Settings[/url]
  • [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/ninja-looting-blizzard-s-stance"]Ninja Looting: Blizzard's Stance[/url]
  • [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/scam-policy"]Scam Policy[/url]

That said, there have been ongoing discussions on at some point revisiting the need/greed system in dungeons. Until such a time and day as the dungeon loot system changes, be well aware that you'll be competing for loot, but if you have the resources - go with friends.

wtb more BAN hammer's to these people who exploit the rules and or break them
It should be noted - STR gives +AP for Druids
So its not a 'useless' stat. Its simply not ideal.
had a druid tank roll need on 4 different trinkets for Coren direbrew in a row and win them all made me giggle as long as blizzard allows need rolls on gear that only a moron would equip for there class then you will have douche nozzles
10/01/2012 05:02 PMPosted by Bashiok
Typical response debasing a logical response and providing no rebuttal, requests, or questions. Why bother?

Yea it's typical but not more typical than Blizzard avoiding questions or giving lack of information on issues. There is obviously a problem with your loot system, it's not a matter of who deserves it more, it's a problem of which class actually uses the stats on the item that drops.

I think I would rather be at the mercy of jerk of raid leader because at least that piece of gear would be going to a class that would be using it, a lot better feeling than knowing your item you have been waiting for is going to be vendor trash.

This has been a problem for a very long time with nothing done about it.
10/01/2012 04:09 PMPosted by Snowfox
Right, they wanted it as an off-spec "need"... and you lost, right?

No Snowfox what he is saying is that a druid should NEVER be able to need on a strength item. Strength is not a main stat for them. Just like the agility staff that dropped earlier that I could need on. WTF is a mage going to do with an agility staff other than DE/vendor it?
I'll say it before, and I'll say it again - my main spec is elemental. Regardless of what I happen to be doing in your 5 man, that's how i'm rolling. Because, if I'm healing your 5 man -then I'm playing my offspec and if a healer trinket drops, you have my complete permission to roll need offspec against me.

I'm sorry you don't want my resto set to be my offspec, since it conveniently supports your loot entitlement. But the reality is, I'm playing this resto offspec to conveniently make the group happen. And, without me and a lot of people like me playing healers and tanks, there'd be a lot less groups and a lot longer queue times.
The OP was correct. It is pure lazy programming to NOT make spec dependent loot rules.
It was solve this whole issue.

No it's not. It's to the benefit of queue times.
Was that Resto Druid being a jerk? Yes. Should he be able to roll on a Strength mace? Yes.

Currently, I'm working on gear sets for Balance PvE, Balance PvP, Resto PvE, Resto PvP, Guardian PvE, Guardian PvP, and Feral PvE. Granted, a lot of those gear sets are going to share some items, but in the situation where I am lunking around a green quality questing polearm and a 2H Mace drops with a significant DPS upgrade then the system should allow for me to roll on it. Whether or not I'm a jerk and roll on it against somebody else's main spec is part of playing an MMO, at least in this case.

Additionally, there are situations (although not nearly as often as they used to occur) where I might have to change spec for just 1 fight in a PUG because the tank/healer left and I need to tank/heal, or, say both leave and I'm playing Boomkin and a Shadow Priest goes heals, the other DPS is a Rogue so I throw on my Guardian set, we get a faster queue... kill the final boss and some Agility leather drops. Should I be able to roll on it? What if one of the DPS that fills our queue is another Boomkin and Intellect leather drops. Should I be able to roll on that?

When it all comes down to it, as a community we just need to foster intelligence, grace, and integrity in dealing with these matters. An upgrade Intellect staff dropped for me yesterday but I already had a decent off-hand (from Archaeology) so I passed on the item because the Mage in the group got a better gain out of it.
I tend not to care, its just a bunch of pixels that will eventually be replaced anyways
Hey, if it's all the same to everyone else, I'd like to be able to roll Need on agility trinkets.

I can do without a plate belt, though.