Just The Hunter and His Pet - Soloing Guide

Hunter
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
Updated the guide some more. Let me know of any other information that I should add!
Bump
Why was this thread reported//Who did it? :(
Back to the top to be made a sticky!!
Thanks for the bump guys, still hoping this gets stickied for those who need it!

10/30/2012 01:24 AMPosted by Earthroot
Why was this thread reported//Who did it? :(
I've found that often if a thread is requested for sticky it shows the reported sign.
Who the heck would report the OP for this post...the only thing I could suspect is a non hunter or the hunter's pets that realize that they are about Wh0red out and used as meat shields.

Thanks for the post.

Requested a sticky.
Good write up. Some thing you could consider adding is explaining to people the trial account level 1 character with macro trick to easily get a raid group.

Also I'd like to add I recently got High Priestess Kilnara down in ZG (to farm tiger mount), I used to think this was a difficult fight due to her high damage, but I discovered you can just pop in and out of LoS and she won't attack you so much. Very easy.

Unfortunately Blood Lord seems impossible for me. I can't time the snake traps right.
11/01/2012 10:56 PMPosted by Iol
Good write up. Some thing you could consider adding is explaining to people the trial account level 1 character with macro trick to easily get a raid group.
I was considering adding that, but as of 5.1 when that hits we will no longer need a raid group to get into old raid content, and I highly doubt we'll be soloing any of the mop raid bosses (but hey, I was amazed with atramedes so you never know).

Also I'd like to add I recently got High Priestess Kilnara down in ZG (to farm tiger mount), I used to think this was a difficult fight due to her high damage, but I discovered you can just pop in and out of LoS and she won't attack you so much. Very easy.
Grats on that man :D

Unfortunately Blood Lord seems impossible for me. I can't time the snake traps right.
Sadly add ons such as DBM can't help due to the timers getting messy. I think it's about once every 30 sec it's supposed to happen? Could be wrong though, it's something that you have to play around with some to get the hang of it. Hope you do get it!

With that note, I should get around to making a useful add on section when I have the time.

Who the heck would report the OP for this post...the only thing I could suspect is a non hunter or the hunter's pets that realize that they are about Wh0red out and used as meat shields.

Thanks for the post.

Requested a sticky.
Thanks for the request! It was probably the pets who reported me. Probably. Actually, as I stated earlier sometimes if you request for a sticky in a thread it shows the OP as being reported. I'm not entirely sure on the reason why but that's been my observation from past threads.
Bumping for great justice!
I went to request a sticky for this thread, and then found that I HAD ALREADY DONE SO WEEKS AGO. Since then, though, a ton of stuff I hadn't thought to use (Stampede as cover for Revive Pet, for instance) has been added that are SUPER helpful. I just wish I had more free time to try out all of this stuff!
I appreciate the time, effort and research you put into this thread but dont forget to mention soloing old content ( for example BWL ) is pointless now UNLESS the hunter is trying for the following.

1.Transmog gear
2.To see if you can solo a place
3.Certain items other than transmog gear, such as a mount

Gold used to be included in this list but they heavily nerfed the gold in all old instances. For example I used to solo BWL for the gold and vendoring of the drops. I would come out of there with about 1500 gold. Which wasnt bad for 30 or so minutes of work. Now each boss drops about 5 gold each.

With the removal of the cap on dailies you can make more money than you can with old instances. Not hating, just stating. I LOVE soloing old content btw but you might want to add this to your guide.
Been doing quite a bit of soloing 5 mans in MOP and found survival is quite good depending on the fight. If getting adds down quickly to keep your pet alive is the trick, it can be the way to go.

Also, pretty easy to farm ZG for the mounts if you collect.
I appreciate the time, effort and research you put into this thread but dont forget to mention soloing old content ( for example BWL ) is pointless now UNLESS the hunter is trying for the following.

1.Transmog gear
2.To see if you can solo a place
3.Certain items other than transmog gear, such as a mount

Gold used to be included in this list but they heavily nerfed the gold in all old instances. For example I used to solo BWL for the gold and vendoring of the drops. I would come out of there with about 1500 gold. Which wasnt bad for 30 or so minutes of work. Now each boss drops about 5 gold each.

With the removal of the cap on dailies you can make more money than you can with old instances. Not hating, just stating. I LOVE soloing old content btw but you might want to add this to your guide.
I appreciate the feedback Raygar, I'll add on to the guide a bit when I have a free moment (been incredibly busy with school/work this past month, haven't had time to play even!), it is a valid point that probably should be addressed. You can still make decent money at it by selling the drops, but not nearly as much compared to say, dailies.

11/12/2012 02:31 PMPosted by Beatrice
I went to request a sticky for this thread, and then found that I HAD ALREADY DONE SO WEEKS AGO. Since then, though, a ton of stuff I hadn't thought to use (Stampede as cover for Revive Pet, for instance) has been added that are SUPER helpful. I just wish I had more free time to try out all of this stuff!
I really wish they would sticky this thread already lol. I know several people have requested sticky so idk what the issue is! XD. Thanks for the thoughts though!

Been doing quite a bit of soloing 5 mans in MOP and found survival is quite good depending on the fight. If getting adds down quickly to keep your pet alive is the trick, it can be the way to go.

Also, pretty easy to farm ZG for the mounts if you collect.
I should probably elaborate more on surv when I have time. It does do well in AOE situations as you said, I personally still find it to be the least effective in terms of soloing although it does have its place. Thanks for your input!
Bump for good info. Would req sticky again if I could. Why hunters no get no stickies?
Lazy- any comment on your own builds and which you use in what situation?
11/14/2012 09:21 AMPosted by Ranoch
Lazy- any comment on your own builds and which you use in what situation?
Sure, I can elaborate on it a bit for now.

Each fight you should try to assess what you believe will be most optimal for the fight. With that said, I do have a build that is my "normal" go to build.

Talents - For talents I normally run CTHC (crouching tiger, hidden chimera), Silencing Shot, Spirit Bond, Thrill of the Hunt, Lynx Rush, and Glaive Toss.

The reason I run this build as my go to build is because in almost every situation, this build will provide enough sustain for both me and the pet, utility, and ease of use. For several fights I'd also like to think this build is the most optimal, as I've found glaive toss does the most damage for single target DPS for the last tier. Barrage is a good choice for fights that require heavy AOE, and I personally would just flat out avoid Power Shot.

Thrill of the Hunt is a very safe talent choice simply because you have one less ability to worry about managing with an already clunky rotation, and it can really allow you to do some decent consistent damage due to the high proc chance, so even if you're OOF (out of focus) you can still do damage. Fervor is good for fights where heavy burst phases are needed. I personally avoid Dire Beast simply because I find it awkward to use with my current rotation as well as the fact that pets can't always stay on target.

I like to choose Lynx Rush often, mostly because I play BM. LR is nice in that it's a long CD so I don't have to worry about it ruining my rotation, gives the pet heavy agro, and lines up with my CDs nicely. Next patch I'll probably go blink strike however due to LRs incoming nerf, changing it into a bleed. I personally do not like MoC, but it's not a bad option and won't really harm you if you choose it. It's a great choice for MM / Surv.
Spirit Bond, at least in my opinion, is the best choice for the survival tier. This tier is also incredibly fight dependent however. For any fight where I need to try to maximize consistent heals on the pet, and possibly myself, then I take spirit bond. I find for a lot of fights where I'd need to push my limits, Spirit Bond is probably the safest choice due to not having to worry about activating it at the right moment unlike Exhilaration, but helps both you and your pet.

With that said, for any fight where the boss will damage just you and ignore the pet (Lady Deathwhisper is a great example), where keeping the pet health up is largely a non-issue, then Iron Hawk is the best choice. For fights where you can push your mend pet healing consistent damage to the max and have to watch out for burst phases / something ALWAYS hits like a truck (so mechanics similar to Yor'shajj in Dragon Soul when he has yellow buff), Exhilaration is a great way to save your pet and give yourself some health returns. This talent is probably the riskiest though if you're BM due to not having any self heals outside of bandages or if you're using a spirit beast (which means you lose out on turtle's Shell Shield).

For the tier two I almost always have silencing shot. This tier is the most fight dependent, although I've very rarely found any use out of Wyvern Sting and Binding shot is clunky, doesn't work on bosses, and is very situational (so it's good on fights such as Gothik the Harvester). Silencing Shot is great because it's off the GCD, and for fights where there are spells that you MUST interrupt, you will be able to do so.

The first tier is probably one of the most balanced tiers in terms of soloing. I personally choose CTHC due to the decreased CD on deterrence which allows more room for error, however Post Haste is another great option for any fight where high mobility is a must. Narrow Escape is a bit more situational, but it's good for any fight where there are lots of adds that can be CC'd (Again, Gothik The Harvester, Lady Deathwhisper, and I'm pretty sure it works on Ohgan during the Raptor Boss fight in ZG).

Glyphs - The glyphs I've found to be relatively more static compared to talents. In about 95% of situations, my glyph choice is the same either because it is the most optimal for keeping my pet alive, or I out level the encounter to the point where glyph choices don't really matter so much.

With that said, my go to glyphs are Misdirection, Mending, Animal Bond, Direction, Revive Pet, and Cheetah.

Normally, the only difference I personally make is for any fight where dispels on the tank are needed (like Maexxna from Nax), then I go glyph of mend pet over animal bond.

Anyway, hope this helps!
Im a first time hunter and at a level were i can call another companion pet was wondering wat would be the best choice for a second pet and were to find one ?
Im a first time hunter and at a level were i can call another companion pet was wondering wat would be the best choice for a second pet and were to find one?
Welcome to playing your hunter! Hope you enjoy it!

At level 18 you should be able to acquire your second pet slot for your call pet 2.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#Ya!202220!bgWJkS

That link is a talent calculator, on the left hand side you can see abilities you can learn and such all the way up to level 90, and at what levels you'll learn each ability.

Your pet choice entirely depends on what you're looking to do, for leveling it won't make a huge difference on which pet you get, however each pet provides either a buff that certain classes can bring, or some form of utility ability. All pets can be any spec, and they all do the same damage with the only difference being their abilities and specs (ferocity being the damage spec). I recommend checking out pettopia, as it's incredibly helpful for helping new and old hunters alike find which pet is best for them, and where to find it.

http://www.wow-petopia.com/

Hope this helps!
Made an update to the Macro Section of the guide, will continue to make updates.
GREAT GUIDE!!! for lower levels, I recommend a bear / goretusk for the pet; great tank ability, esp. for BM. Then, when high enough, go to turtle...as you say, "best for tanking on the BM track".