Low FPS/Performance Issues [formerly @known issues (10/8) update]

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
10/14/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Threzk
So today I logged on to wow on my macbook pro retina after not playing for 2 or 3 days cause of a trip, and my framerate was running 12-14fps on the same settings I had been running before at 30-50fps. I'm assuming it's related to everyone else's problem here, I hope there will be a fix soon. 12-14fps is absolutely unplayable for me. Could this just be a graphics card problem, or is it something on blizzards end? It's just strange that it was working perfectly fine a few days ago!

Pretty much this exactly. Except i was getting 60-80 fps and now it's 22-26
1. When did this issue first start? (date or estimation of date if possible) Right after MoP went live
2. Does the low FPS persist in Windowed, Fullscreen and Windowed mode? all three
3. What FPS are you experiencing in-game when this happens? 5-8 fps
4. When does the low FPS start? (immediately when starting the game, after 'X' time of gameplay, etc) immediately after starting the game
5. Have you've done all the steps (including playtest with no addons installed) from our World of Warcraft Low Performance (Mac) support article? yes - the only fix is to reset the SMC on the MAC
6. Please post a copy of your config.wtf file on http://pastebin.com/ and link the url here. The config.wtf file is located in /Applications/World of Warcraft/WTF. This can be opened with TextEdit.
Note: Make sure to remove your Battle.net email address and any WoW user account names from the log.
7. Does this happen on the 32-bit client, 64-bit client, or both clients? 64 bit

Finally, please post your system information here.
1. Launch World of Warcraft and log in.
2. Put World of Warcraft into Windowed Mode if it is not already in Windowed Mode.
3. From the system menu bar, select Help > Copy Support Information: http://i45.tinypic.com/foodww.png
4. Paste the contents of the copied system information here (Command-V)

Remember, let's keep this thread related to low FPS. If you're having other issues not related to low FPS/performance, please create another thread so we can better assist you.
10/15/2012 06:51 PMPosted by Morroes
So today I logged on to wow on my macbook pro retina after not playing for 2 or 3 days cause of a trip, and my framerate was running 12-14fps on the same settings I had been running before at 30-50fps. I'm assuming it's related to everyone else's problem here, I hope there will be a fix soon. 12-14fps is absolutely unplayable for me. Could this just be a graphics card problem, or is it something on blizzards end? It's just strange that it was working perfectly fine a few days ago!

Pretty much this exactly. Except i was getting 60-80 fps and now it's 22-26

Did you use sleep mode AT ALL? if so, did you reboot before trying wow again? this is a pretty critical bug in OS X you have to rule out before looking at wow
1. 15th Sept 2012
2. All modes it happens?
3. Currently I have 10-12fps. Yesterday or 2 days ago it was 50-60fps.
4. As soon as I log in the Character screen is Jerky already during rotating the toon.
5. Yes I have tried and adjusted all my settings including my native settings on the rMBP to run only on the dedicated graphics card. 1 Day ago when the I was playing, the fan would always blow on the rMBP to indicate that its running and I can keep a 50-60fps. Now the fan doesn't blow at all and even though I have solely switch to using only the dedicated card? Does WoW now not tell the system to activate the card anymore or something along those lines?
6. http://pastebin.com/rmLN6ZBh
7. 64 bit client - I'm running my RetinaMBP.

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 24 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.Australian
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
I also have the MacBook Pro with Retina and am having terrible FrameRates and its unplayable. What can be done? I have deleted the cache, and other folders from post above in BLUE. What do we need to do to get this resolved?
1. It started with the release of the Mists of Pandaria pre-patch (5.0.4), and was not an issue before MOP.
2. Yes, it persists in all three modes. See below.
3. Around 20-25 FPS in Pandaria zones.
4. As soon as I log in - the log in screen appears smooth, so it isn't affected as far as I can tell.
5. Yes, I have.
6. http://pastebin.com/y1tY5HPf
7. Yes, the issue persists in both 32- and 64-bit modes.

When MOP was released and I was initially having issues with it (related to my performance,) I considered if whether or not it was an OSX-specific issue, so I installed Windows 7 (Home Premium, 64-bit) in Boot Camp. Windows has slightly better FPS than Mac OS (which is frightening, since normally it's significantly better.) I believe it's around 25 FPS in Pandaria, whereas OSX tends towards 15-20.

Timetest Information (from northern Kun-Lai to southern Krasarang):

Pandaria Fullscreen 64-bit
Min FPS 5
Max FPS 150
Avg FPS 25

Pandaria Windowed Fullscreen 64-bit
Min FPS 5
Max FPS 138
Avg FPS 25

Pandaria Windowed Windowed 64-bit
Min FPS 2
Max FPS 103
Avg FPS 25

Pandaria Fullscreen 32-bit
Min FPS 5
Max FPS 163
Avg FPS 25

Pandaria Windowed Fullscreen 32-bit
Min FPS 5
Max FPS 145
Avg FPS 25

Pandaria Windowed Windowed 32-bit
Min FPS 4
Max FPS 148
Avg FPS 25

System Information:

Software:

Time since boot: 1:09

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

Graphics/Displays:

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68b8
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0160C-155
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436
Displays:
LED Cinema Display:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Display Serial Number: Blank.
Rotation: Supported

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.Australian
Thanks for the reports so far. Our team is researching the issue using the data provided.

We'll provide additional updates when more information is available. If you're still having issues and have not posted here yet, please post the requested information as outlined here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794322614#5
Same issue, MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mountain Lion. My problems started after a power outage. I was continuing to work on battery power, but the dog had an emergency so I left the computer for awhile. Came back to find the MacBook Pro was on 1% battery power with a warning message that I needed to shut down or lose memory. The problems started after the power came back on and I restarted the computer. In WoW it showed up as a frame rate of 5 fps. There were slight problems in other applications that probably would not be noticed if you were not looking for them.

None of the proposed solutions worked. However, I found an old thread concerning earlier versions of OS X that suggested resetting the System Management Controller (SMC). I did that by turning off the computer, pressing SHIFT-CONTROL-OPTION-POWER and releasing them simultaneously (do not expect the computer to turn on). That fixed the problem. Apparently the System Management Controller can, under some circumstances, be corrupted when the laptop enters sleep mode.
Alster

that actually sounds about right. that's a low end video card that's 2 generations out of date.

My mac pro which is even older than yours sees better fps cause it has a higher end video card from same generation, 5870. that said, i don't try to play ultra settings. our computers are old. yours may be a 2010 mac pro, but it's using 2009 parts/tech.

pandaria also has far greater detail than old zones, so comparing cataclysm to pandaria frame rates is apples to oranges. it's only an issue if cataclysm to cataclysm is worse, when matching settings between the two (i.e. your current settings match those of pre 5.x). by equiv. i don't mean both set to "good" or "high" either cause that's not equiv. Options like SSAO for example need to be off when making that kind of comparison.

I don't think your issue is related to the macbook pro retina users issue at all (i think a lot of their issue has to do with their horridly out of date unoptimized drivers in OS X because apple won't include nvidias new ones for some asinine reason). your fps do seem a bit low even still so i suspect you're just turning stuff on your card/cpu cannot handle. the fact you reproduce it in windows proves it can't even possibly be OS X or mac client issue. It's got to be a settings issue or hardware limitation issue. The retina users all find their fps are much much higher in windows so they identified their issue as a mac os x only one which i believe is the larger focus of the thread. (since the mac team can only deal wth mac only issues)

Also, make sure you NEVER use sleep. sleep tanks fps. even on a mac pro. it's not just a laptop issue. it's an OS X issue. my mac pro loses about 66% performance after sleep mode on 10.7 or 10.8.

btw, i'm getting 45-60fps in pandara zones on a 2008 mac pro (3, 1) but i have stuff like sunshafts, ssao turned off. i do have water set to ultra cause the 5870 handles it well without offloading to cpu and bottlenecking things. all object and view distances set to good cause the pandaran zones are much worse on cpu than cataclysm zones were so while i could maintain high across board in cataclysm, good is all that is acceptable in pandaria.
Here is the solution that worked for me. (2012 MacBook Pro Retina)

reset the system management controller (SMC)
shut down computer
make sure power adapter is connected to computer and power source
hold left side SHIFT-CONTROL-OPTION and POWER at the same time
release all keys and power button

Turn your computer back on.

For whatever reason, I have to do this on a regular basis. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when the wow FPS issues are gonna happen, but for whatever reason this ALWAYS fixes the problem for me.
I am having the same problems, and am becoming increasingly frustrated as my game is literally unplayable at this point.

I haven't been able to play since the last patch, and am a little mad that it is cutting into the time that I pay for. I'm hoping that some form of compensation is coming out of this, because otherwise it is literally throwing away money.

1. Since the 5.0.5 update.
2. All three.
3. 9 fps has been the highest I can get, every once in a while jumping to 11, then dropping down to around 7-8.
4. Immediately when starting the game.
5. I have done all of the steps, including a full reinstall to no avail.
6. http://pastebin.com/BedbqK8k
7. Both 32 and 64 bit clients.

System Information:
Software:

Time since boot: 7:13

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Displays:
Color LCD:

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
I reset the SMC and it resolved the issue for the most part for now. Why do we have to do this?
I read the instructions to reset the SMC but I don't understand it.

10/17/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Greif
I did that by turning off the computer, pressing SHIFT-CONTROL-OPTION-POWER and releasing them simultaneously (do not expect the computer to turn on). That fixed the problem. Apparently the System Management Controller can, under some circumstances, be corrupted when the laptop enters sleep mode.

Is the computer on or off? Some specific steps would be awesome!

And why does this have to be done? Is it messing up any of the integral OS files etc?
10/17/2012 04:41 PMPosted by Reckdum
I reset the SMC and it resolved the issue for the most part for now. Why do we have to do this?

I'm wondering the same thing.
@omegal

Are you saying older macs have better graphics cards than retina?

I'm not trying to turn on more than I can, I have sunshafts disabled, everything but particles is on low. And I'm playing at a lower Rez. Still getting 30fps. Something's wrong with wow. Not my computer.
I read the instructions to reset the SMC but I don't understand it.

I did that by turning off the computer, pressing SHIFT-CONTROL-OPTION-POWER and releasing them simultaneously (do not expect the computer to turn on). That fixed the problem. Apparently the System Management Controller can, under some circumstances, be corrupted when the laptop enters sleep mode.

Is the computer on or off? Some specific steps would be awesome!

And why does this have to be done? Is it messing up any of the integral OS files etc?

Why does it have to be done? I have no idea, but it works. The computer is off when you do it. No it doesn't mess up any files/OS etc.
1. When did this issue first start? (date or estimation of date if possible) I restarted with 5.05 so not really sure when it started for me.
2. Does the low FPS persist in Windowed, Fullscreen and Windowed mode? Yes.
3. What FPS are you experiencing in-game when this happens? I start at 9 if I shut everything to low I can get 15 or so.
4. When does the low FPS start? (immediately when starting the game, after 'X' time of gameplay, etc) Startup
5. Have you've done all the steps (including playtest with no addons installed) from our World of Warcraft Low Performance (Mac) support article? Yes.
6. Please post a copy of your config.wtf file on http://pastebin.com/ and link the url here. The config.wtf file is located in /Applications/World of Warcraft/WTF. This can be opened with TextEdit. http://pastebin.com/ZDiCsHVy
Note: Make sure to remove your Battle.net email address and any WoW user account names from the log.
7. Does this happen on the 32-bit client, 64-bit client, or both clients? Yes

2. Put World of Warcraft into Windowed Mode if it is not already in Windowed Mode.
3. From the system menu bar, select Help > Copy Support Information: http://i45.tinypic.com/foodww.png

Software:

Time since boot: 40 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Memory: 8 GB

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Displays:
Color LCD:

Other:

I had posted elsewhere but I'll add my info back here as well. Same issues as reported above. Same temporary fix with resetting SMC. A couple times the issue seemed to happen in a game session after the computer was put to sleep with the WoW client still running, but the last time I needed an SMC reset, that wasn't the case, so I can't say for sure but it doesn't surprise me that Sleep Mode could affect performance.

----

1. When did this issue first start? (date or estimation of date if possible)
Sometime in early September, 2012. Definitely not before 5.0.4 patch.

2. Does the low FPS persist in Windowed, Fullscreen and Windowed mode?
Yes.

3. What FPS are you experiencing in-game when this happens?
It probably bounces between 4-15 fps for the most part.

4. When does the low FPS start? (immediately when starting the game, after 'X' time of gameplay, etc)
Immediately.

5. Have you've done all the steps (including playtest with no addons installed) from our World of Warcraft Low Performance (Mac) support article?
Yes.

6. Please post a copy of your config.wtf file on http://pastebin.com/ and link the url here. The config.wtf file is located in /Applications/World of Warcraft/WTF. This can be opened with TextEdit.
http://pastebin.com/u4WuqkfY

7. Does this happen on the 32-bit client, 64-bit client, or both clients?
Both.

Software:

Time since boot: 3 days 3:17

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Displays:
Color LCD:

Other:

10/16/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Fatfree
Now the fan doesn't blow at all and even though I have solely switch to using only the dedicated card?

You have a serious problem and need to take it to apple store asap if fan isn't working

10/16/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Fatfree
Does WoW now not tell the system to activate the card anymore or something along those lines?

wow actually has no control over this. OS X determines how the hardware behaves or what hardware is used.

I'd suggest an SMC reset, if fans still don't work right, it could be a serious hardware problem that needs warrenty work asap.

10/18/2012 03:58 PMPosted by Adaon
couple times the issue seemed to happen in a game session after the computer was put to sleep

exactly. THIS is an OS X bug. do not use sleep. or if you do, restart before playing wow again. this is solely apples fault. as i mention many ties in this and other threads. 10.7 and 10.8 have a serious bug with sleep mode that causes opengl performance to degrade as much as 60+% after using sleep. regardless of mac or video card. Happens even on my mac pro. Monitor sleep is ok, hard disk spin down is ok. but as soon as you use full system sleep, performance of games or ANY opengl app really turns to crap. This issue has two work arounds. 1. Reboot. 2. Change resolution is OS X (not in game) and then change it back. these are the ONLY work arounds. the smc reset shoudln't even be nessesary as the reboot should suffice all on it's own for this sleep bug.

exactly. THIS is an OS X bug. do not use sleep. or if you do, restart before playing wow again. this is solely apples fault. as i mention many ties in this and other threads. 10.7 and 10.8 have a serious bug with sleep mode that causes opengl performance to degrade as much as 60+% after using sleep. regardless of mac or video card. Happens even on my mac pro. Monitor sleep is ok, hard disk spin down is ok. but as soon as you use full system sleep, performance of games or ANY opengl app really turns to crap. This issue has two work arounds. 1. Reboot. 2. Change resolution is OS X (not in game) and then change it back. these are the ONLY work arounds. the smc reset shoudln't even be nessesary as the reboot should suffice all on it's own for this sleep bug.

As an update of my own issue, it happened again today. A reboot did not work as a fix, but the SMC reset did. It may be caused by sleep, but this may be a different or variation on the bug you describe. I was glancing over at the Mac forums for the new Guild Wars 2 client, and there's similar talk of a performance hit fixed by an SMC reset, so while the two games may differ in terms of a native version vs a port, it seems like there's some issue introduced with 10.8.2, perhaps those old drivers you mentioned earlier or a new bug from the system update.