Discussion: Guild Accountability.

Wyrmrest Accord
Due to a recent rash of events and scenarios ending up where a Guilds officers, Leaders, and even motives have been brought into question before, I present to WrA a Conundrum.

Just what is the proper protocol for Guild Leadership? Should a guild be held responsible for their actions and confronted?

Should a Guild whose practices have become common knowledge as less then acceptable, not be questioned?

Should a situation not be discussed in a means that would reach the Guild in question in an expedient way, such as a thread they themselves make on the Forums?

And then comes the second issue, what I have seen often enough calling this "Someones thread" and we should not speak up and have "Class".

These threads, are on a Public Domain, not owned by a single person here. We are presenting ourselves, and in doing so in a public domain, we are not open to public scrutiny. That is how a Public Domain works, It is Public.

So WrA Guild Leaders, and Officers...what is your thoughts? Do you take accountability for your actions, or do you just throw it up to butt hurt folks who have a grudge?

Note: Statistically speaking, if 50 or so people decide they do not like your guild, there is likely a slice of truth in each persons view, that when pieced together, paints a very ugly picture.
should people really take a videogame this seriously
1) There's no such thing as 'proper protocol' because each guild functions differently and each officer/GM has their own style.

2) Well maybe if the guild did something less than cheery, maybe yeah they should fess up if someone talks to them as a whole.

3) If it's common knowledge, I don't know why anyone would touch the guild.

4) Discussions on these forums rarely go over well and it's usually not the person responsible that makes the thread in the first place. It's usually call-out threads, direct or not.

5) There are still threads that people should have some courtesy about and not sh_t up with aggravated posts. Like guild threads. It's probably better to contact and officer or GM and sit down, calmly, to talk about something. Instead of running into the guild's thread and posting 'oh I know you're X because of Y happening'.

6) Half and half, in all honesty. I always take responsibility for stuff I say, mostly in-game since I'm not a big forum name or anything. Though when I do say anything that might raise brows, I do so as an individual and not as a member of the White Sigil. Despite having the tag under my name. But double responsibility as an officer (even though we're so chill I rarely have to strap on officer-boots) because... well. Self-explanitory. There's no workaround for something you say as an officer to someone talking to you about your guild. Whether they're in it or not.

On the other hand. This is already an 'older' community and it's kind of been settled for a while now. There are a lot of grudges, there's a lot of 'behind the scenes' stuff in the social circles, there's a lot of 'butthurt folks' (sometimes for a good reason or not at all), so on and so forth. Hell, I've been on Wyrmrest since day 1 and I can be a crabby witch too. So when something rubs me the wrong way, I can chalk it to both me being grumpy and/or 'well that's the way the server can be sometimes'.

09/30/2012 04:07 PMPosted by Kamazhi
should people really take a videogame this seriously

vidya gaemz
Liotuse, when KAMAZHI AND LIO GONNA SAY HAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
I think honestly, that there should be some accountability, but sadly, when an entire guild is the problem, there is little that can be done about it. In most cases if a guild has painted that bad of a picture of itself, those who don't want to be tarnished have already left and those who are still there simply don't care about what people think about them.

Confrontation however should always be done in private, or at least away from these forums if it -desperately- needs to become public knowledge. Call out threads on these forums rarely last long, and most often result in many people being banned for trolling.
09/30/2012 04:13 PMPosted by Kamazhi
Liotuse, when KAMAZHI AND LIO GONNA SAY HAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

wait in which MMO.
I don't have Kamazhi in GW2 I have Arkavyn remember

I MEANT WOWZERS
Kiethoo's Rules for Guild Leadership.

Rule #1 : The Word of the Guild Leader is Law.
Rule #2 : See Rule #1 Again.
Rule #3 : Being an Officer just means I will listen to you first, then decide what I will for the Guild.
Rule #4 : There is only one solution to Drama, /Gkick
Rule #5 : To question the Guild Leader is TREASON. The Solution to Mutiny is simple! mass /Gkick

Rule #6 : No one is above the Guild Leader, except for the Guild Leader's girlfriend/wife/lover/ect.
Rule #7 : The Word of the Guild Leader's GF/Wife/Lover/Ect. IS LAW!
Rule #8 : Never show Weakness before Guildmembers, never let lesser member question you in guild chat !
Rule #9 : It is the job of the Officers to SERVE the Guild Leader, not to question him.
Rule #10 : See Rule #1 again.
Kiethoo's Rules for Guild Leadership.

Rule #1 : The Word of the Guild Leader is Law.
Rule #2 : See Rule #1 Again.
Rule #3 : Being an Officer just means I will listen to you first, then decide what I will for the Guild.
Rule #4 : There is only one solution to Drama, /Gkick
Rule #5 : To question the Guild Leader is TREASON. The Solution to Mutiny is simple! mass /Gkick

Rule #6 : No one is above the Guild Leader, except for the Guild Leader's girlfriend/wife/lover/ect.
Rule #7 : The Word of the Guild Leader's GF/Wife/Lover/Ect. IS LAW!
Rule #8 : Never show Weakness before Guildmembers, never let lesser member question you in guild chat !
Rule #9 : It is the job of the Officers to SERVE the Guild Leader, not to question him.
Rule #10 : See Rule #1 again.

Wait you dislike Garrosh?
I don't have Kamazhi in GW2 I have Arkavyn remember

I MEANT WOWZERS

(baby we'll make it happen)
@ Liotuse

Thank you, and for the most part, I agree with all of that. Posting on my monk alt, because Monks.

@Vincentus

We get discussions on god knows what nameless things, and a legit concern is questioned of why it is even a discussion. Fine, answer, because I wished to discuss it, I created the thread so as not to further derail another thread off subject, and it was my desire to use the forums to do so. Answer your question?

@Kamazhi

The concern or seriousness isn't over the game itself, but the actions of real, breathing people to one another. Just because there is an avatar representing the actions, doesn't mean it isn't an actual person with a thought process choosing to do the actions.

@Kiethoo

Well, thats my laugh-and-have-tea-shoot-out-my-nose moment for the day. My kittens grunt and zug zug just tweaked, and the moment was priceless.

Edit: For the right name of the Orc poster >_<
09/30/2012 02:25 PMPosted by Raikys
Just what is the proper protocol for Guild Leadership? Should a guild be held responsible for their actions and confronted?

A guild should be responsible for it's members and members should be respectful toward the wishes and rules of the guild. If members of a guild commit actions that the guild rule would deem undesirable then the guild leader or a higher ranking member should be contacted.

Should a situation not be discussed in a means that would reach the Guild in question in an expedient way, such as a thread they themselves make on the Forums?

I believe the matter should be discussed in private if at all possible.

And then comes the second issue, what I have seen often enough calling this "Someones thread" and we should not speak up and have "Class".

How people conduct themselves on the internet is uncontrollable, if a person desires to appear unsavory then that is their decision.

Do you take accountability for your actions, or do you just throw it up to butt hurt folks who have a grudge?

I will and always have taken full responsibility for my actions on the internet, I try to appear as pleasant as I can in via text because I do not wish to insult someone passively or for there to be a misunderstanding.

First question: Who got under your skin enough to require bringing this up at all?

Second question: Do you realize that only like 5% of WrA actually reads the forums? If you're trying to bring some mass awareness or something to the server, this isn't the way to do it.
|

It seems more like you are the one with someone in mind. Raik seems fairly general about the subject; he might as well be just curious about the server's stance on this.
@ Liotuse

Thank you, and for the most part, I agree with all of that. Posting on my monk alt, because Monks.

@Vincentus

We get discussions on god knows what nameless things, and a legit concern is questioned of why it is even a discussion. Fine, answer, because I wished to discuss it, I created the thread so as not to further derail another thread off subject, and it was my desire to use the forums to do so. Answer your question?

@Kamazhi

The concern or seriousness isn't over the game itself, but the actions of real, breathing people to one another. Just because there is an avatar representing the actions, doesn't mean it isn't an actual person with a thought process choosing to do the actions.

@Thokk

Well, thats my laugh-and-have-tea-shoot-out-my-nose moment for the day. My kittens grunt and zug zug just tweaked, and the moment was priceless.

Very fair! Good point.
Better dealt with in whispers, privately, than publicly in a recruitment thread. Otherwise, wash your hands of them and carry on your merry way. There are people behind the avatars but the truth of the matter is, very few of them can be bothered to give another person a second thought.

Be better, rise above, all that crap.
09/30/2012 04:59 PMPosted by Pyae
@Thokk

Yes?