Martial Arts

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 11 Next
I did almost three years of Tae Kwon Do until school had to take precedence. I then self trained in Jeet Kune Do. There are no schools for that anywhere near where I live. I hear that Dan Insanto is rather busy these days too.
ive been learning martial arts for 24years and now have a few blackbelt's .
i think the one's that i enjoyed the most thus far tho have been traditional ju-jitsu brizilain ju-jitsu and akido. *kali* stick fighting is also fun :)

have also trained in tkd, karate, thai boxing, kung-fu(wing-chung) and ninjitsu.
and all the weapons that go with these arts.
I used to take Ishinryu Karate classes. I have a green belt in it. :)
I have a Black Belt in Karate.

Sure... I got it back in Freshman year of high school, but still.
I took Aikido for a year but had to stop when I moved. I really should get back into something like that. It was good excercise without the boring grind of the gym. And as a nurse that sometimes works with violent patients the holds are really helpful.
I have a 1st Dan(degree) black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I'd like to train in Bujinkan ninjutsu but the nearest dojo is in Chicago and I live a couple hours away. Someday maybe if I can find a job closer.
10/03/2012 09:18 PMPosted by Sandninjer
Awesome! The Genbukan community is often very small and tightly knit. It's extremely unfortunate to hear the story about your former sensei though, that's actually kind of frightening that it happened within the Genbukan. Have you thought about finding another Genbukan school and training again? Good to have met you man!

Yeah, it is very small and tight-knit. Luckily, my teacher who was kicked from the Genbukan wasn't an actual dojo-cho or anything officially recognized as a teacher. He was just the most experienced student of our group who had a bit of experience teaching other arts. He was approved by the Genbukan to relay his knowledge to us so long as we met at least once or twice a year with our actual sensei who ran the Ganseki Dojo. The two times I met with our actual sensei were fantastic. That guy was such a great teacher, and as far as I know he's still in operation.

Sadly, I've not been able to get back into it because that dojo is over six hours away from where I live. The distance was the reason our satellite group was approved to be an extension of that dojo. If I lived closer, I'd get back into it in a heartbeat. But for now, I'm stuck with all the books and training DVD's I managed to snag before my membership expired and the knowledge of everything I practiced while still active.

I have a question though if you're still following this thread. Is your group officially part of the Genbukan or do you guys just study ninpo based on Genbukan teachings? I looked up your school and tried to find it and your sensei on the list of official Genbukan dojos and teachers, but I didn't see them on there.
With this new Kung Fu'esque atmosphere since MoP release, started wondering how many players actually study martial arts in real life? Have you ever studied any style seriously, be it boxing, tae kwon do, karate, kendo, aikido, ninjutsu, muay thai, capoeira, silat, hapkido, judo, etc? If so, what have you studied, for how long, and what school? Why did you stop?

*Edit* Forgot to toss in my own qualifications. Have studied tae kwon do first, spent around 3 years boxing, and am now studying Genbukan ninjutsu at the Seishin Warrior Center. Ninjutsu is comprised of many styles including taijutsu, ju-jutsu, kenjutsu, bojutsu, and several more which are also common in other styles like Kendo and Aikido, among a few more.

Hmm... I trained in Genbukan Ninpo myself for many years, and did many seminars with Tanemura Soke. I stopped because I had kids, and could not devote the time (or money) to it any longer.
Studied at a school that was one of the combined style types, with a mix of sport karate (performance type stuff or point-sparring) and self-defense application techniques, and spent about 5 years total doing before getting my black belt in their system.

Being in middle school and then high school at the time, it was a great way to develop discipline and stay in shape (though my knees hate me because of it - 26 and I already have bad knees, though I don't need surgery on them yet...only so many times that you can do some of those sport karate kicks before your body kicks back), and I loved taking the extra training classes offered on weekends, like Aikido.

Drifted away from it because most things post the 1st level of black belt were based around teaching and aspects of running a studio and putting in the time to teach others - at 16 I wasn't all that interested in putting that much time into it. Still not interested in that, actually...if I get back into it, it's to train and not run a business.
i'm currently studying shaolin kempo.
I'm currently practicing Taekwondo. I'm halfway to my black belt a little under a year and I tribute that to my kick !@# instructors. I'm always fighting black belts (and getting my butt kicked) but I learn something everytime. But it seems a lot of the other students aren't as well....active as I am.

Sadly, my teacher makes me do pushups often because I dodge rather than block all the time.
Back in college, lo, these many years ago, I studied "kung fu" at the university athletic complex. Our club was part of a small organization that promoted a syncretic style of Chinese boxing that drew from many different styles, including Tai Chi, Ba Gua Chang, Hsing-I Chuan, and others. The founder of the club generated a list of ten general principles of internal martial arts, and any style that adhered to those principles was incorporated into the curriculum in some way.

I made it two or three belts up the ladder, but I wasn't there long enough to go any further, and there's no associated teacher where I currently live. So I'm unfortunately almost 15 years out of practice.
I take Cop fu.

Well that's what I call it, anyway. They call it "self-defense for police officers", which is depressingly mundane. But think about it: what's the one kind of person who has to rely on his martial arts on a daily basis not just to win trophies, but to actually keep themselves alive? Police officers, of course. It's a martial art designed so that a 130 pound police woman can take down a 300 pound dude who is drugged out on !@#. I've taken many different forms of martial arts over the years and this is by far the most effective in terms of street value. I've worked my way up to assistant instructor and I got my black belt in Goju-ryu Karate, and we also teach anti-##@!!!*! techniques to college girls. You wouldn't believe how effective it is until you've seen a 110 pound 19 year old girl throw a 200+ pound full grown man.

One of my favorite things about it is that they don't just teach you the strikes and joint locks, but also presence. Nothing throws a person off more than screaming bloody murder at them. Maybe that's why I love playing a fury warrior so much.
I took TKD for many years as a youth (red belt black tip), as I grew older I trained with local law enforcement while taking CJ classes in school, lots of take downs, restraint holds, pressure points etc. One of my instructors was my old TKD instructor (a Lt. in the PD), so guess who got to the demonstrations...

Luckily, my size and calm demeanor has deterred many a scuffle, cause as I found out more times than I care to admit, no one really wins in a fight, bruised knuckles, forearms, etc just suck.
I've been studying for over 30 years. Of course, it's good to be able to defend yourself and others, but the most important thing is how it changes your character. If you don't learn self-control, empathy for others, the ability to see a bad situation developing and defuse it, and the confidence to walk away from an unnecessary fight, then you're just a brawler who has been given the techniques to be dangerous to himself and others. I mention this because that's become more and more common here in the "West".
/end lecture

But since this is about which MA's we've studied, here are mine in the order I studied them (although they've overlapped):
Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Karate, 'Ninjutsu', Bojutsu, Kempo, and most recently I've been learning Iajutsu (a Japanese Sword Art), because I'm not as young as I used to be and it doesn't put as much stress on my body.

However, when I work out outside the Dojo I combine what I've learned from all of these, with a focus on kicks (because I really enjoy them, and they get my heart-rate up really well since they involve the largest muscles) so that it helps me be well-rounded and stay in shape.
Shodan (1st degree black belt) in Okinawan Goju Ryu - Shoreikan branch. Very much out of practice though.

Forgot to mention also 1st degree black belt in Matsusokan Goju Ryu and brown belt in Okinawan Kubudo (weapons)
I have a third degree black belt in towel snapping.

Fear me.

- Forbs
"For Gnomeregan!"
Boxing for a couple years and tae kwon do but broke my foot under some huge guy doing a hip throw and never got back into it after that.
i did tae kwon do for like eight years when i was in primary school - all the way up through high school. sadly, it blew up some of my joints. ;p

i did tai chi for about 8 months more recently, which was a great boon to my previously destroyed joints, and much more my style, since i like the option to operate at a setting between 'off' and 'kick your chest in'.