Need help with scroll wheel macro

UI and Macro
I have a dilema that I can't figure out.

I like to use modifier keys + scroll up or down as various keybindings.

I am trying to reduce the over all quantity of keys on my UI by utilizing modifier macros that turn a single action bar button into mutliple difficult abilities depending on the modifier key held down.

Here is my problem:

I would like to create a macro that allows me to, for example:

Alt+ Scroll up = Sprint

Shift + Scroll up = Shadow Step

But herein is the problem...

It would seem that in order for a macro to function (at least, within my understanding) it has to have to place it in an action bar, wherein it is assigned a keybinding to activate it in the first place.

For example:

You put a macro on an action bar button assigned to keyboard button Q. The macro has a modifier on it to change to a different ability when you press alt, so that when you press alt + Q, you get a different ability.

My point is, you have to have a "default" button for the modifier key macro to work. I could not (once again, to the best of my knowledge about macros and I hope I am wrong) make a macro where by pressing alt + Q, or shift + Q does something, but pressing just Q alone, does nothing.

And this pertains to my problem.

I have scroll up and down set to zoom, as I am sure most people do. I don't want to change this.

TL;DR: How do I make a macro that allows me to use modifier keys + mouse scroll, without having to unbind the camera zoom function?

It would seem that in order for a macro to function (at least, within my understanding) it has to have to place it in an action bar, wherein it is assigned a keybinding to activate it in the first place.

No, that's just the easiest way.

/run SetBindingSpell("SHIFT-MOUSEWHEELUP", "SHADOWSTEP") SaveBindings(GetCurrentBindingSet())

Copy and pasting this into your chat window will bind shadowstep to shift+mousewheelup

09/30/2012 08:39 AMPosted by Bludwerk
My point is, you have to have a "default" button for the modifier key macro to work. I could not (once again, to the best of my knowledge about macros and I hope I am wrong) make a macro where by pressing alt + Q, or shift + Q does something, but pressing just Q alone, does nothing.

No...I have no idea why you thought that. You can bind to modifier+button until the cows come home, on action bars, on skills, on commands, on anything. You aren't required to have the base button bound to anything at all. It's only a problem if you're using modifier conditions in your macro because modifiers will be used and consumed by keybinds first, before being used in the macro conditions.
Maybe try the addon Clique. You can have sets of separate mouse binds for enemy/friendly/target/no target, etc and just bind them to abilities in the spell book quickly or trigger custom macros. So your example you could just do by binding Shift+MouseUP to whatever ability you want, and leave the default mouse bind to zoom. If you want to use trinkets or whatever also you bind it to a custom macro and do something like

/use [mod:shift] 13
/use [mod:shift] Shadowstep

No, that's just the easiest way.

/run SetBindingSpell("SHIFT-MOUSEWHEELUP", "SHADOWSTEP") SaveBindings(GetCurrentBindingSet())

Copy and pasting this into your chat window will bind shadowstep to shift+mousewheelup

09/30/2012 08:39 AMPosted by Bludwerk

No...I have no idea why you thought that. You can bind to modifier+button until the cows come home, on action bars, on skills, on commands, on anything. You aren't required to have the base button bound to anything at all. It's only a problem if you're using modifier conditions in your macro because modifiers will be used and consumed by keybinds first, before being used in the macro conditions.

Oh okay, SetBindingSpell as a command to bind keys to abilities directly. I was looking for some kind of explanation like that. I understand how to make it work now, thanks.
I would like to know how set a Attack for example Kindey Shot to a Scroll Up on my mouse and help>?