Stone Guard is way too difficult

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
10/06/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Sarosha
Has a good video guide been posted yet?

by who? a third of the high-end guilds posting videos didn't make it into MoP.

at this rate in 2-3 expansions even Sarosha can be a world progression raider...
10/06/2012 03:57 PMPosted by Robokapp
Has a good video guide been posted yet?

at this rate in 2-3 expansions even Sarosha can be a world progression raider...

Mop has been selling like crazy.

Sub's are way up

For a bad casual expansion its doing really well.

Sub's are way up

Indeed we are back up to over 10million now. It could be the worst expansion ever though, and they would stlll be up right after it launches. Im much more interested in 4th quarter results.

First might be a better look.

It's not the honeymoon phase of an expac that's ever had an issue, it's keeping it going.
LFR should let you wipe, but they have also said they do not want a random group wiping more than 3-5 times. Because then people will stop running it, this is what they discovered from cata heroics.

So how do you let them wipe without it becoming a wipefest

I guess they are erring on the side of too easy again. But we will see in a few days.

I am 99% sure you didn't actually read what I said.

In most facets of life I would agree with you. Learning and growth should be encouraged. Not in a game, at least not to the extent that some hardcores want it. Like I have said before, WoW is an evening of drinks and darts for many people. Not a puzzle. Gaming companies are really starting to recognize this audience now. It's why some single RPG's of this year even describe one difficulty setting they offer, in the game, as "an interactive story mode."

There are three problems with this.

1) Raid nerfs have nothing to do with an interactive story mode; that's supposed to be the role filled by an entire raid mode (LFR) already.

2) WoW being an evening of drinks to casuals does not mean that Heroic raiding needs to be touched, unless you think these people logging on for an evening of drinks and darts magically forming 10-man or 25-man Heroic raiding guilds.

3) Gaming companies are also recognising the mistakes made in a game system that attempts to pander to this audience - mistakes made by a series of games that tried to distil this into a lowest common denominator and flat out didn't accomplish what they sought.

Specifically, a game needs to have a hook beyond "Be here, mash things, get rewards". In some games, that's story/lore. WoW's hook with easy content has to be something other than the ease of the content; which could be something as simple as framing a quest chain around making LFR/LFD feel more storylike, like you're actually doing something explorey other than queuing up a button to take part in a 15-minute slot machine to receive shinies.

It's the same thing that comes with any reward system.
10/06/2012 04:51 PMPosted by Sarosha

Sub's are way up

yes, 2 weeks after launch it's doing great. except it got here on pure hype.

wolk release was more popular than BC. cata release was more popular than wolk - minus release. MoP release failed to reach wolk/cata rleases.

so it's already doing so-so not 'good'.

this is the absolute peak of the expansion and it's 2 million below previous peaks.

Sub's are way up

Ya, it's definitely the faceroll heroics that are why people bought MoP
Or, we can also say, because the raids are hard.

Let's blame it on the Farmville.

Or we can just agree that the game overall is offering everyone something, as long as raids don't get Dragonsoul nerfed to the ground again, it seems most people are happy.
It's not way to difficult, it just isn't the typical first boss faceroll that yu are acustom to. That would be spirit kings if you were wondering.

If you think stoneguard is hard wait til you get to elegon. Then s*** gets real.

Sub's are way up

Ya, it's definitely the faceroll heroics that are why people bought MoP

Let's blame it on the Farmville.

Or we can just agree that the game overall is offering everyone something, as long as raids don't get Dragonsoul nerfed to the ground again, it seems most people are happy.

Raids are going to get nerfed, im figuring it will top out around 20%
10/06/2012 10:41 PMPosted by Postonforums

Perhaps the 100,000 people or so who have downed anything in the raids so far. This is not a large fraction of the player population.
The encounter is doable, just all on the tanks on the swaps, and players being awake on puddles. I love that blizzard finally gave us a challenge, first encounter I have ever done on a xpac and haven't down first shot.
My guild tried it last night. Odd choice by Blizzard for an entry boss but not impossible, especially with better gear, for our skill level.

That said, I don't like the disadvantage melee DPS present, especially because Jasper Chains seem to prefer ranged-melee links. In one cycle, the number of Amethyst Pools around the overloading bosses would double, and if Jasper refused to petrify, the whole group would need to move as the tank kited. Annoying, because ranged would make the coincident mechanics so much more manageable.
I'm afraid LFR won't teach people how to efficiently do the fight though. Based on what I saw on the boss we would usually wipe before we even got 10m of his health down. If they just turn the damage down on LFR tons of mistakes can be made and nobody would learn anything.

I was pleasently surprised though. Here we were all thinking. "All right whatever.. DS was !@#$ing easy let's just go in here half assed and not care about our gear." About 3 wipes later. "Ok wow.. we need to get more prepared for this." This is NOT for casuals. This is actually very challenging now.
I'm afraid LFR won't teach people how to efficiently do the fight though. Based on what I saw on the boss we would usually wipe before we even got 10m of his health down. If they just turn the damage down on LFR tons of mistakes can be made and nobody would learn anything.

I was pleasently surprised though. Here we were all thinking. "All right whatever.. DS was !@#$ing easy let's just go in here half assed and not care about our gear." About 3 wipes later. "Ok wow.. we need to get more prepared for this." This is NOT for casuals. This is actually very challenging now.

My guess is they are starting it very hard.

And will adjust downward later to let everyone in.

The only other choice would be a new LFR every 4 months.
My guild tried it last night. Odd choice by Blizzard for an entry boss but not impossible, especially with better gear, for our skill level.

That said, I don't like the disadvantage melee DPS present, especially because Jasper Chains seem to prefer ranged-melee links. In one cycle, the number of Amethyst Pools around the overloading bosses would double, and if Jasper refused to petrify, the whole group would need to move as the tank kited. Annoying, because ranged would make the coincident mechanics so much more manageable.

I think that melee are actually better than ranged on this fight. Most melee have very strong cleave making them do the most damage on this encounter.
Here is the reasoning.

In 40 days or so the full LFR system will be in.

Im making the assumption that the majority of the playerbase is reward driven rather than experience driven.

At that point LFR 3-5 will be dropping 483 tier gear, 483 tier gear will probably be as good or better than 489 non tier gear. LFR in general doesnt require gearing up any more than meeting the minimum ilevel, so anyone who does should be able to down it the first weeks

Therefore MV will go on everyones no longer relevant list unless its nerfed to the point of farmability. Basically it will have to be just slightly harder than lfr 3-5.

Therefore the first nerfs to MV should hit around the time LFR 3-5 is coming into the system, if not it will just be ignored by almost everyone.

I think that melee are actually better than ranged on this fight. Most melee have very strong cleave making them do the most damage on this encounter.

The lock in our group was doing top dps followed by our frost dk.
10/07/2012 11:12 AMPosted by Hybriis

With no threatening enrage, though, I'd happily trade cleave damage for a less dangerous, cluttered melee zone.

10/07/2012 11:08 AMPosted by Fenrus
I'm afraid LFR won't teach people how to efficiently do the fight though.

That's one reason why I dislike LFR, especially now.