Dat Vanilla

Moon Guard
So there I was, being me, checking my emails, when I learned about this.

http://act.watchdog.net/petitions/934?r=104741.nLQqvQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoreum
So you all don't care? Me either. Just informing.
There are thousands of natural and unnatural chemical compounds and substances the industry uses anyway. This isn't much different.

There is legit food that's made out of stomachs, livers, intestines, etc. after all.

Also, if people think too much about which parts of the body their food comes from or how hygienic the animal is....never, ever, ever research chicken/pig farms.
Oh I'm aware lol it doesn't surprise me. Interesting conversation with my general chat though. They kept saying I was an idiot.
At least they are using every part of the animal. Nothing goes to waste. Those tree-hugging hippies should be praising them for their effeciency.

Hyprocrits.
Don't they use pig fat in plastic bags or something?
http://www.vrg.org/blog/2011/06/17/beaver-gland-castoreum-not-used-in-vanilla-flavorings-according-to-manufacturers/

Not that I would ever make the judgment on claims like this without doing research, but I don't think I've ever seen an "OMG this gross or inhumane thing is in our food" thing like this which is factually sound.

Also Wikipedia says annual industry consumption is 300 lbs but cite 13 actually only reads 43 lbs, from 7 years ago.

TBH I don't have any issue with it remaining GRAS or that it can still be hidden under natural flavors / ingredients labels. What I question is whether or not it is correctly considered an animal ingredient for vegetarian labeling purposes, regardless of whether or not it happens to be shown in the ingredients list. It may be a practical non-issue in food nowadays though.
I'm pretty sure I own (and wear) perfumes that include castoreum. I guess the ick factor for me is nil.
At least they are using every part of the animal. Nothing goes to waste. Those tree-hugging hippies should be praising them for their effeciency.

Hyprocrits.

Err...what else is their meat used for? You people are so gross if you eat them. Mrs. Beaver noooo ):

Hyprocrits.

Err...what else is their meat used for? You people are so gross if you eat them. Mrs. Beaver noooo ):
I bet Shirlinda has a smokehouse in the backyard. Beaver bacon anyone?

Hyprocrits.

My Cythe Lord needs to hit 90.
Cythe, hit 90 already!

And uh, I normally like Vanilla, but I think this just turned me off of my favorite flavor of icecream. ._.;;
What do you mean crushed beavers aren't a natural flavoring?
10/04/2012 10:45 PMPosted by Thalis
I bet Shirlinda has a smokehouse in the backyard. Beaver bacon anyone?

Proud member of PETA!

People who Eat Tasty Animals!
Proud bloodmouth!
I fail to see how something being "disgusting" is solid enough ground to petition the FDA over.
10/05/2012 01:01 AMPosted by Rallok
I fail to see how something being "disgusting" is solid enough ground to petition the FDA over.

It's not. People who cry over stuff like this are the same people who drink decaf coffee without knowing that to get decaf the beans had to be bleached.

Which is why it's harder to get a decaf coffee stain out of carpet then it is regular coffee.
Most vanilla is still sourced from actual vanilla beans, so don't go getting yourself worked up. I also fail to see the issue here in using the gland extract, provided the rest of the beaver isn't being discarded.

Really, food can be quite 'disgusting' when you get down to looking at it, especially the mass-produced stuff. If you want to control what you eat, don't petition the FDA - go to the farmer's market and start cooking your own meals. Just don't discount the 'gross' parts. Organs are some of the tastiest, most wonderful things to cook with, as they have unique flavour and texture profiles. Anyone who's been in a channel with me come food time knows I'm a huge proponent of beef heart stir fries and stews.