[Choosing a class] Coming back for MoP

New Player Help and Guides
Hello there,

I'm coming back from a long break for Mists and I'm wondering if you guys could help me pick a "main" character. Reasons are:

1. I'd like to focus my gold on a single character
2. I can't stand farming and grinding for rep/gear multiple times
3. I would like to actually become good at this game. ;)

So, here's that nicely filled quiz, please take note that I own a level 85 of every class right now, except for the monk, which you can of course include in your answers.

Thanks in advance,

A fellow player

What have you played before?
Every single class.

How far did you level it?
To 85

Describe what you liked and disliked about those classes. Be detailed!
- I prefer caster classes, but I'm into learning the melee ones also.
- I prefer priority list over a "set in stone" rotation *cough* Cata Arcane Mage *cough*
- I like being able to play multiple roles with 1 set of gear, but that's icing on the sundae.

- Classes/specs that lack mobility
- As of now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle pets, seems like with practice I could come up with good results, but as of now, I'm not particularly fond of it

With a friend or alone? What's your friend going to be leveling?

Are you leveling via PvE or PvP? Chain-running dungeons?
questing with a pinch of instance running.

Will you be doing primarily raids/dungeons at level cap (PvE) or knocking the opposing faction in the balls over a flag (PvP)?
Both, I plan on mastering this character in every possible environment.

Will you be multiboxing or just playing a single character?
Single character.

Race preference? Either for looks or the actual racials (or lore!).
None that matters for this

Heals/tank/DPS? What's your style for DPS - melee or ranged?
I can play any role with ease, but I'd like to focus on only 1, perhaps 2 of these roles to really push my performance further.

Any favorite game mechanics? (DoTs, HoTs, stealth, mana, etc)
Like I said earlier, playing all the classes made me comfortable with every mechanic, so that doesn't really matter.

Hybrid or pure? Does it matter?
I prefer hybrid.

Pet or temporary pet or none at all? Does it matter?
I'm open to the possibility of managing pets.

Throw in any extra details here:
I like a "easy to pick up, hard to master" type of gameplay. What I mean by that is that I can start learning slow and steady, while having the possibility of pulling super cool tricks and combinations when I perfect my gameplay.

On the other side, looking back at this thread you may tell yourself that I'm asking for the flavor of the month/expansion/whatever. It's not the case. I'm just trying to figure out what should I play to avoid learning 11 new classes just to figure out the first one was the most appropriate option.

EDIT: Copied blank questionnaire -__-'
I think you forgot to fill out the questionnaire.
Yup, he posted the questions, but didn't give the answers. Perhaps he's writing up an "edit"?
Edit up, tab key seems to make me lose the focus on the textbox...
10/03/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Schnäpps
Edit up, tab key seems to make me lose the focus on the textbox...

In almost all web forms, tab is how you move your "focus" as you termed it from one interactive element to another. Alt-tab moves you to another window and control-tab moves you to a different web tab. So just try to stay away from using "tab" when using web forms unless you want to tab through the different fields, buttons, and links.

In response to your question: If you've leveled every class in the game other than monks to 85 (the max level until recently), then you probably have a really good idea about them all anyway. If you're still not sure, try monk as it's the only one you haven't tried yet?

MoP did change things around and adjustments will need to be made, but the overall gameplay and core style of each of the class/spec combos is still the same. Chances are if you liked or hated the basics of a class/spec before, you'll feel the same way now.

For example: Hunters still need to be careful about their auto-attack, still need to send in pets before they start shooting, still need to make use of their escapes if their enemy gets too close (they maybe able to attack in melee now, but they still don't do so well at taking the damage), etc.