What's next for the Blood Elves?

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
If Theron can't capture the confidence evident in everyone in Eversong, he doesn't deserve to stand in the Throneroom of Silvermoon.

In the past I've suggested a female Sunstrider be found somehow. He can marry her, and then he's King with a Queen. As King, he can go lead the battles on the front lines as he's comfortable doing and become a more prominent leader for the Sin'dorei without risking the future of the Kingdom, since his Queen would remain safe in Quel'thalas. If she is a crafty politician and can properly represent the Blood Elves in the Horde, they complete one another. All the better if she -is- one of those magic absorbing types who will rain fiery hell down upon those who dare stand against the Sin'dorei.

If Theron dies in the line of battle, she can re-marry. It provides an excellent safety anchor. Personally, I'd hope to see the Blood Elves decide to take on the ideology that the power of the Sunwell is fine, but more power is always better.

I want to see a highway built over the Deadscar, connecting Quel'thalas to Quel'danil, covering over the Deadscar to prove they've moved on from that point of their history. I'd like to see Warlocks actually take a greater presence amongst the Sin'dorei, perhaps a specific warlock group that also employs Demon Hunters as a form of private police loyal to the Queen and their High Warlock. We know Blood Elves were adept Demon Hunters. If one survived the Black Temple, you have the grounds for more to come.

It'd also be nice if the King and Queen forced the Spellbreakers to train new generations as an elite guard to protect the Homelands. Their powerful abilities and intense physical skills should become a point of contention in the Horde; the King and Queen refuse to have them leave Quel'thalas, for their fear it would leave the Kingdom too exposed to danger, even though they could arguably be of immense value to other lands. It'd be good to see the Horde acknowledge the Blood Elves having a pretty significant asset.

As far as the Ghostlands go, although I'm a proponent for Blood Elf Druids, if we're moving down the power-ambitious path, I'd rather see the Blood Elves' Paladins and Priests cleanse those lands using the Sunwell's power. If the Reliquary could help in all this using some of the artifacts they've uncovered, awesome. Actually, I'd like to see them put in charge of Constructs, see that field become broadened; Combat-Class Constructs, Labor-Class Constructs, Guardian-Class Constructs... Labor-Class Constructs would be their peasants; building and repairing settlements. A little use of phasing and the different ruined villages of the Ghostlands could be worked on by those constructs and then repaired and inhabited.

Now, this I can agree with. I don't totally think a queen is necessary, but it could be very interesting. (But seriously, no random Sunstriders popping out of the ether, please.)
Now, this I can agree with. I don't totally think a queen is necessary, but it could be very interesting. (But seriously, no random Sunstriders popping out of the ether, please.)

They'd only be random because they haven't existed in the medium prior to this in mass knowledge. Even if you decide to rule out Eldin Sunstrider, you still have Prince Nallorath, who is canon, and a Prince of Quel'thas as of 2,600 years ago, and therefore was a Prince during the time Anasterin Sunstrider ruled, since he ruled at least 3,000 years before the First War.

This could theoretically place him as Kael'thas' brother... or Uncle, if the Title of Prince was not lost until the current King had a male heir. In either case, Nallorath's fate remains unknown, as does any possible offspring he may have had.
Warlocks, Demon Hunters, and Spellbreakers oh my! XD I'd love to see what you suggested about them.
Warlocks? As to separate them from, say, the Magisters rather than just incorporating them into such? Well to be blunt, I wouldn't mind seeing the Magister's role change from an organization of spellcasters to expand and incorporate an influence on cultural heritage and judicial affairs. Grant them the power to intermediate disputes on behalf of the crown, with a select few individuals having been granted the power to do so directly by the King and Queen.

From there, I would like to see Sin'dorei Warlocks defined by their practical employment in situations of a more hostile nature. Aside from a single Warlock being able to summon a small cadre of demons to act as independent units under their command, their use for transporting troops en-mass and spying would be invaluable. Likewise, it'd be interesting to see them forge a focus based on the Reliquary, namely that they seek out new demons to control and manipulate; imagine if the Blood Elven Warlock managed to capture and bind a Tothreziem. True those demons only existed in the RPGs, but they were noted at the Legion's most skilled crafters and mechanics. The practical applications for the knowledge and power new demons can provide the Sin'dorei would be limitless.

As for the Demon Hunters, although a part of the Warlocks as an organization, they act more as a type of secret police whose loyalty rests strictly with the Queen and King, rather than the state. Their duty would be to eliminate threats and traitors from within society, as well as the Horde at large. Officially their task would be to prevent a second Kael'thas. Unofficially, their task would be to prevent a second Garrosh. Players who make Blood Elven rogues would be able to join this organization and purchase war glaives, blindfolds, kilts, and tatooes to act as chest, glove, and shoulder pieces, as well as take on a few class-based quests to hunt down rogue or corrupted warlocks or even forces within the Horde that would try to undermine the Blood Elves' position within it.
Ah, forgot Spellbreakers. Their key role would be as an Elite force among the Sin'dorei. You know how the Orcs have the Kor'kron? That's what the Spellbreakers are for the Blood Elves. Although numerically small in number, a single Spellbreaker's skills and powers would be enough to dispatch ten foes with relative ease, you know, the same type of rumors and such you hear about groups like the Kor'kron. Their primary work in the Sin'dorei lands would be to protect those lands and settlements. You might see one or more Spellbreakers at a village or settlement, or in a battle you'd see them single-handedly holding back an onslaught of foes.
10/03/2012 02:24 PMPosted by Elenie

They'd only be random because they haven't existed in the medium prior to this in mass knowledge. Even if you decide to rule out Eldin Sunstrider, you still have Prince Nallorath, who is canon, and a Prince of Quel'thas as of 2,600 years ago, and therefore was a Prince during the time Anasterin Sunstrider ruled, since he ruled at least 3,000 years before the First War.

This could theoretically place him as Kael'thas' brother... or Uncle, if the Title of Prince was not lost until the current King had a male heir. In either case, Nallorath's fate remains unknown, as does any possible offspring he may have had.

The thing is, it's canon lore that Kael'thas was the last living Sunstrider after the Sunwell was corrupted.
10/03/2012 03:39 PMPosted by Kynrind
The thing is, it's canon lore that Kael'thas was the last living Sunstrider after the Sunwell was corrupted.

Stated by NPCs, I believe. The only time I saw that on the wiki, it states him as the last, 'Scion,' of the Sunstriders. In other words, the youngest member of that bloodline. That wouldn't exclude him from being the only member.

Stated by NPCs, I believe. The only time I saw that on the wiki, it states him as the last, 'Scion,' of the Sunstriders. In other words, the youngest member of that bloodline. That wouldn't exclude him from being the only member.

Those NPCs would be the ones who would know best. They knew all of the Sunstriders and it would be extremely suspicious for any living ones to have stayed hidden for so long. It's been ten years. That's a long time for any 'heir' to hide.

The 'last scion' also means the last one alive. Meaning every other Sunstrider is dead.
Those NPCs would be the ones who would know best. They knew all of the Sunstriders and it would be extremely suspicious for any living ones to have stayed hidden for so long. It's been ten years. That's a long time for any 'heir' to hide.

The 'last scion' also means the last one alive. Meaning every other Sunstrider is dead.

No NPC's knowledge is infallible. I will only say that.

Scion, means descendant. Kael'thas is the last Descendant, not the last, 'member,' of the Bloodline. For all we know, that means he's the last person to bear Sunstrider as his surname. It make be someone carries Sunstrider blood, under a different name now. If a Sunstrider woman were to be found and marry Lor'themar, the Dynasty would still end, and Kael'thas would still be its last scion, for the next child born to rule would be a Theron, and the Theron dynasty would begin from the old; assuming Blood Elves remain a patriarchal society.
It would still be reaching backwards rather than forwards, who needs monarchy when you can have meritocracy?
10/03/2012 05:34 PMPosted by Skytotem
It would still be reaching backwards rather than forwards, who needs monarchy when you can have meritocracy?

Who needs a meritocracy when you have a monarchy?

Honestly, here's my stance on it... We see a large number of different governmental forms in this game. Dwarves give us a type of Council setting now. Sylvanas a Tyrrany. Tyrande a Theocracy. Vol'jin and Baine, Oligarchies. Gnomes and Goblins have a democratic system of elections, even if the Goblin's are rigged depending on who has the most money.

In short, you'll find the Horde and the Alliance both have various forms of government, sometimes unique from one another, and sometimes the same government but ruled differently. Stormwind is, at this point, the only monarchy with a monarch on the throne, and it has a fairly egalitarian approach to things. The Citizens of Stormwind enjoy a wide degree of personal freedoms and securities.

I'd rather see the sole other functioning monarchy at this time -remain- as such; Quel'thalas. Of course, if its the same as Stormwind, that's just boring and makes one wonder, why are the Blood Elves still with the Horde when they have far more in common with the Alliance. A Monarchy with an iron-fist set of laws and culture would definitely separate the two, and even match the Horde culture to a degree.

I don't see why people seem to dislike Monarchies so much to be honest. They're out-dated in our world, replaced by Constitutional Monarchies, Democracies, etc... but in a fantasy setting, especially on Azeroth, they're a staple. The Eastern Kingdoms was once full of Monarchies, and now its down to 2 active, known ones, only 1 of which has an actual monarch.
I take issue with the idea of going back to a monarchy after leaving it, not with monarchies in and of themselves ( did you see that other 'oh monarchies are so anti-freedom durrhurr' post the other day? That was horrible)
10/03/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Skytotem
I take issue with the idea of going back to a monarchy after leaving it, not with monarchies in and of themselves ( did you see that other 'oh monarchies are so anti-freedom durrhurr' post the other day? That was horrible)

Actually, I didn't see it.

The thing is, Quel'thalas is still a Monarchy. Kael'thas never claimed the title of King, however, he never dissolved it or Quel'thalas as a Kingdom to establish some other form of government. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a point for Halduron or Rommath to have suggested to Lor'themar to become King.

In short, a living person with Sunstrider blood doesn't suddenly reverse any development the Blood Elves had, it deepens it. If handled properly, it even enables Lor'themar to remain a leader, while finally being free to do what he does best, and do it well.

I just don't see a reason for the Blood Elves to change government at this point.
10/03/2012 06:06 PMPosted by Elenie
In short, a living person with Sunstrider blood doesn't suddenly reverse any development the Blood Elves had, it deepens it.

How?

How does having some character we've never heard of before and don't care about pop in to let Lor'themar, a guy we don't like much to begin with, get back on the battlefield, deepen anything?

A character should never be introduced solely to solve a perceived problem, that's weak writing.
10/03/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Skytotem
In short, a living person with Sunstrider blood doesn't suddenly reverse any development the Blood Elves had, it deepens it.

How?

How does having some character we've never heard of before and don't care about pop in to let Lor'themar, a guy we don't like much to begin with, get back on the battlefield, deepen anything?

A character should never be introduced solely to solve a perceived problem, that's weak writing.

Typically, I agree with you, however, when an heir comes to a throne after so long, it is usually precisely to do just that; solve a problem. Of course, its written as solving a problem of society. For someone with Sunstrider blood in their veins to be discovered provides a legitimate claim to the throne of Quel'thalas. This opens up a potential not before considered, and helps drag the Sin'dorei out of their stupor since Kael's betrayal.

I've seen people argue that they like Lor'themar and want to see him developed and remain a leader, and I've seen people say they'd rather see anyone rule other than him. The concept not only provides a middle ground in which the Blood Elves gain a new leader, they also lose none in the process, but give Lor'themar the chance to shine where he does so. In the process a strong leader for politics can come forward and represent the Blood Elves to the Horde.

Believe it or not, many Horde cultures positively embrace heritage when it comes to leadership. When Cairne died, it wasn't Magatha or Runetotem who became the next High Chief, it was his son. When Vol'jin's father died, it was Vol'jin who became chief of the Darkspear. When Thrall stepped down from Warchief, the people embraced Garrosh, son of the Hero Grom, who himself was a Hero of Northrend.

If a Queen of Quel'thalas appears and weds its current ruler, they will bear the blood of the kingdom Kael'thas lifted from ashes and made into a powerful force. By demonstrating that same power, both politically and magically, a strong figure able to represent the Blood Elves' interests in the Horde can make decisions, while Quel'thalas' king can represent it on the field of battle as the superb combatant he is.

The Horde seems to respect bloodlines, but also strength. A ruling King and Queen have the potential to demonstrate both to the Horde, and properly take their place as members, rather than as sub-members as they have been treated.
I'd settle for a duel between Jaina and Rommath. Jaina would get stomped on.
all this discussion does is make me realize how blizz just ruined kael'thas one of my favorite WC3 "heroes"
Elenie, you have again provided fantastic ideas, specfically that of a queen. If a queen could be found she could allow us to keep Lor'Themar, a brilliant military tactician, and give us a cut-throat, politically savage, power hungry !@#$%. Essentially a Sylvanas without the self-pity and whole 'husk of former self' deal. I also advocate having more female leaders. She could have a softer side for Lor'Themar and her people that the Elves could come to love as well. I also think that it would be nice to have a race with two leaders for once. Unified in marriage but two different people, that isn't really represented outside of the Kaldorei, and Malfurion is more concerned with the Cenaurions.

The return of the Spellbreakers would be fantastic. I agree it would create some conflict within the Horde if the Elves had an elite fighting force that they kept to themselves.

Blood Elf druids? That's beyond wrong lol. Not a fit with any of the lore from the very beginning, and that would just be creepy.

As for Warlocks, it's an interesting situation. I'm frankly surprised they are so accepted in Sin'dorei culture, considering everything that they went through with the Legion, culminating in the corruption of Kael'Thas that made all of this necessary. However you can also make an argument that the warlocks hunger for power is the very embodiment of the blood elven spirit. Honestly I don't care what blizzard does with them, I just don't think they should be elevated in the society, leave them on the fringes, though Sin'dorei warlocks could be accepted more than most other races. And I think them working with the Demon Hunters is brilliant, although I don't believe they should be playable or joinable in game.

All of this gives a lot of power to the blood elves and majesty to them and their lands, but I think that's fitting. They are widely known as the most powerful of magic users and strong on the battlefield, with a long and magnificent heritage. They aren't righteous, and it should be demonstrated that they don't need to be.
Elenie, one question.

Would it be a crime from them to ELECT a queen? From one of the noble families? Some beautiful and intelligent magi with a sharp wit and an overwhelming desire to help her people? So much so that she goes out seeking the support of powerful Elves in Silvermoon to help her reach a position where she can fight in their corner and slap the other Horde leaders into opening their eyes and seeing exactly who the Blood Elves are and what they are capable of? It's a bit less have-wavy than another Sunstrider, and it opens up opportunity for *shock gasp* actual plot development for leveling Blood Elves. Which as well all know, they need as much as all the non-WCI races.

Thoughts?

PS. I love the idea of Lor'themar going out in the field and getting all General Patton on somebody. Use his tactical brilliance to utterly astonish and confound his Orc counterparts to the point where they all get together in a scrum and start whispering things to the effect of "I didn't even think of THAT" and "Geez he made us all look like pirates" and even Garrosh has to respect his methods. Until he masterminds the attack on Ogrimmar and utterly stymies any and all resistance with a small, elite unit of Silvermoon Special Forces.

Hell, the two of them could perhaps convince The Alliance to follow his advice and help co-ordinate with them to really kick Garrosh in his rectum. Because they are most likely to trust a Blood Elf general if anyone in the Horde.

EDIT: Added stuff. :)
Hopefully, they go mech and released a Horde Fel Reaver on Darnassus.
That shoots Devilsaurs as missles.

And is pulled by chariot of whale sharks to get there.