Why would I make a flask?

Professions
Golden lotus are so rare that up to this point I have found only 4. The golden lotus alone sells for around 500g down from 1500g yet I'm supposed to use this plus herbs to make a flask that last 1 hr???
As a herbalist, you should sell everything you gather on the AH and spend your time gathering herbs that net you the most gold per hour, even if that is not current content.

As an alchemist, you should only make the items whose mats you can buy off of the AH and then turn around and sell the resulting item for more then the mats cost.

Obviously, these are general rules, with leveling experience and skill-ups adjusting the values.
Remember also that you (or anyone else) can trade Spirits of Harmony that you aren't using for other things, 1 SOH gets 3 Lotus.
You shouldnt make flasks but people will so you should time your selling of Lotuses right. Hardcore guilds have started buying up lotuses like crazy to make their own flasks. Lotuses on my server went from 250 all the way back up to 800g because people want them for their raids tomorrow.
10/01/2012 09:03 PMPosted by Almightytall
You shouldnt make flasks but people will so you should time your selling of Lotuses right. Hardcore guilds have started buying up lotuses like crazy to make their own flasks. Lotuses on my server went from 250 all the way back up to 800g because people want them for their raids tomorrow.

i can attest to this, ive spent around 200k on lotus alone, though i didn't buy them at one time to keep the price down.
It's a simple equation really...

IF Cost_Of_Materials_Required > Cost_Of_Flask_Produced THEN Sell_Materials ELSE Sell_Flask
Because once you get the tillers rep you can farm golden lotus.
You can't rely on herbing for lotuses. You have to buy them with Spirits of Harmony. That said, how much are you herbbing? From level 85 to 90 I picked enough flowers to have 7 spirits of harmony. I used them all to buy golden lotuses, and sent all my mats to my alchemist. She's an elixir master, so the procs help, but even without that, I haven't had a problem getting flasks. The only time I bought lotuses was when I needed a transmute 2 gems, and I forgot that was one of the necessary mats.

If you have an herbalist and an alchemist, there's never a reason for you to buy pots or flasks, ever.
I think I have also seen just 4 GL and sent them from my gatherer to my alchemist. Being more interested in leveling than creating something useful at this point (with my most advanced alt (my gatherer) only at 87) I made flasks for the points. They will come in useful at some point in the future anyway.

The information that you can eventually farm Golden Lotus via the Tillers really perked my (long, pointy NE) ears up.
10/02/2012 10:25 AMPosted by Arwenne
From level 85 to 90 I picked enough flowers to have 7 spirits of harmony.

I didn't think motes dropped from gathering nodes.
10/02/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Jozie
From level 85 to 90 I picked enough flowers to have 7 spirits of harmony.

I didn't think motes dropped from gathering nodes.
\

They do. It's not often, though. You have to pick a lot of flowers. I passed up very few herbs while I leveled.
I have gathered about 900 stacks of ghost iron ore since launch and not gotten 1 spirit, is that just herbing them, seems like a huge slap in the face if its only herbs
I guess I got lucky. I found two Golden Lotus nodes on my 86 warrior in the Jade Forest within 10 minutes of each other. Long dry spell before and since though; literally collecting hundreds of herbs with nary a sight.

Plus being earthbound at this point means flyers are going to find most of them before I see them.

Seems like most of the recipes I've discovered for leveling Alchemy require at least one Golden Lotus, guess I'm not going to be making those lol.