Paragon and the End of High-End

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
It's finally happening. For the first time since it started to matter, there is a real shot that most if not all of the major hard mode world firsts will be in 10 player.

As I type this, Paragon is relentlessly pushing their way through 10 player in search of some perverted, twisted version of a world first.

Sure, some will remain steadfast, assuring themselves that 25 player will always remain the end all and be all of these races, regardless of how badly Paragon can muck up the sport with their desperate ploy to retain relevance.

But I do wonder, what impact this inevitable and irreconcilable mix up will have on a competition already mired and tragically illegitimized by uneven region releases, bugged encounters, grey-area exploits and a community inhibiting need for secrecy.

I worry that this is perhaps the last straw, and that even the most dedicated top guilds will soon begin to decide that it is simply no longer worth all the trouble and sacrifice for an achievement that may not conclusively mean anything anymore.
tempted to download cogshanks, but this person wouldn't be that idiotic to post on their main account...

e: or would they?
I'm not secretly in some high end guild if thats what you're insinuating. I just like the world first race.
edit:yeah im the OP
but do you even participate it? or do you prefer watching 25 people on a youtube video rather than 10?
I don't see what's wrong with being a spectator.

I prefer watching 25 people in those youtube videos.
I don't see what's wrong with being a spectator.

fair enough. i wasn't dismissing this as being valid.

10/10/2012 06:41 AMPosted by Fuzzytime
I prefer watching 25 people in those youtube videos.

those videos will still be there. i just find it interesting that you wrote such a scathing diatribe over your preference for players in a video. I understand you think 25 is the harder format and thus deserves respect, but the game has been heading in this direction for a while and as far as world firsts are considered, the achievements are equal for both formats. you said it yourself that there will still be people who believe only the 25 man ones count. You can still be one of these people if you wish! :)
jack_black_stop.gif

no, really. just stop. ONE GUILD being 10-man now in no way ends world-first progression. it doesn't. sure, they might be good, but they in no way control the entire game.
If they decide the race isn't worth it anymore, then fine. They're only a small population of the game, and what they do is never going to have any impact on us, especially since most of where we get our raid strats and our theorycrafting from aren't anywhere close to being a guild like Paragon. The only impact of those really high end players leaving would be us losing the L2R videos, nobody comes close to matching his explanation of fight mechanics and stuff, they're really great for getting ideas on how to deal with mechanics that are holding you up.
Op needs to learn Finnish and apply to paragon. In fact, make a reality tv show out of it, we could all use a good laugh.
10/10/2012 07:16 AMPosted by Tsilyi
I understand you think 25 is the harder format and thus deserves respect, but the game has been heading in this direction for a while and as far as world firsts are considered, the achievements are equal for both formats.

Not always harder, but always more grand and captivating.

10/10/2012 09:43 AMPosted by Xiic
Op needs to learn Finnish and apply to paragon. In fact, make a reality tv show out of it, we could all use a good laugh.

And perhaps all sports fans should be required to join the major leagues before they dare utter a word of commentary.
10/10/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Aldiara
If they decide the race isn't worth it anymore, then fine. They're only a small population of the game, and what they do is never going to have any impact on us, especially since most of where we get our raid strats and our theorycrafting from aren't anywhere close to being a guild like Paragon. The only impact of those really high end players leaving would be us losing the L2R videos, nobody comes close to matching his explanation of fight mechanics and stuff, they're really great for getting ideas on how to deal with mechanics that are holding you up.

The top guilds add a lot of depth to this game for me. Its a large part of what drew me in to the game, and motivates to play better, even if I'll never be that good.
for the last time...10mans don't race against 25mans.
10/10/2012 09:13 AMPosted by Hoxton
no, really. just stop. ONE GUILD being 10-man now in no way ends world-first progression. it doesn't. sure, they might be good, but they in no way control the entire game.

It doesn't, it just proves that the good players excel in either format.

It's not a coincidence that one of the best 25 mans in the world going 10, kept them as some of the top players in the world.
It's finally happening. For the first time since it started to matter, there is a real shot that most if not all of the major hard mode world firsts will be in 10 player.

As I type this, Paragon is relentlessly pushing their way through 10 player in search of some perverted, twisted version of a world first.

Sure, some will remain steadfast, assuring themselves that 25 player will always remain the end all and be all of these races, regardless of how badly Paragon can muck up the sport with their desperate ploy to retain relevance.

But I do wonder, what impact this inevitable and irreconcilable mix up will have on a competition already mired and tragically illegitimized by uneven region releases, bugged encounters, grey-area exploits and a community inhibiting need for secrecy.

I worry that this is perhaps the last straw, and that even the most dedicated top guilds will soon begin to decide that it is simply no longer worth all the trouble and sacrifice for an achievement that may not conclusively mean anything anymore.

Leaders of Paragon had already said that 10 man shouldn't be grouped with 25 man, because it's easier. The race is still on.
Paragon went 10 man because it is hard to recruit Finnish speaking players.
10/10/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Ipman
Paragon went 10 man because it is hard to recruit Finnish speaking players.

Thank you.
When a large portion of your 25 man core steps away from the game finally, good luck finding equivalent, or better, players.
Your only real solution is to drop to 10man.
Which is exactly what they did.
Crap happens, get over it. Just because they aren't 25man anymore, doesn't mean they aren't competition and what not.