Martial Arts

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 Next
Hi there, I have been studying martial arts for 34 years now and hold a Rokudan (6th Dan Black Belt) in Shobu Aiki JuJutsu. My Father was an instructor and I have been involved in it all my life. I fought professionally for a while under the MMA banner and have studied Brazilian JiuJitsu, Karate and other forms of self defence.

I made it my life and profession for a long time and have taught Police and other organisations in the past. I used to own 3 dojo locations but shut down a few years ago due to injuries and other interests.

I have not trained in the last 5 years but have been seriously thinking about getting involved in something again.

I think that it is great to see so many people involved here, there is nothing like it for me!

Turtle
10/03/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Sandninjer
in Ninjutsu, there are no laws, no rules, anything goes. Your techniques are made strictly to kill.

this sums up ninjas. no more no less. there is no form no style and no discipline. its all about efficiency, speed and stealth.

if you do research the first ninjas were farmers who were tired of being treated like slaves. they employed the used of available tools as weapons and made ambushing/killing of into an art.
in Ninjutsu, there are no laws, no rules, anything goes. Your techniques are made strictly to kill.

this sums up ninjas. no more no less. there is no form no style and no discipline. its all about efficiency, speed and stealth.

if you do research the first ninjas were farmers who were tired of being treated like slaves. they employed the used of available tools as weapons and made ambushing/killing of into an art.

What is it with these crazy theories about ninjutsu lol? Bro, ninjutsu is almost entirely discipline. Do you know what ninpo is? I'm not sure if the context you used "discipline" in was wrong or intended, but the main philosophy of ninjutsu/ninpo is "to release the inner light of the body into a world of darkness". The part about the farmers is entirely correct. But your verbiage is a bit off. They weren't treated like slaves just for practicing ninjutsu. When emperor Nobunaga came in and conquered the Koga and Iga provinces, the people developed stealth and guerilla tactics to fight back. The people who were treated like slaves were mostly the farmers and it was them who decided to fight back.

Hi there, I have been studying martial arts for 34 years now and hold a Rokudan (6th Dan Black Belt) in Shobu Aiki JuJutsu. My Father was an instructor and I have been involved in it all my life. I fought professionally for a while under the MMA banner and have studied Brazilian JiuJitsu, Karate and other forms of self defence.

I made it my life and profession for a long time and have taught Police and other organisations in the past. I used to own 3 dojo locations but shut down a few years ago due to injuries and other interests.

I have not trained in the last 5 years but have been seriously thinking about getting involved in something again.

I think that it is great to see so many people involved here, there is nothing like it for me!

Turtle

Wow 34 years! It's an honor to have you posting in my thread. My previous class, a man who has been studying Isshin Ryu Okinawan Karate for 30 years just started at my ninjutsu/ninpo school. He is coming from a couple hours away once a week now.
Wrestling, BJJ,Judo. Thinking about taking some Krav Maga given the state of the nation/world.
10/07/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Smokingmanaj
Wrestling, BJJ,Judo. Thinking about taking some Krav Maga given the state of the nation/world.

Those tend to be the most commonly practical MAs of today. Good choices.
10/05/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Kaltonis
Martial arts are crazy fun, I recommend them to everyone! Video games too of course. :)

Absolutely. Plus from a professional perspective, it looks great when you can tell your boss you're involved in some kind of activities aside from work. Even a bigger plus when it's for physical conditioning. I work for JP Morgan Chase and I can tell you that most bosses value a balanced life a lot since it heavily affects your personality at work as well as the quality of what you do.
i study 7 star praying mantis kung fu and yang style taijiquan. been a student for about 2 years, recently stopped due to a new job conflicting with school hours but by no means plan on giving it up. love kung fu, and was very excited to see martial arts in this expansion.
Old redneck here in 1985 i started learning the famed "kick to the jewels slap to face style" it has been a non stop learning process ...maybe it is how i approach women in the bar that gets me it though.......
10/07/2012 12:00 PMPosted by Loosekitty
Old redneck here in 1985 i started learning the famed "kick to the jewels slap to face style" it has been a non stop learning process ...maybe it is how i approach women in the bar that gets me it though.......

Hey well whatever gets your opponent to the ground I suppose
Im 14 and i train brazilain jiu jitsu,muay thai,kickboxing,jodo and wrestling because of my age i can only compete in brazilian jim jitsu (I'm in australia)
i've learned many forms but kempo is my favorite and the most devistating of all i've learned and have seen... and for thoes who want to try martial arts... if a karate dojo teaches you to walk away do just that... walk away from them and go to another dojo that will actually teach you self defense... sparring is a must... with out sparring it would be like learning to write and not writing for years... then one day you are asked to write a book...
Seen Bruce Lee compete when I was a child. Got Bruce Lee and Chuck's autograph. Got some Judo training in the military and Sat. afternoon Kung Fu Theater on TV. Thats all my skills! lol
I was in judo from about 6 until i was 20. Thankfully my parents picked a dojo that wasnt of the mcdojo variety. I really enjoyed it and went to just about every tournament a year i could in my province. I have what amounts to a crate of tropheys and medals from all the events from the south of my province. all the way up to the north but even more good memories. Judo is a great martial art that really emphasizes defensive control of your attacker without having to by physically stronger or bigger then them.

Not for the faint of heart though, half the practice was learning to fall correctly when thrown so you didn't break your everything! The other half was throwing others trying to break there everything.

Edit: Forgot to mention some major injuries caught up with me and cut my training just shortly after getting my black belt. ID love to go back but my knees probably wont let me.
I have done Shotokan Karate for about 2 1/2 years and am a 1st Kyu Brown Belt. Will be testing for my black belt in February 2013. I also practice Bojutsu
I"ve watched the Karate Kid movies.
A first dan in hapkido, a red in taekwondo, a blue in krav maga, level 6 in jeet kune do, greens in judo and modern arnis, and a third strip white in Bazilian jiujitsu. I've dabbled in American boxing, kickboxing and san soo kung foo, but was never rated in any of those.
I want to learn Hapkido so bad.
So I need to ask What move did you guys add form what movie or game?
I've done a bit of karate, and 2 months of muay thai.

I do want to study brazilian jiu-jitsu and Krav Maga in the future.
Some Line training and a lot of MCMAP but I'm so far out of practice (and out of shape) that it barely counts anymore. I've considered hitting up a Krav Maga place near my home but money's tight, I work 70 hours a week, and am usually watching the kids when I'm not at work.