Upcoming Reputation Changes

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 4 5 6 89 Next
10/04/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Arixan
  • The Revered character earns double reputation as he or she works toward Exalted

• Curious why you would implement it this way instead of simply cutting in half the amount of rep needed to reach Exalted. Would the effect not be the same in the end?

Because then the second character would get double the xp still and it'll only be half the rep.
    Why in a future patch? I hope it isn't "weeks", because by then I'll be exalted anyways for the most part x.x
    If getting rep past Revered is going to be doubled no matter what, why not just cut the rep required to go from revered to exalted in half? Wouldn't that be easier on your end, and accomplish the same thing?
    Double rep gain during Revered -> Exalted is too much. Take that part out and it's good.
    10/04/2012 10:32 AMPosted by Taurous
    If getting rep past Revered is going to be doubled no matter what, why not just cut the rep required to go from revered to exalted in half? Wouldn't that be easier on your end, and accomplish the same thing?

Because then the second character would get double the xp still and it'll only be half the rep.
    I think this solution is a step in the right direction, but still not all the way there. This lowers the amount of dailies you have to grind on alts, but it still amounts to the same thing - grinding dailies are the only way to get reputation with the MoP factions, and if dailies aren't your thing, tough luck.

My solution to reputation would be to allow a character who is revered with a faction to purchase a BoA tabard from that faction that grants reputation gains from dungeons. That way, you only grind the dailies once, and from there, if you enjoy dailies, cool - you can still get rep that way. But if not, you at least have the option of taking the tabard and going into heroics to get the reputation you want.
    It's definitely an improvement over the current system so in that regard thank you for meeting us part way on this topic. Long term though the only way to truely resolve the problem with these rep grinds to make rep account wide. You've made getting guild rep eaiser, you're now looking to make it easier for mains and alts to get rep, please consider taking the next (logical?) step.

Doesn't matter how you slice it - dailies/grinds aren't fun
    I have to think that the strange bit (doubling the main's revered --> exalted rep gains) is because the reputation buff would be applied to the entire account rather than to individual characters. If it were not, then there would be people complaining that their alt, who was just short of revered when the main hit revered, had passed their main in the rep grind.

The part that I'm mostly wondering about is when is the planned release of this change. A future patch is all well and good, but the problem exists now, today. If this gets released when the next raiding tier comes out, there's no point to have bothered doing it at all before the next expansion. It will make the alt grind faster, but only in the sense that the alts will be able to grind meaningless rep with less trouble.

If it's not in the very near future, like the next month, or maybe two, at most, then the only good it will do is to let alts ride cloud serpents.
    Could this double rep -not- boost the rep loss for aldor/scryer and frenzyheart/oracles? I would -love- to get both aldor and scryer / frenzyheart and oracles exalted at the same time on one character.
    Great news! Ofc I want it ASAP.

I guess my only feedback is a typical suggestion where Blizzard solutions tend to be binary - alts get a benefit or they don't. I would prefer something that reflects that not all alts are created equal. E.g., heirlooms are great but the first alt and the tenth alt get the same bonus. If 35% is the right number for the first alt, I think the sixth alt going through outlands could use more than 35%. I.e. the sixth alt "deserves" a bigger benefit: i.e. I wish you would give #6 a big boost without having to give it for #2.

So here I wish the second or third or sixth alt got a bit more of a boost than the first, even if it meant scaling back the first. E.g. 0/150/250/300 is a bit more nuanced than 0/200/200/200... But 0/200/250/300/350 works for me :-)

TYVM!

P.S.: IMO, SWTOR Legacy is a great idea. I get to play the toon I want and it benefits everyone on that account. The game is rewarding play.
    Translation: You still have to do two hours of dailies per character per day, but you don't have to do it for as many days now!
    Solid changes except I'm not a fan of double rep from revered to Exalted for the main character - GC said he wanted to make Exalted to feel like Exalted again. The only saving grace is that the reputation grind does take some time but I will miss the idea of 3 weeks of steady work to get to exalted.
    It's funny that they made going from Revered to Exalted easier than going from Honored to Revered (10500 vs. 12000).

What about having the "X Exalted Reputations" achievement account wide? I'm not asking for rep to be account wide, I'm asking for our characters overall different reputations to be counted. I don't see the downside to doing this...
    Why nerf exalted? The change to alts is nice, but the exalted nerf seems unnecessary, especially most of the exalted rewards are just mounts.
    this is going to be really nice, i was worried about how much time it would take me to rep up with my monk after my pally hits all the factions that interest her (most of them >.>).
    The alt reputation bonus is nice but, c'mon... double reptuation for your main after hitting Revered? That's taking it a bit too far.

Leave the alt bonus in. Do not alter the grind for the first toon from Revered -> Exalted. Your opening statement just solidifies my suggestion:

Earning reputation with various factions has long been an important part to World of Warcraft...

I appreciate the attention to the players wanting alts to be recognized and aided but do not go overboard. The main should still farm rep as intended without being "nerfed".
    It's funny that they made going from Revered to Exalted easier than going from Honored to Revered (10500 vs. 12000).

What about having the "X Exalted Reputations" achievement account wide? I'm not asking for rep to be account wide, I'm asking for our characters overall different reputations to be counted. I don't see the downside to doing this...

revered is where you get access to the valor stuff, which is what most people are probably gunning for. exalted is for vanity stuffs, so it's perhaps a bit better that there's a rep gain bonus for people going the extra mile to get to maximum rep.
    This news is actually making me really depressed. It means the double grind is here to stay.

Sigh. There's so much I love about WoW, but it seems like every expansion Blizzard has to make at least one bad design decision that almost completely ruins it for me. I wish I could take all the artists, composers, lore-writers, and class designers and decouple them from whoever thought that locking valor point gear -- which already requires a fairly large time investment to acquire -- behind a massive rep grind was a good idea.

Must we always wait for the final patch of an expansion for the game to actually play well?

10/04/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Absum
    See I disagree with this full heartedly. I think the rep gear isn't that great in the first place. The rewards for grinding are good but not "do or die". Will it help you get gear faster and help with raiding yes. Do you have to do it or not raid at all? No. You can raid in heroic gear and the gear from heroics are probably not that much worse. I'm pretty sure I understand what your saying; I'm just not sure it really has to be done.

"Rep or die" might be hyperbole; so was "raid or die," but both slogans draw attention to the issue that exists. Yes, we don't have to do these things, but we're severely penalized for not doing so. The issue isn't so much that we don't have a choice, but that the choice puts us between a rock and a hard place.

For example, you can't get into LFR unless you have full 463 gear (which requires absurd good luck with RNG and extensive grinding), or you have a couple of epics. Epics are very hard to come by right now, and valor gear is one of the very few ways to get it.

Also, it's been said many times, but RNG is a female dog, and some of us just don't share Blizzard's enchantment with relying on random drops for gear. Point gear is incredibly powerful because it provides a degree freedom from RNG, and that means it will always feel as if you've severely gimped your progression if you don't get it.

Not to mention the fact that my personal endgame has always revolved around collecting points to spend on gear. I wouldn't know what to do at endgame without them. I'd probably just give up and play something else.

So yes, I can choose not to rep grind, but I probably won't enjoy the game very much if I don't.