Pets pulling agro off tanks

Hunter
Hello Hunters! While tanking some instances recently, I have run into several hunter pets that pull agro off me. I tell the hunters to turn off growl/taunt and they say they have - but this still happens and the hunters don't know why. I don't know the hunter class that well and am not sure why this is happening or what to tell them to change. Thanks for any help!
Assuming you are executing your moves correctly and pulling the correct amount of aggro.....make sure they don't have misderect still targeted to the pet. Most hunters use a macro for MD (i use one that MD to my focus target, so I just focus the tank). The hunter should MD to you at every opportunity, if they aren't...they are bad.
10/09/2012 08:14 AMPosted by Levix
Hello Hunters! While tanking some instances recently, I have run into several hunter pets that pull agro off me. I tell the hunters to turn off growl/taunt and they say they have - but this still happens and the hunters don't know why. I don't know the hunter class that well and am not sure why this is happening or what to tell them to change. Thanks for any help!

Growl was changed from a high threat attack to a true taunt. It behaves identically to your taunt now. It has an 8 second cooldown, puts the pet at the top of the threat table, etc. It should be disabled in group play where pet tanking is not expected. I generally leave Growl enabled in scenarios, but not dungeons and raids. That is most likely the issue.

There are also two other issues related the Stampede that you might be experiencing. The Glyph of Stampede recreates your active pet 4 times when Stampede is used, but does not correctly apply its auto-cast settings. For these pets, Growl is always enabled and there is no way to disable it. For the unglyphed Stampede, it uses whatever auto-cast settings were set the last time each pet was dismissed. If a Hunter dismissed a pet with Growl enabled then called that pet via Stampede, the pet will taunt using Growl.
Yeah the problem is basicly what Adarant said, if any pets have growl on when stampede is activated they will taunt off of the tank. For some reason at the launch of mists blizzard decided to turn all of my pet taunts on and I had to figure this out the fun way. So if you have this problem just tell the hunter to check all his pets real quick :)

-Snowshott
Thanks for info guys! Unfortunately half the hunters I meet don't even know what growl is...
10/09/2012 08:33 AMPosted by Adarant
The Glyph of Stampede recreates your active pet 4 times when Stampede is used, but does not correctly apply its auto-cast settings.

I am not sure this is consistent. I just popped the glyphed version against Coren Direbrew, after changing my active pet's Growl Auto-cast to "off" during combat (I forgot to flip it off before...whoops) and the Stampeding pets didn't Growl.
10/09/2012 08:18 AMPosted by Kodiakbrujah
Assuming you are executing your moves correctly and pulling the correct amount of aggro.....make sure they don't have misderect still targeted to the pet. Most hunters use a macro for MD (i use one that MD to my focus target, so I just focus the tank). The hunter should MD to you at every opportunity, if they aren't...they are bad.

Yup, its in my rotation. i do it every.. EVERY time it comes off cool down. also, its pretty easy to macro (growl) it off if your not SOLO.. i have a set of buttons for solo (me and my pet) and a set just for groups.. keeps things simple..
10/09/2012 10:21 AMPosted by Zulgaro
The Glyph of Stampede recreates your active pet 4 times when Stampede is used, but does not correctly apply its auto-cast settings.

I am not sure this is consistent. I just popped the glyphed version against Coren Direbrew, after changing my active pet's Growl Auto-cast to "off" during combat (I forgot to flip it off before...whoops) and the Stampeding pets didn't Growl.

It's possible that today's maintenance fixed the bug. I haven't seen any hotfix list yet and I haven't been able to get on and check.
if the pet is not taunting and the hunter is not mding to his pet then you should be fine in agro.. for normal/heroic dungs it is not needed to md unless you are starting an aoe fight and want to go all out without giving any second to the tank to hold theat..

the only thing that is "bugging" some times are stampede pets (even glyphed) taunting some mobs now and then but it shouldnt be a problem since the most that can happen is dead pets anyway
This situation happened to me yesterday in BRC. I was asked to turn on growl for a certain situation and then mistakenly left it on. The tank got upset. I am on here to learn how to avoid anything like that in the future. I will macro the MD and use it on tank..good call!

I was also using Dire Beast on DPS cool-down. Is this not okay in Dungeons? I don't think it pulls agro, but not certain.
Dire Beast does not taunt. It's damage also isn't nearly enough for it to be pulling threat off a tank, unless the tank is horrible at doing his job. You'd be gimping your DPS not using it.
I'm trying not to mention that, not only unglyphed stampede uses whatever settings you left on your 5 pets (so they come out with growl and such), they auto-attack whatever is around, even if the hunter didn't attack anything.

So, stampede puts the pets on full aggressive, jenkins mode. On large groups of adds, they will divert the adds as soon the first targeted add dies. If there is a boss targeted, the pets will stay on the targeted boss and won't come out after the adds, but their AOE attacks will divert adds. Pet mending (healing) will pull aggro toward the hunter too.

I would recommend politely asking the present hunters to pop stampede only when hell is breaking loose anyway and everything in the dungeon can be aggroed without consequence. I try very hard not to use my CC skills before using stampede.
However, it is nice to save the healers when tankers lose some add or another that will go after the healer, by deliberately releasing growl on the loose add, followed by misdirect.
How do you Disable Growl? It's my first time As a Hunter and I'm onl;y lvl 16. can you please help, i'm tired of tanks getting pissed.
"I'm level 16 and what is this?"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, to answer your question, right-click on Growl on your pet's bar, and it will stop autocasting (there will be a blinking outline around the icon if it's being autocast).

I need to start using misdirection more often. Or at all, I keep forgetting to use it. You target the healer when you use it, right?
I think Growl is not always on the pet bar. I've noticed that for some new pets I tame I have to go to the spellbook and manually add it on the spellbar. So new or inexperienced hunters may not be aware of it.

Also, "hunters not using MD are bad"...? Come on.

The stampede point is valid, except I don't think this happen with the glyph. In any case I never saw it happen from em after I used the glyph.
I think Growl is not always on the pet bar. I've noticed that for some new pets I tame I have to go to the spellbook and manually add it on the spellbar. So new or inexperienced hunters may not be aware of it.

The stampede point is valid, except I don't think this happen with the glyph. In any case I never saw it happen from em after I used the glyph.

Most of the responses above are from 2012 when everything they said was still an issue. Stampede growls and such.

Most of the responses above are from 2012 when everything they said was still an issue. Stampede growls and such.

Ah geez, I hate it when someone resurrect an old thread like that. I did not notice the dates on the posts

Ah geez, I hate it when someone resurrect an old thread like that. I did not notice the dates on the posts

Lol =)
How do you Disable Growl? It's my first time As a Hunter and I'm onl;y lvl 16. can you please help, i'm tired of tanks getting pissed.
Hit Shift-I and right-click the growl icon in your pet's spell book. You should also keep it on your Pet's Bar. Finally here, read this: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8480658242
My 75 hunter never uses MD.