Need help with Aff. DPS

Warlock
Hey so I have not played wow really since WOTLK. I decided to come back for MOP and so far Im loving it, but I have a problem.

My DPS is soo low. Im last in every heroic im doing...I cant seem to get past 25k....

My rotation is

CoE
BoA
Cor
UA
MG

keep DOTs topped off at all times and when haunt is up I use it....Boss under 20% i switch to DS.

Is this right. My gear is bad but so is everyone's im doing heroics with....
Put up your DOTs all at once with a Soulburned Soul Swap.
10/07/2012 08:28 AMPosted by Villafranca
keep DOTs topped off at all times

The way you worded that may be throwing me off, but you only need to refresh DoTs when they only have a few seconds left, 4 or 5 if you're about to cast MG> With Pandemic you can reapply them any time though, as long as they're under 1/2 their original duration.
Raise your Spell Hit to 15%. Are you getting your curse up to increase spell damage? If not, make sure you are. Summon your Infernal too.
I use SB-SS to put them up to start, and yea Rahal I do that just worded it wrong... I keep CoE up also

My rotation is

CoE
BoA
Cor
UA
MG

Start your rotation with Agony and make sure that time out. When it reaches 10, it becomes your 2nd most dps after Corr.
Also after UA, throw Haunt (which adds 25% more damage to your DOTS) and don't worry about SS, they are easily replaced, or get the Glyph of SS which adds one more additional SS. Also after haunt I personally like to throw in Seed, followed by Fel Flame which adds more time to Corr and UA and then the MG or DS depending on their life %.

Also since your back into the game, look into Respec. As Affliction Soul Leech doesn't really help Aff. For AOE I'll upgrade my SoC and then use Harvest Life. However you want to do it, is ultimately up to you.
Affliction is horrible when other classes can zerg stuff. Affliction shines when you can keep things up close to 100%.

For dungeons at this point you ought to learn demo or destruction.

If affliction is the most geared of the toons then affliction will show well. But if you are less geared it looks even worse because it takes time to get damage out.

But as affliction in dungeons I use SB:SS alot. Keep the bars up of all the mobs so you can pick the low hp mob to Drain soul on, and then SB:SS more. The more mobs you have dots on the better your damage. Then pick the kill target, coe, haunt, mg. DS. And repeat. Lots and lots of work. but can be competitive. But again if you lack the gear its even that much harder to compete because other classes will kill that much faster.
10/07/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Ifstar
CoE

which one? all curses in affliction are CoE now. CoEm, CoEl, CoEx?

CoEl
I see alot of people choosing mastery over haste, but at this gear level and this early in the tier, haste is still greater than mastery but only by a small amount. After multiple sims and in game tests, haste outweighs mastery by about 20%. Also, with the stat weights where they are, haste and masteryt both outweigh hit and is a dps gain to sacrifice some hit to gain haste and mastery. I know it sounds wrong but the extra tick opportunities cover the spread in misses. It is also a dps loss to apply haunt if you only have one shard available, try to only use soulburn soulswap unless you have 2 shards avaliable. The time it takes to cast haunt + travel time is a loss of dps unless you can reapply all dots instantly with soulburn. WIth the addition of Pandemic @ 90, the refresh period of dots is no longer a last second requirement. Hope this helps and heres a link to the sim I ended up on, GL!

http://files.enjin.com/165446/simc/tick_patchwerk.html
I see alot of people choosing mastery over haste, but at this gear level and this early in the tier, haste is still greater than mastery but only by a small amount. After multiple sims and in game tests, haste outweighs mastery by about 20%.

This may be true in terms of stat weights, but you need to look into the matter from the perspective of reforging. Losing Mastery lowers the value of Haste and vice versa. On my current gearset, reforging Mastery to Haste adds about 20 DPS. That's not a typo - TWENTY DPS.

10/07/2012 12:16 PMPosted by Tickfauker
It is also a dps loss to apply haunt if you only have one shard available, try to only use soulburn soulswap unless you have 2 shards avaliable. The time it takes to cast haunt + travel time is a loss of dps unless you can reapply all dots instantly with soulburn.

It's easy enough to manually force dots to have enough uptime to channel MG for the full duration of Haunt. On top of that, casting Haunt just does more damage per its casttime than any filler spell, including Drain Soul, Haunt just hits that hard. There may be more optimal ways of using shards, but I don't see how it's a DPS loss to burn all of your shards.
Are you using soulburn soulswap to reapply dots on execute?
Are you keeping haunt up pretty much whole execute?
Are you using doomguard 20%<?
I think I know where he is coming from. At the moment I'm decent enough to go raid, but even tho I put up all my dots and keep em running while filling in with Malefic Grasp highest I can go is 30k dps on meters while everyone else is doing 43k or more. It just seems I cant do anything else to get up there.
I took a look at a few locks gear that they posted here, and stat wise we are pretty much the same, just wondering what your dps is with meters. Also Tickfauker took his hit down to increase haste, just wondering if it really is a need to hit that cap of 15% or just concentrate on haste and spellpower
If you are affliction and you are not going for hit cap you are a monkey, regardless of what any guides say.