Just The Hunter and His Pet - Soloing Guide

Hunter
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
10/05/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Azii
A useful technique is to pop stampede if you pet dies. Stampede still works and your stampeded pets will pull agro long enough for you to rez you pet.
Ah, I had not thought of this! I'll be sure to include that. Thank you!
If you are, or have access to a leather worker, Drums of Forgotten Kings is definitely worth taking with you. Runescroll of Fortitude II is another good buff if you have access to inscription.
I personally tend not to bother with agi pots unless there's a really tight enrage timer. I find saving the cd for a heal pot is more important (unless the fight is trivial, in which case no pot either way.)
A good trick to "pre-pot" in a sense is summon your wolf, cast crit buff, summon cat, cast agi buff, summon turtle, pull. If you do it relatively smoothly you can start the encounter with ~45-50 sec of +crit and ~55 sec of +agi.
Anything challenging I do in MM for chimera heals, again unless there's an enrage timer pushing me. I know you mentioned Heavy Windwool Bandage already, but I would like to say that first aid is the most under-rated skill in the game, and bandages are HUGE for soloing damage heavy instances. Exhilaration is hands down the winner in that talent tier. Heal, baby, heal!
There are a LOT of good tricks in the engineering playbook, I really should drop skinning for it... but yeah.
Best advice I ever got about playing a hunter was to bind pet movement to the mouse wheel and keep it on passive. Roll up to attack(go), down to go passive(come), click in for "move to" reticle. It took a while to get used to , but I can't imagine doing it any other way now. I even bound my lock and DK pets like that. Scroll up is as instinctive to do at the start of a fight as hunter's mark (both can be and are done at the same time.) This is also a VERY good idea for PvP, where some classes can heal themselves beating on your pet.

That's all I can think of right now. Might be back with more, as I know I have more tips to offer. There are some fun fights in MoP. I downed Wise Mari at lvl86 with no gear upgrades but a ring. You can be a badass if you learn all your abilities, and all theirs. Look at any boss in the game with the thought "I wonder if my turtle can survive that..."
Thanks boat, I should have mentioned making use of the other pet buffs (I've done so in previous soloing videos of mine), so I'll update the guide to include that.

The reason why I didn't include the kings/fort buffs was because I wasn't sure yet if there were MoP versions or such, but I'll also update it for that as well!

10/05/2012 04:52 PMPosted by Boatdrinks
There are a LOT of good tricks in the engineering playbook
Agreed, I didn't make a specific section for all of the profs however due to not everyone having access to those abilities. When I have time I may update the guide to include all of the profs and their benefits.

that first aid is the most under-rated skill in the game,
I completely agree. It has saved my life MANY times.

Exhilaration is hands down the winner in that talent tier. Heal, baby, heal!
I'm actually trying out spirit bond atm, and I can see spirit bond being better in several situations. I think it's a fight by fight thing, as the full heal on your pet from exhil is amazing.
Why can't I hold all these stickies
Lazy, have you tried to solo the cat boss in ZG? I know there was a vid of a guy doing it at 85 so it shouldn't be too hard at 90.... i hope
10/05/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Solojoe
Lazy, have you tried to solo the cat boss in ZG? I know there was a vid of a guy doing it at 85 so it shouldn't be too hard at 90.... i hope

it's extremely easy. i've been doing it daily since 87...

I go as bm use and ferocity spec'd spirit beast. I camo past her and los in the back of the room behind pillar. I send my pet in and it solos her down with kill command and when she tears of blood i throw mend pet up then back to los. When the roof falls then i run to the wall and feign the cats back into the stables... then blow cds and burn her down making sure mend pet is up. worst case scenario heart of the pheonix if the pet dies. super easy!
Did what you said and it worked perfect lol easy kill
10/05/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Solojoe
I have not, but I can only assume it's easy considering I was able to handle heroic morchok with no problem.

10/05/2012 07:29 PMPosted by Irwinn
I go as bm use and ferocity spec'd spirit beast. I camo past her and los in the back of the room behind pillar. I send my pet in and it solos her down with kill command and when she tears of blood i throw mend pet up then back to los. When the roof falls then i run to the wall and feign the cats back into the stables... then blow cds and burn her down making sure mend pet is up. worst case scenario heart of the pheonix if the pet dies. super easy!
This also seems to be a working strat :P
Finally got around to putting in that other update for the pet section like I said I would (been busy with school + work and forgot to getting around to it!)

As a note, eventually when I have the time to get around to it I'll be updating the guide some more to make it slightly more organized / neater.
reported for sticky!

just to throw this out there... solo'd 25 man 3 drake os. straight up zerg... ignore adds and pray you get it down before second drake lands. used bm with ferocity sped'd spirit beast after lusting before the pull with corehound. the dps req was very tight i had a few -5% wipes. it was a lot of fun to do. 10 man should be an absolute joke.

also solo'd ony 25 today instead of 10... nothing different.. just a lot longer. I did this as SV with ferocity spec'd cat. if you stand in the back of the room you can feign death off the big adds.

and facerolled sunwell... a lot easier to do at 90. no real tips outside you can skip all the trash but the first pull after the patting robot and try to kill felmyst before an air phase.

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=20 Bestial Wrath, Blood Fury, Kill Command, Dire Beast, Lynx Rush, Rapid Fire, Arcane Shot, Arcane Shot, Arcane Shot, Kill Command, Readiness, Kill Command, Bestial Wrath, Dire Beast, Lynx Rush

^I use this macro to help with massive burst/zerg phase fights.

hope this helps!
Are all pets the same as in DPS wise? i grped with a hunter Bm spec and his pet was doing way more dps then mine, cant seen to fix it
All pets are the same DPS wise. The only factors that change their dps is the talent spec you choose and any bonus ability they might have.

I am just starting a hunter (as you can see) purely to see what I can solo. At present without many abilities available to me it is challenging but still fun! I took down the lvl 20 Counterattack challenge in Barrens solo at lvl 17, which was cool!

One thing I am looking forward to trying is popping Exhiliration to fully heal pet and then Last Stand to take their HP to 130% normal. This not only gives you pet super HP, but if you cast mend pet then, it mends for more because their HP is higher!

Can anyone comment on the use of traps? There wasn't much said about them in the guide. Does freezing trap work on any bosses? What are the preferred traps to use?
Can anyone comment on the use of traps? There wasn't much said about them in the guide. Does freezing trap work on any bosses? What are the preferred traps to use?
I can elaborate more on this in the guide if need be, but I'll quickly post about it here.

For almost all raid bosses (I can't think of any off the top of my head) the actual boss will not be effected by your freezing trap, and chances are they will not be effected by your ice trap either. Typically most bosses aren't effected by slows, which makes the use of snake trap nearly worthless as well.

The only time traps are really useful are when there are adds. When the adds can be effected by slows, ice trap will be your best friend. If there's a ton of AOE needed, a preset explosive trap can also be helpful, although if it's not already down you'll be doing more damage by just spamming multishot.

Freezing trap is nice for fights where there are only a few adds that should not be AOE'd down, and who can also be effected by CC.

10/12/2012 11:17 PMPosted by Irwinn
reported for sticky!
Thank you sir!

10/14/2012 08:40 PMPosted by Kinuven
Are all pets the same as in DPS wise? i grped with a hunter Bm spec and his pet was doing way more dps then mine, cant seen to fix it
As Ganjin stated, pets are currently only effected by their spec / BM mastery.

Anyway, hope this information helps clarify any points I wasn't clear on earlier.
Good post

Tried Sunwell last night, it is a joke now, most mechanics can be blatantly ignored.

Going to try OS 3 and keep plugging away at Ony for the mount.
Im sure this is old, but I just put it together this weekend. Here is a macro I am using for misdirect, glaive toss/barrage/

Make your pet your focus
/target focus
/cast misdirection
/assist
/cast glaive toss

Since MD is free, it just makes it easier to 1 click a misdirect and damage ability. Works well in dungeons too.
Im sure this is old, but I just put it together this weekend. Here is a macro I am using for misdirect, glaive toss/barrage/

Make your pet your focus
/target focus
/cast misdirection
/assist
/cast glaive toss

Since MD is free, it just makes it easier to 1 click a misdirect and damage ability. Works well in dungeons too.
Ty for touching up on this! I should add a useful macro section the guide, I'll post my MD macro here real fast.

#showtooltip Misdirection
/cast [@focus,help][help][@pet,exists] Misdirection

That will allow you to always MD your pet without it being targeted, or if you have a focus target that it can be applied to it will apply it to them instead.
Thanks great guide! Any links to vids of you doing some of the harder solo raids? That would be great!
Lots of text... Just tell everyone that if they're doing solo content all they need is a Turtle + Mend.
Sticky has been requested I am gonna try and solo some deadmines on my lvl 15 hunter I wil let everyone know how it goes tonight :D
10/19/2012 08:21 AMPosted by Ferretns
Thanks great guide! Any links to vids of you doing some of the harder solo raids? That would be great!
I'll leave some videos of some of the harder content / channels.

I'll also be updating to add a macro section soon, logging into check my own current macros I've been using, so if anyone has any they'd like to see added after I've updated it please feel free to say so!

10/19/2012 09:07 AMPosted by Sardorim
Lots of text... Just tell everyone that if they're doing solo content all they need is a Turtle + Mend.
There's a lot more it than that.