Frustrated with DPS

Hunter
Alright, so I'm currently a level 90 hunter, in ilvl 443 gear.. I'm getting very frustrated with the amount of DPS I currently output (at most, about 20k single target..) - I used to be SV, went BM because I heard the DPS was tremendous..turns out it wasn't that much better. I haven't PVP'd, as I'm PvE focused, but something really bothered me - I was playing in a heroic earlier today and after the first boss fight the TANK said "hunter, u nude??? your dps blows" I said "yeah, i know." and continued the heroic, feeling completely inadequate.

Is there something I can do to improve my DPS, like, right now?
Hunters are low right now.

http://spooky-cadence.tumblr.com/post/32788098286/tl-dr-cobra-shot-and-steady-shot-damage-is-so
I understand they're low, but is there ANYTHING i can do to catch up to the rest of the pack? :/
10/03/2012 12:59 AMPosted by Kamun
I understand they're low, but is there ANYTHING i can do to catch up to the rest of the pack? :/

Not really.

This is a matter of mechanics, not the player. It's all explained in the post I linked.
10/03/2012 01:01 AMPosted by Calmai

Not really.

This is a matter of mechanics, not the player. It's all explained in the post I linked.

Ah, thanks then - My guild was making me feel like it was something I was doing wrong...

Don't know why, our main raid hunter is only doing 38k dps, and he's geared up... he's doing less DPS now than when he was doing Dragon Soul back in cata..

Not really.

Ah, thanks then - My guild was making me feel like it was something I was doing wrong...

Don't know why, our main raid hunter is only doing 38k dps, and he's geared up... he's doing less DPS now than when he was doing Dragon Soul back in cata..

TL;DR our burst is amazing but the way Cobra/Steady work at the moment it's almost as though we have Aspect of the Viper back. Except Aspect of the Viper was optional, and we're fiberlocked into using Steady/Cobra.

TL;DR our burst is amazing but the way Cobra/Steady work at the moment it's almost as though we have Aspect of the Viper back.

Hah, I remember that - I had a macro set to say i was using aspect of the viper, and to expect my DPS to blow.

TL;DR our burst is amazing but the way Cobra/Steady work at the moment it's almost as though we have Aspect of the Viper back.

Hah, I remember that - I had a macro set to say i was using aspect of the viper, and to expect my DPS to blow.

Yeah, we're gonna suck until Blizz fixes this.

What pisses me off more about this, is that we're complaining we absolutely suck with DPS, but blizzard posts this.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794029542#1

Other classes get buffed while we stay on the low end of DPS? What?

What pisses me off more about this, is that we're complaining we absolutely suck with DPS, but blizzard posts this.

Yep, and it's a very simple fix.

Increase the damage done by Corbra/Steady by between 40-70% and lower some of our burst to balance it.

Done.

Increase the damage done by Corbra/Steady by between 40-70% and lower some of our burst to balance it.

Done.

That'd do it - Let's try to get blizz to see this, then?

Done.

That'd do it - Let's try to get blizz to see this, then?

Probably link to the thread I linked in my tumblr post, that's got more information in it and several other suggestions for fixing this.

Looking at your armory, you could probably increase your DPS around 10k by gemming and enchanting that which can be gemmed and enchanted. Get some expertise and way more hit - 7.5% each (roughly 2600). Then reforge into mastery as much as you can. That should help.
In the mean time I will definitely recommend concentrating on getting gems and enchantments especially once you reach your level cap!! <3

^^^^^

@Kamun
To help your DPS, you really need to get your Hit up, and also look to increase your Crit. Mastery is also good to get up a bit higher if you can. These things will make a difference, but like others are saying, hunters are just low at the moment in general, so don't feel too bad :)
Hunter dps is fine. If you're in all blue heroic gear that has proper chants and gems and are hit/exp capped you should be in high mid pack or in top 5 on dps meters with no problem for single target as BM. If you are not playing you're class the way you should be, not chating gear or not having any gems you shouldent be complaining about how we have "low" or "bad" dps.
Well to be fair I was almost pulling higher dps at 85 in my 397 gear than I did at 440. On a typical dungeon fight I'd pull 45k regularly. Part of that was the burst nature of the fights, if the boss barely lives past my readiness reset then my dps will look pretty sweet. On any sustained fight my dps drops pretty rapidly, once all my cooldowns are done. this only really comes up because we blow through heroic dungeon bosses so quickly that my cooldowns haven't reset from one boss to the next.

As for it being "fine". That would depend quite a lot on the length of fights in the panda raids.

a bursty pattern of dps, where I spike high, tail off, and spike high again.
4:59 second fight, my dps will be low. 5:30 second fight it will look pretty good.

at least that is my experience/thought in the short time I've been 90.

* oh and edit to say, bm hunter isn't exactly the easiest class to play, it's a bonanza of cooldowns now and takes some practice to get right with 13 items on the priority list. again, that's my opinion.
not sure if your doing it wrong cause im lvl 85 does the mop dungeons and im currntly pulling 27-30k in my 85 gear (only 3 blues). I havent played since cata and even then i only played til i hit 85. maybe think about using all your talents. then readyness and rapidfire as much as possible

This is as Survival BTW with a cat pet
Most people think they are underpowered just because their dps drops after their cooldowns are gone, but that doesn't mean you are underpowered, rotate your cooldowns better and you will be fine. Hunters aren't bad right now they're actually pretty good in PVE. I haven't had any issues so far on the meters and most of the time you can pull a rediculous 100k+ burst with cooldowns and then readyness right after. The only people beating my damage so far has been tanks with out a vengence cap.
Although I do agree a buff to cobra shot would be nice.