One does not simply Alter Time

Mage
How do I use this spell effectively in a PVE environment, both as Arcane and Fire?
i have no idea about arcane, i havent fooled with it much, but i use mine as a setup for my first big combustion... soon as i get my first insta-cast pyro, i hit AT, cast pyro, and with good rng it procs another pyro, then alter time kicks in, and you get a 3rd free pyro... that is a very nice combustion, which means you set the world on fire (3 people at a time).

currently the biggest ignite ive seen using this strat (not counting gimmick fights where you get huge combustions) is around 45k.
Fire, you want to hit it when Combustion is off cooldown and Hot Streak is up. Cast the Pyro. Hit AT again to get another one right away.

Arcane, I think it is used when at 5-6 stacks with AM charges. Fire them off, use AB until your mana returns to full and you get charges back. AM again, clear stacks as normal. I haven't played it, but that would make sense.
hoo boy troll boy, you're lost xD

In arcane you basically want to use alter time when you're at 6 stack and have 2 AM procs. Pop it, use your procs, repop it, use all your procs...rotation as usual.

For fire, they pretty much have it covered.
hoo boy troll boy, you're lost xD

In arcane you basically want to use alter time when you're at 6 stack and have 2 AM procs. Pop it, use your procs, repop it, use all your procs...rotation as usual.

For fire, they pretty much have it covered.

You don't take the opportunity to weave in an essentially free Arcane Blast or two?
Only thing I would add as arcane is after you used your 2 AM charges at 6 stacks , you should Arcane barrage, then reuse Alter Time, and you'll be back at 6 charges with 2 AM procs.

You don't take the opportunity to weave in an essentially free Arcane Blast or two?

No time, without haste AM is a 2 second cast, alter time lasts 4 seconds. Though the other guy's barrage idea is possible.

EDIT: Well nvm, didn't see it got buffed to 6 seconds at some point xP so yea that would be ideal. AM AM AB ABar would be the rotation after activating alter time and that will maximize your time.
i have no idea about arcane, i havent fooled with it much, but i use mine as a setup for my first big combustion... soon as i get my first insta-cast pyro, i hit AT, cast pyro, and with good rng it procs another pyro, then alter time kicks in, and you get a 3rd free pyro... that is a very nice combustion, which means you set the world on fire (3 people at a time).

currently the biggest ignite ive seen using this strat (not counting gimmick fights where you get huge combustions) is around 45k.

this is the only way to use it, this is why i dont even bother in pve, basically 1 in 3 alter times add to dps, the other 2 don't making it an ability that simply is not worth using on cooldown unless it's to save your life (use when tank blinded and mob running at you, use again when 1 hit from death).
I use AT right after i pop Time Warp for 6 extra seconds of TW. I also use it when my macro pops my synapse springs on my gloves for 6 extra seconds of increased int. Also use it when my zen alchemist stone procs for 6 extra seconds of the proc.

Might be interesting combined with spell steal but i have not found any stealable buffs in MOP yet.
Also if you're taking PoM for fire pve, which most of the time you really should, use that also when you have a pyro proc, before hitting AT. So you get a pyro proc, presence of mind > alter time > pyro, pyro (maybe a 3rd pyro depending on luck) > alter time > pyro, pyro > super combust.
10/01/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Nuclea
Also if you're taking PoM for fire pve, which most of the time you really should, use that also when you have a pyro proc, before hitting AT. So you get a pyro proc, presence of mind > alter time > pyro, pyro (maybe a 3rd pyro depending on luck) > alter time > pyro, pyro > super combust.

So If you were lucky you could get 6 pyros in a row. Pyro, PoM pyro, proc Pyro, AT, Pyro, Pom pyro, proc pyro. If you have a potion up you could nearly get 1M damage from the hits alone let alone ignite, combust :OOOOOO
@Recent Posters

How would I do this? So, here's a simple test I tried:

Circle of Power, fireball dummy until Heating Up, then Infernal blast, pop PoM + Alter Time, Then Pyro Twice, alter time, pyro twice, then Combust dot. This only gave me 8-10K damage on my combust. What am I doing wrong?
I hit Alter Time in Scholomance heroic a few seconds before Darkmaster Gandling teleported me away. Much to his suprise one second later i was pyroblasting his face. That has to be the best Alter Time i've cast yet.
10/01/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Nuclea

Upvote Nuclea's post so that more people see it. You also want to try do this during time warp if at all possible.

Frost is actually the hardest to milk AT for all it's worth:

Invocation pre-pull > Mirror Image > Icy Veins + Time Warp > Frost Bomb >
Frost Bolt x3 > (FB Detonates - Brain Freeze) > Frozen Orb (2x FoF procs) >
PoM + pop potion > Alter Time >
Ice Lance x2 > Frostfire bolt x2 (Brainfreeze + PoM) >
Frost Bomb > Ice Lance > Frost Bolt

Alter time resets you to: 2x FoF, PoM, Brain Freeze, and extends Bloodlust, Icy Veins and Invocation by six seconds each and allows you to cast: Frostfire bolt x2 (Brainfreeze + PoM) and Ice Lance x2 (FoF) before resuming normal rotation.

This is pretty hard to get used to but is the most efficient way to start a boss fight as frost.
10/01/2012 10:46 PMPosted by Courrier
I hit Alter Time in Scholomance heroic a few seconds before Darkmaster Gandling teleported me away. Much to his suprise one second later i was pyroblasting his face. That has to be the best Alter Time i've cast yet.

That's a great use of alter time! We need an AT tips and tricks sticky.
10/01/2012 03:23 PMPosted by Nocternus
I use AT right after i pop Time Warp for 6 extra seconds of TW. I also use it when my macro pops my synapse springs on my gloves for 6 extra seconds of increased int.

This. I pop as many buff CD's as I can then slam on Alter Time. You can even time things to line up with things such as the tailoring proc. This includes Presence of Mind which can also be used for an insta-rune if that talent applies to you.

There's also the position change. That means if you're soloing something, you can pull a walock move and teleport back to the other end of the room. Also useful in Scenarios where there's no tank and you can't seem to shake aggro. Combined with blink and rooting skills, nothing should ever touch you.
10/01/2012 04:45 AMPosted by Cryostasis
How do I use this spell effectively in a PVE environment, both as Arcane and Fire?

You don't. The spell can only be used efficently for arcane mages. It's used so any mana used up will be restored after it pops. Frost and fire have little to no mana concerns.

Other than that, the spell is useless for pve. Healers will heal you if you take damage wheither alter time is active or not. So its a waste of time to try to use the spell to restore any life lost. For that feature, you need to use it in pvp.

Alter time is really a pvp or soloing spell
You don't. The spell can only be used efficently for arcane mages. It's used so any mana used up will be restored after it pops. Frost and fire have little to no mana concerns.

Other than that, the spell is useless for pve. Healers will heal you if you take damage wheither alter time is active or not. So its a waste of time to try to use the spell to restore any life lost. For that feature, you need to use it in pvp.

Alter time is really a pvp or soloing spell

Correct, except the part where none of it is true. Alter Time has great PvE use, for more than just DPS increases and health restores.
10/01/2012 04:45 AMPosted by Cryostasis

I personally am unsure how to most effectively use it in pve although I would say for fire the most logical sense would be with a hot streak up to get two for one.

For Arcane the spell is really dodgy since it has little to no value it feels, or maybe I'm playing Arcane wrong. What I do is at the start, ABx8 (should be 140k mana or so) full evo, Arcane blast once to refresh charges, Arcane Power, Synapse Springs and Arcane Blast Three times, Alter Time, cast arcane blast twice, revert should happen, cast two more, dump missiles if possible (should be at 100-140k mana again), Evo to full and practice an ABx5, Evo cycle while keeping six stacks of charge. The problem with this though is that you NEED to use something to refresh stacks almost immediately at the gear level we're in to make the most out of the zerg tactic. And if your spell misses, you lose all six stacks and your dps drops for a bit.

Although for Arcane given the strength of missiles and mana cost (What mana cost?) it'd probably be best to have six stacks of charge and two stacks of missiles, that way you can get off both missiles hopefully before the revert. You could also very possibly use ONE missile, and barrage off the six stacks and on the revert have the missile and six stack back, dump both missiles. All how you manage.
10/01/2012 10:46 PMPosted by Courrier

Did this last night. It was awesome.