Shadow-Pan, Crane, and Tiger representation?

Monk
So monks have a ton of neat lore-related characteristics, especially with each spec representing certain August Celestials, Brewmaster as the Ox, Mistweaver as the Serpent, and Windwalkers as the Tiger.

However, I really feel like some representation is missing. Windwalkers no longer have their statue, and their relation to Xuen the White Tiger is no longer emphasized. Also, there's little room for the Red Crane with only three specs.

In addition, I find myself admiring the Shado-Pan, but envying their blend between Monk and Rogue. While some are clearly Rogues, most are not such the murderous assassin type. I think it would be nice to see some sort of stealth in the class, perhaps as a Talent or major Glyph. Or perhaps even limited to Windwalkers, given the Wind Walk reference, and that the Shado-Pan seem to revere Xuen.
Sure we've got rogues already, but they simply aren't the same flavor. In this sense, I think a good deal of overlap is desired, similarly to how Paladins overlap between Warriors and Priests, and how Destruction Warlocks and Fire Mages have some degree as well.

And what of a Red Crane representation? A fitting 4th spec prompt? Perhaps associated with the Shado-Pan, and change their reverence? Or perhaps something entirely unique? And how would the Red Crane be represented in game mechanics?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on these inter-weaving notions.
I do agree an initial stealth out of combat is needed for windwalker, but a vanish or more stuns is not.
10/03/2012 08:28 AMPosted by Iïlïlïlïl
I do agree an initial stealth out of combat is needed for windwalker, but a vanish or more stuns is not.

Quite what I was thinking. More like a hunter or druid.
On a semi-related note, did anyone from Blizz ever state why they totally axed the Xuen statue instead of just reworking it to be less clunky/annoying? It seems like a big part of the monk and pandaren flair to cut for an entire spec.
In Warcraft 3 the Windwalk ability made the caster go invisible, run at increase movement speed by 30% and gave a gaurenteed crit when breaking it via attacking.
10/03/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Daralii
On a semi-related note, did anyone from Blizz ever state why they totally axed the Xuen statue instead of just reworking it to be less clunky/annoying? It seems like a big part of the monk and pandaren flair to cut for an entire spec.

I'd have been satisfied putting it down for aesthetics alone, even if it were still broken.
10/03/2012 10:16 AMPosted by Kouze
In Warcraft 3 the Windwalk ability made the caster go invisible, run at increase movement speed by 30% and gave a gaurenteed crit when breaking it via attacking.

I figure in WoW to keep some differentiation from Rogue it should probably not provide any bonus to damage; simply utility to keep it more reasonable. (And thereby more likely to make it in. >w>;)
I totally agree. I always thought the Shado'Pan were really cool. I think a short 6 second stealth would be a great addition or an out of combat stealth.
I don't know about a 4th spec (I'm not against it), but I think Stance of the Red Crane could be a badass cooldown. Maybe model it like Ascendance or Guardian of Ancient Kings were all specs have it but its function changes depending on your specialization.

And I agree that WWs feel lacking in certain areas. No statue like BMs/MWs, nor do they have a "teachings" like Teachings of the Monastery or Brewmaster Training. Someone else mentioned it in another thread, but it would be nice for Touch of Death to take on an execute role for WWs similar to Shadow Word: Death and similar abilities (as it's useless in raids and pvp). Having a "Teachings of Xuen" type passive for WWs could include such modifications.

Adding a White Tiger Statue cd could address the burst dps complaints too (vs it being more like a totem we have to keep down/maintain...bleck!).
I don't know about a 4th spec (I'm not against it), but I think Stance of the Red Crane could be a badass cooldown. Maybe model it like Ascendance or Guardian of Ancient Kings were all specs have it but its function changes depending on your specialization.

And I agree that WWs feel lacking in certain areas. No statue like BMs/MWs, nor do they have a "teachings" like Teachings of the Monastery or Brewmaster Training. Someone else mentioned it in another thread, but it would be nice for Touch of Death to take on an execute role for WWs similar to Shadow Word: Death and similar abilities (as it's useless in raids and pvp). Having a "Teachings of Xuen" type passive for WWs could include such modifications.

Adding a White Tiger Statue cd could address the burst dps complaints too (vs it being more like a totem we have to keep down/maintain...bleck!).

There are many possibilities for White Tiger statues. The important thing is that it has to be passive yet feel active. Ox with its shields, Serpent with its additional healing targets + extra line of sight.

And in the vain of Windwalkers, it has to pertain to damage. +damage to self and allies was good, but clicking it was too much of an active chore. Tiger Palm could be a great way to activate whatever effect it has, and it'd also help people remember to use it. Perhaps empower the nearest-by ally with the Tiger Palm buff?
I'd love to see Monks act a bit more rogueish, especially Windwalkers.

Stealth would be a neat start, as would using daggers.

At the moment, the only class in the game that use agility daggers is Rogue, so there would be plenty to share.
I'd love to see Monks act a bit more rogueish, especially Windwalkers.

Stealth would be a neat start, as would using daggers.

At the moment, the only class in the game that use agility daggers is Rogue, so there would be plenty to share.

It's like nobody's ever heard of butterfly daggers! Totally a monk weapon.

People may complain that it's too much of a rogue ripoff, but they are distinct and different. Stealthy rogues are very murderous and have high burst, while windwalkers are much more steady and flowing, with a completely different feel.

As I said, overlaps exist, as with warriors and paladins, mages and warlocks, warlocks and priests, priests and paladins. One more wouldn't hurt that bad. Especially if such a Crane Spec stood on its own or something.

Idea for that by the way. Ranged DPS, like a boomkin.