320 Crit vs 160 Int

Mage
I believe crit is a tiny bit over the 1/2 the value of int at heroic dungeon gear levels.

For example:
320 crit > 160 int

Basing it on Lhivera's numbers:

Crit w/bonus: 1.96 * 320 + 1.32 * 120 = 785.6
Mixed gem w/bonus: 1.96 * 160 + 3.86 * 80 + 1.32 * 120 = 780.8

So a straight crit still is a tiny bit ahead.

I do wonder if simcraft is accounting for player errors. If you miss a heating up + inferno blast due to latency...I think that would increase the value of int over crit. Thoughts?
10/08/2012 08:13 AMPosted by Dystant
I believe crit is a tiny bit over the 1/2 the value of int at heroic dungeon gear levels.

It is -- but it has to be better than that if you're going to ignore the socket bonus.
10/08/2012 08:48 AMPosted by Lhivera

It is -- but it has to be better than that if you're going to ignore the socket bonus.

So while we're on the topic:

JC Brilliant Serpent's Eye vs Normal, 320 Int vs 160.
JC Smooth Serpent's Eye vs Normal, 480 Crit vs 320.

Shouldn't there be a bit more Crit on there to inspire us to have a choice in which gem we use?

JC Brilliant Serpent's Eye vs Normal, 320 Int vs 160. JC Smooth Serpent's Eye vs Normal, 480 Crit vs 320.

Shouldn't there be a bit more Crit on there to inspire us to have a choice in which gem we use?

This is pretty lame, since the blacksmithing prof bonus gives a similar choice between primary and secondary stats without penalty. Putting a straight crit gem into your extra socket gives you that full +320 crit. As a BS I don't mind. I guess professions are just different, and JC favors your primary stat.
yea JC forces us to use 320int gems, which in a way is fine cause im finding it hard to reach the 3 red gem requirement on the meta gems in my pvp gear, so using 2 320int gems for pvp is working well for me.

they really need to retune jc so the crit gem is the proper 640 crit which is the bonus BS gets.

JC Brilliant Serpent's Eye vs Normal, 320 Int vs 160.
JC Smooth Serpent's Eye vs Normal, 480 Crit vs 320.

This was predicted very early on in MoP beta, its unfortunate that nothing was done. Blacksmithing is currently the top prof because you can get extra crit, the best stat. as opposed to extra int.
yea JC forces us to use 320int gems, which in a way is fine cause im finding it hard to reach the 3 red gem requirement on the meta gems in my pvp gear, so using 2 320int gems for pvp is working well for me.

they really need to retune jc so the crit gem is the proper 640 crit which is the bonus BS gets.

Be careful; many metas no longer have requirements in MoP. You may not need 3 reds at all.
So Lhivera, what I'm seeing is that you advocate gemming for the socket bonus primarily, but what if we're looking at a prismatic socket?

(Int) 160*3.86 = 617.6
(Crit) 320*1.96 = 627.2

Crit is only a 1.5% increase in total damage. But you'd suggest definitively stacking crit because crit scales better relative to intellect as our gear gets better?
10/07/2012 08:22 PMPosted by Lhivera
In that case...well, mixed gems can still be useful for hitting hit cap!

If blue, or red if you really want to socket Veiled in a red.
10/11/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Shanananana
Crit is only a 1.5% increase in total damage. But you'd suggest definitively stacking crit because crit scales better relative to intellect as our gear gets better?

No... he didn't say crit scales better relative to intellect. You just get twice as much crit as you do intellect and intellect doesn't scale at twice the rate of crit...
Crit is only a 1.5% increase in total damage.

only a 1.5% increase

increase

Better is better. The rotation also feels better with more Crit. This changes with gear, so Sim for what is best for you. Currently I'm almost dead even.
Note that the value of crit relative to intellect increases as gear level increases, which means at lower gear levels, it's even less worthwhile to ignore the socket bonus even for your best secondary stat.

10/12/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Sethmann
No... he didn't say crit scales better relative to intellect. You just get twice as much crit as you do intellect and intellect doesn't scale at twice the rate of crit...

First page, second to last post

:-/

First page, second to last post

In that case you were twisting his point by saying that he advocated stacking crit instead of stacking intellect along with crit.

Piece of advice: be weary of what Sethmann posts. I'm convinced half his posts are trolls.

Rentrenus, I was hard pressed to place you, I was half tempted to assume that you were new around these parts... then I looked at your posting history and realized that I couldn't place you because your opinions have always been worthless. You post worthless comments like :

What Majeski says above is correct.

Seriously, who was saying that he was wrong?
Snap