Monk PVP

Monk
Prev 1 3 4 5 12 Next
Windwalkers are complete garbage in pvp I'm 90 and just got ganked by an 87 blood dk. He had no pvp gear on save for the trinket and i have legs and belt pvp gear on. By the time I damaged through his blood shield he had me at ~50% hp. i leg sweeped and used chi wave and expel harm to heal up then went back to getting raped some more the whole time he was at 100% hp bc i couldn't do enough damage to break through his blood shield before he would just death strike a new one on. I used every cd i had, and every ability i could muster including using Xuen to help me damage him and chi wave on cd and expel harm constantly to heal. I looked him up in armory and he is in 404 blues with his cata pvp trinket and I'm in 463 heroic blues with the crafted legs and the 483 belt from Sha of Anger. This is ridiculous. If I can't beat an ally 3 lvs lower then max how am I supposed to go against 90's in full pvp gear??!?!?!?!?

Monks are great at PvE but worthless in PvP

You're doing something wrong DK's are one of the classes I find easier to take down. If you're making proper use of ToK and Fortifying Brew along with difuse magic or dispelling diseases you won't have problems.

That right there should tell you what you're doing wrong.

I don't have any games because this is my first character. Purchased the game a few weeks back and got the digital download on a great deal.

You have gladiator yet throw out these crazy claims all the while the proof you have to show for it is being 4-7 in 3v3? Really?

How in the hell does a gladiator do so poorly?

here you go troll, now go away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-436SM4Rkxw

But you soloed two DKs and everyone else is garbage because they're losing! Yet here you are, making excuses for why you lose.

You're a *supposed* gladiator and yet have a horrendous record. Then you go out of your way to call another poster bad but you yourself can't even get 50% win ration in 3s. When called out you post a video dated two months ago which has no relevance to today all the while avoiding the issue of yourself being actually less then average.

Also is there some trick to never getting a personal rating higher than 1750 but achieving gladiator title? I'm actually confused by this?
practically unkiteable against ranged

Lol?

have a long lockdown chain against healers

Fists of Fury and potentially Leg Sweep constitute a long lockdown chain?

a lot of tricks for dealing with melee

Only thing that's remotely close to actuality.

i have literally never been kited 1v1. having a spammable root, 2 rolls, a root break with 70% sprint, long distance roots from spinning fire blossom, a snare/root reversal from diffuse magic, and the almighty serpent kick, i just don't even know how any ranged can kite you.

as for lockdown, you forgot about the silence on spear hand strike. if you're having trouble landing it from the front, just chain it on after a stun (but honestly i dont usually find it hard to land as an opener on an unstunned player). SHS is a 15 second cooldown, which is just amazing. the best part about this lockdown chain is that, unlike a rogue, you don't have to open with it. you can wait until you've got maximum burst build up - 3 stacks of tiger palm, a blackout kick proc, 4 chi, tigerseye brew stacks, RSK and chi brew off cooldown - then unload. so rather than start the lockdown on a healer with full life when you have no burst built up, you can wait till he's missing life and you're ready to explode.

against melee: you have touch of karma, which is straight OP. you have sparring and high dodge. you have tons of healing. you have the ability to kite easily. you have a disarm. you have multiple stuns, and an incapacitate to make sure that your stuns land. you have swift reflexes (which does much more damage than its tooltip says). you can even fight some classes at range. i cant even tell you how many times i've rofled at a warrior by just snaring them and rolling out of charges, then popping tigerseye brew, spamming 4 spinning fire blossoms, popping chi brew and spamming more blossoms until they die. it's not even fair.
WW pvp you have a ranged snare try useing it. Not to many people move outa its way. You have a talent that takes magic effects off of you that should help with some CC. WW not the best pvp class but im loving it so far and touch of karma put that on and who care if you can keep up with the mage or hunter hes killing him self with every hit.
10/06/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Mistfallen
I also have gladiator, and you don't have any arena games. Why don't you go mess around in arena and get 1 shot by hunter/arms teams. Oh wait, you aren't max level and don't pvp

You do know that account wide achievements make lies like this easy to disprove.
Rival =/= Glad

Either way you have more experience than me, but lying about what you've done isn't very good.
Hmm... so if I filter out the arguments and the whining, it sounds like I should avoid Windwalker and go with Mistweaver if I want to PvP decently at the moment... PvP Healing always was more fun and dangerous, what with that "Healers Must Die!" add-on.

I wonder how my Brewmaster would handle in a PvP situation. My interrupt is free, and when people group up, I can easily Debuff them all thanks to all my beer. Plus we have all those defensive boosts.

Any Brewmaster testers so far?
brewmaster pvp is where its at.

WW takes too much damage
You're Doing It Wrong.
10/07/2012 10:33 AMPosted by Thundèr
You're Doing It Wrong.

Do you even play this game?
mistweaver here, broke 2k twice so far this xpac in 3's, we are not broken.
10/08/2012 10:08 PMPosted by Stallion
mistweaver here, broke 2k twice so far this xpac in 3's, we are not broken.

Nice to see that healing is viable in arenas, but WW is not. Repeat of my shaman, pigeon-holed into healing yet again for pvp. :(
Worst class in pvp in every category...
I only do pvp when not focused on raiding, but I've actually enjoyed WW in bgs and a small number of arena matches.

I do take quite a bit of damage, but I've been able to escape some very rough situations. We have quite a few buttons to hit, and some like Touch of Karma and Diffuse Magic are great for holding off a group while reinforcements arrive.

I do have one question regarding brew monks. Why do those that choose to play brewmaster in pvp get shafted on 2-set bonus? At least DK/Warrior/Druids get some use from the bonus their gear provides. Am I missing something?
you all have to remember that this is a new class. Blizz didn't want another DK epidemic where Monks were waay OP. I think we got tuned down a little too much though.

I do agree that its not the strongest class in the game, but I don't think WW is as awful as ppl are making it out to be. I am still figuring the class out, but my DK and rogue are going to be on the back burner this season. I love WW PvP, and i will wait till i am fully geared and get a couple arenas in before i complain too much....
Played a few games as WW with an ex-disc now shadow priest and a pally in 3v3.

Considering it's my first season on Monk and and his on Shadow I think we're doing pretty well. Climbing nicely and 18-6 to 1930cr(I started at the default mmr since it's a monk) in our first day.

People will likely say shadow op and is carrying me. This may be true but my partner is not the best at it yet. I can't think of how many mistakes we both make (people frequently die without void swap going off due to him forgetting it exists, and I often will forget where my transcendence clone is and swap to terrible places). But at least for now I'm constantly out damaging him by at least 200-500k every game and significantly more when he gets focused.

That said we're all pretty experienced at arena in general so we'll see what happens going forward. Do I think our comp is rank 1 viable? Probably not...I think it would work better with a warrior personally(until those stun dr's get nerfed). Do I think it is glad viable? Certainly so, even against the plethora of melee cleaves and spriest/mage at the higher mmrs.
Just out of curiosity, how are the keybinds/button quantity? They look surprisingly numerous when I watched a vid or two.
Played a few games as WW with an ex-disc now shadow priest and a pally in 3v3.

Considering it's my first season on Monk and and his on Shadow I think we're doing pretty well. Climbing nicely and 18-6 to 1930cr(I started at the default mmr since it's a monk) in our first day.

People will likely say shadow op and is carrying me. This may be true but my partner is not the best at it yet. I can't think of how many mistakes we both make (people frequently die without void swap going off due to him forgetting it exists, and I often will forget where my transcendence clone is and swap to terrible places). But at least for now I'm constantly out damaging him by at least 200-500k every game and significantly more when he gets focused.

That said we're all pretty experienced at arena in general so we'll see what happens going forward. Do I think our comp is rank 1 viable? Probably not...I think it would work better with a warrior personally(until those stun dr's get nerfed). Do I think it is glad viable? Certainly so, even against the plethora of melee cleaves and spriest/mage at the higher mmrs.

I'm glad that you're doing well so far with your WW monk in arenas :) BTW are you the same Innverse from SWTOR? I think your jedi shadow's name was Lina.
10/05/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Artanys
Mistweaver pvp is fine, stop qq'ing

Windwalker is not. It's so broken it's not even funny.

I don't entirely agree, windwalkers are viable up to 2k, then we're just weaker versions of ferals.
I also somewhat agree that other classes would fill the windwalker's role in arena slightly better in most comps. I do still think it's glad viable though.

I'm glad that you're doing well so far with your WW monk in arenas :) BTW are you the same Innverse from SWTOR? I think your jedi shadow's name was Lina.

That's me :).

I don't entirely agree, windwalkers are viable up to 2k, then we're just weaker versions of ferals.

Sounds fair enough.

So, are you going to tell us how you do it?

The basic idea is to start on a target to build up/keep up tiger power, and try to swap to a healer or squishy when FoF and Leg Sweep are up to chain Leg sweep into FoF for ~8 seconds of stun, then try to get in front of them for the 4 seconds of silence on top of that(it's easier if you do this during the leg sweep stun before you hit fof, but be careful they don't jump through you in the half second or so they'll have between fof chain stuns). They trinket the first combo, (they will still be FoF stunned if they trinket the leg sweep and most likely will force other cd's as well) and for the second you pop brew/xuen and attempt to para one of the other dps before you fsk to the swap target again. Repeat the chain stun as many times as you need to, using your peels and defensive cds and keeping up tiger power as needed in between these windows. Typically when not on the 'kill' target you will be using your high sustain to keep pressure on whatever dps you need to control the most. Monks are fairly good at controlling/toe-to-toe'ing melee with chi wave, sparring, and disable and are also very strong at tanking caster(especially dot) damage with the right talents and cds up(diffuse and sparring glyph heeeeeeeey), so my team is usually pretty flexible on who to sit on between swaps. Usually if a melee is on my caster we'll sit him, and if the melee is on me we'll control him and try to sit the caster.