Rare Spawn Pet Guides - Where & When & Bugs

Pet Battles

I mean like when i battle a random wild Pet a Devouring Maggot is second or third pet behind him.
Haven't noticed them in the wild in General, only when i pick a fight and two others join, they seem to pop then quite a bit.

Yes, that's a secondary! A secondary is a pet that appears as a 'joining' pet apart from the original mob you fought -- like, how clicking on a spider, the spider is the first pet you fight. The skunk that joins him to back him up is the secondary.

The devouring maggots cannot be found as primaries, they have no clickable mob to begin a battle with. You have to random battle creatures and hope one shows up. That's what the secondary list is for.

Ok, i'll fly back over there and get info and bring it back.
Snowy Owl

Definitely is not there. If it is only during feast, that is lame and blizz should change that.

Minfernal

Caught my rare one right after the server was restarted. Once they were gone, they were gone.

Scourged Whelpling

Caught an uncommon right after server restart. After they were battled, they were all gone.

Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling

Caught one right after server restart but there were only like 5 total and all got gobbled up by people rather fast. Once gone, thats it.

Twilight Fiendling

Bugs when you get near it and vanishes but you can still catch one if you get lucky at the very small scar to the north west of the huge scar where many are bugging.

I have caught rares off of secondaries but anytime I capture a secondary it does not count towards the safari achieves. Also the pets you train for each race (like the Golden Dragonhawk) are not registering for safari either.
Snowy Owl

Definitely is not there. If it is only during feast, that is lame and blizz should change that.

Minfernal

Caught my rare one right after the server was restarted. Once they were gone, they were gone.

Scourged Whelpling

Caught an uncommon right after server restart. After they were battled, they were all gone.

Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling

Caught one right after server restart but there were only like 5 total and all got gobbled up by people rather fast. Once gone, thats it.

Twilight Fiendling

Bugs when you get near it and vanishes but you can still catch one if you get lucky at the very small scar to the north west of the huge scar where many are bugging.

I have caught rares off of secondaries but anytime I capture a secondary it does not count towards the safari achieves. Also the pets you train for each race (like the Golden Dragonhawk) are not registering for safari either.

The Wildhammers are actually fairly common as secondaries (found quite a few when farming Twilight Fiendlings) and the bug near the Breach for the fiendlings is a phasing issue -- if you've done the quest where you fly up and deal with the elemental lord up there, you can't see any. There's loads for me on the character that hasn't done any Twilight Highlands quests, though the respawn rate for Fiendlings is poor. The Dragonhawk and EK Safari glitch is known, and very unfortunate.
Might need to qualify what you are calling a rare spawn pet, or give a list. For example, molten hatchlings are rarish, unique to burning steps but can be secondaries to themselves. Just very rarely. Same with the darkshore snails.
10/04/2012 03:32 PMPosted by Vhale
Might need to qualify what you are calling a rare spawn pet, or give a list. For example, molten hatchlings are rarish, unique to burning steps but can be secondaries to themselves. Just very rarely. Same with the darkshore snails.

All 'rare spawn' pets listed cannot be found as secondaries, same with the weather-dependent pets. The secondary list is for truly hard to find mobs (and said as such on wowhead), or mobs that don't exist and can ONLY be found as secondaries. The two you mentioned may sometimes be scarce in mob, but they are always findable from my experience.
Just want to add that sometimes the restless shadeling's don't spawn at all, I think it's a bug.
Also wanted to note: the the Giraffe Calf (A pretty good rare spawn) seems to spawn most with barren giraffe packs and not the regular lone giraffes in Southern Barrens and can be killed by the lions spread out around the zone making them even rarer >.>. I've only ever found one.

Infested Bear Cub spawns with the infested bears, so killing those can help them spawn quicker.

Those two are actually quite rare, although not as hard as some of the other ones.
10/04/2012 03:32 PMPosted by Vhale

By rare I mean a blue pet with high stats. Like a Crimson Moth. My bad on the double usage of rare lol.

10/04/2012 08:53 PMPosted by Majesty
Just want to add that sometimes the restless shadeling's don't spawn at all, I think it's a bug.

I thought that too one night but ther server time was actually still only 11, even tho it was 12 and ther server has the same time as my local time. Just make sure its server time 12.
What's "the rare finding addon"? I can't seem to find anything particularly good outside of manually adding critters to NPCscan.
Or, are you just referring to an addon that immediately shows the quality of pets? That wouldn't make much sense considering the topic...
What's "the rare finding addon"? I can't seem to find anything particularly good outside of manually adding critters to NPCscan.
Or, are you just referring to an addon that immediately shows the quality of pets? That wouldn't make much sense considering the topic...

There's two addons you can use. One is PetBattleCount, that will show you when you mouse-over a wild pet (either right in front of you or the green paw on the mini-map) if you've caught the pet previously and if you have, what rarity it is.

The other would be PetBattleQualityGlow, that shows you pet quality as a colored ring around a wild pet's portrait when you battle. There's also a macro that will do this.

However, there is no addon (nor probably will there ever be) where you mouse-over a wild pet and you know the quality of that wild pet. To do so would take a lot of the hunting and gathering out of the game.
10/03/2012 02:57 PMPosted by Ansawa
I've just been told by somebody who made a ticket about it that Snowy Owls only spawn during the Feast of Winter Veil. It's not just "winter"--it's only that one week.

I wonder if that means the Qiraji Gaurdling will be the same and spawn only during Midummer Fire Festival...right now it just says "Summer", much like the Snowy Owl says "Winter". Guess we'll find out next year. >_>
10/09/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Nkishi
I've just been told by somebody who made a ticket about it that Snowy Owls only spawn during the Feast of Winter Veil. It's not just "winter"--it's only that one week.

I wonder if that means the Qiraji Gaurdling will be the same and spawn only during Midummer Fire Festival...right now it just says "Summer", much like the Snowy Owl says "Winter". Guess we'll find out next year. >_>

Yes, it's a summer only pet, only spawns during sandstorms.
I actually caught the Snowy Owl today (yes I know its a month and a half after the last post but felt this was worth an update) on my EU account so chances are that 'winter' did not start in game until after halloween ended. Summer may only refer to the months of june/july but won't know for sure until that time of year rolls around.
The guardling spawns in summer, it has nothing to do with Sandstorms.

You're thinking of silithid hatchlings.

Snowy Owl

It's not there. No one has found its spawn, nor in the beta, it's highly likely Blizzard hasn't placed it in game yet. His sister in AQ isn't there either yet.

EDIT: It's tentatively reported that this critter only appears during the Feast of Wintersveil.

Umm...it says right in the description, it only appears in Winter, which it's only fall now

Snowy Owl

It's not there. No one has found its spawn, nor in the beta, it's highly likely Blizzard hasn't placed it in game yet. His sister in AQ isn't there either yet.

EDIT: It's tentatively reported that this critter only appears during the Feast of Wintersveil.

Umm...it says right in the description, it only appears in Winter, which it's only fall now

The Snowy Owl started coming out on November 1st. This guide was written before that date. According to Blizzard, it is now winter.
I found ONE snowy owl yesterday. However, it was a poor quality. It was in winterspring down by the the giants. Hope that helps someone.
I caught a snowy owl it doesnt have to be during the feast of winter veil. I caught it just the other day. And it says season:winter, just so you know, but it was qutie hard to get a fix on it cause it moves fast.
02/01/2013 04:00 AMPosted by Phoenixnite
I caught a snowy owl it doesnt have to be during the feast of winter veil. I caught it just the other day. And it says season:winter, just so you know, but it was qutie hard to get a fix on it cause it moves fast.

First off: This thread was last posted on in November.

Anyway, the point the OP was making was that WoW "winter" starts September 23, as you will notice with catching Winter Squid. However, MoP came out September 25, so Snowy Owls should have been available at that time, if we comply with when "winter" is in the game.