The Daily Brew 3: Monky Business

Monk
1 2 3 26 Next
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/wi35cb1l961yr5kq/sum/healingDone/?s=2393&e=2785

BM healing is OP.
I support changing the OT thread name all the time, just to confuse people.

10/09/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Jayded
BM healing is OP.

And this.

I was going to make a post in the priest forums saying:

"sorry we dont need you; Its because our brewmaster does a better job shielding the raid than you do, sorry."

^^ actually i just went there.
Damn i have to decide what kind of brewmaster I will be D:

gonna try Jayded advice and after think if i will be EH route, Mitigation or...ahn...MO route i guess? LOL
Stuff of Nightmares
Mastery / Dodge proc. Another blend of EH / Mitigation, but you have no control over it. Not a fan of this style of secondary effect.

Jade Warlord Figurine
Stamina / Mastery on-use. Super strong! Heroic version of this probably BiS.

Vial of Dragon's Blood
Mastery / Dodge proc. Wow, how original.

Lao-Chin's Liquid Courage
Stamina / Mastery on-use. Oh, wow.

I'm fairly sure that the second and fourth share cooldowns, even if they're not unique-equip. Not sure if I'm missing any tank trinkets. Don't think I did.

EDIT: EH for consistency, mitigation for overal damage reduction. EH is generally the safer option for progression, and tanks too reliant on avoidance are generally worse than those who can consistently mitigate (See: DKs in Firelands).
10/09/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Kryalice
I'm fairly sure that the second and fourth share cooldowns, even if they're not unique-equip. Not sure if I'm missing any tank trinkets. Don't think I did.

you missed:

Terror in the Mists
Bottle of Infinite Stars
Relic of Xuen

Just because they aren't specifically for tanks, doesn't dismiss their value.
I happen to believe they are more valuable than the tank trinkets you posted.

As for the dodge procs, if they stack well quickly and have good uptime, i can see them being really good.

As far as EH, if you are able to take swings without dying, and dont make stupid mistakes, you generally have a point when EH rapidly loses its value.

I would only use Stam trinkets if It meant I absolutely needed to have more health because of a fights mechanic.
Mmmm.. dem heals.

Has anyone done any testing for Zen Sphere vs. Chi Waves healing? Personally I like Chi wave purely because it can heal people with in 40 yards where as Zen Sphere only heals people within like what 10 yards?

Zen sphere for brewmaster

Chi burst for most mistweavers aoe situations (as far as i know)

Chi wave for leveling

you missed:

Terror in the Mists
Bottle of Infinite Stars
Relic of Xuen

Just because they aren't specifically for tanks, doesn't dismiss their value.
I happen to believe they are more valuable than the tank trinkets you posted.

As for the dodge procs, if they stack well quickly and have good uptime, i can see them being really good.

The trinkets are bugged in the official database. They don't stack, they're single procs with 15% chance / 45s ICD, so you can expect a proc every minute or so on average.

Whether or not I take Agility trinkets from DPS is dependent on what the raid needs at the time, I suppose. Also, Relic of Xuen does not stack with Relic of Oxguy. Can only equip one.

Remember, the real job of the tank is to survive. None of the trinkets you linked are on-use and as such the benefits of their procs cannot be depended on for the Prime Directive.

EDIT: EH loses value to mitigation as you begin to outgear an encounter, yes, but progression generally entails going at an encounter with less than optimal gear, which favors EH.
Like Chi wave too even if Im brew, but I kinda guess its more on preference :D

Chi wave for leveling

I'm seeing a lot of people saying chi wave for BM. I don't really use ZS at all, so I'm going to give it a shot.

The trinkets are bugged in the official database. They don't stack, they're single procs with 15% chance / 45s ICD, so you can expect a proc every minute or so on average.

Whether or not I take Agility trinkets from DPS is dependent on what the raid needs at the time, I suppose. Also, Relic of Xuen does not stack with Relic of Oxguy. Can only equip one.

Remember, the real job of the tank is to survive. None of the trinkets you linked are on-use and as such the benefits of their procs cannot be depended on for the Prime Directive.

EDIT: EH loses value to mitigation as you begin to outgear an encounter, yes, but progression generally entails going at an encounter with less than optimal gear, which favors EH.

I think what they're trying to say is that by doing more damage they're doing more healing for the raid and so the healers have more time to heal the tanks. I don't know which would be more useful tbh, I still feel like I need more consistency in my damage taken before I start focusing on DPS trinks/gear (even though I'm wearing one).

Chi wave for leveling

I'm seeing a lot of people saying chi wave for BM. I don't really use ZS at all, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Fire and forget, not position dependent the way the other two are. I can see Zen Sphere being a good AoE tool, though.
I wasnt getting much heals for ZS and like I said i have issues with my path for what to be with brewmasters, then I give a try to Chi wave...and dang, its good, specialy when vengeance stacks, even if you dont use it in a dire need for heal, you can heal people a crazy ammount, giving the healer a breath :D
10/09/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Kryalice

Yea, i just noticed that with my links. Even if thats the case, the on equip mastery trinkets are the only ones that are worth it; but I would still devalue them unless the stamina was needed.

I still choose Xuen. Ox still isn't good to me, even with the stam; unless I need the stam for a fight I wont be using it. (i have both, because i can :3)

As far as normals, I have had no problems surviving anything that was thrown at me. Early heroics, i feel, wont post a problem either. I'm not even running that much health.

How I see it, is if i'm helping slow raid damage, they can heal me more; but as it stands, I dont even need that much healing anyways because i'm stacking haste to keep enough self healing on myself to not have to worry about it.

I've tried mastery and parry/dodge heavy builds and they felt worse to the raid in my opinon because i was giving up alot of crit/haste.

10/09/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Kryalice
Fire and forget, not position dependent the way the other two are. I can see Zen Sphere being a good AoE tool, though.

I do not use it for the aoe, but the ST hot to offset stagger.

If you're clearing stagger in anything but red unless its an emergency you're doing it wrong (in my eyes) Much of any of the normal fights, minus a major hit mechanic was me going from 85-100% rapidly.

I'll likely adjust if required for heroics today though. We'll see.
ZS was hilarious when it didn't respect the AOE limitations. Unless I'm mistaken, Breath of Fire's proc still doesn't, which isn't particularly useful except for speedrunning heroics. I prefer Chi Wave now though. Just macro it to target whoever's tanking rather than the boss for the extra tick!

ed:
If you're clearing stagger in anything but red unless its an emergency you're doing it wrong (in my eyes)

This is a REALLY dangerous way to look at Stagger, as is Blizzard's Green/Yellow/Red system in general. What you really want to do is get a mod to track the total amount in your stagger pool and clear based on that spiking.
10/09/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Descretoria
ZS was hilarious when it didn't respect the AOE limitations. Unless I'm mistaken, Breath of Fire's proc still doesn't, which isn't particularly useful except for speedrunning heroics. I prefer Chi Wave now though. Just macro it to target whoever's tanking rather than the boss for the extra tick!

I really like BoF for throwing extra damage on ads for extra shields (in a raiding situ).
But I only use it if i'm not rolling everything else already.

Will of the emperor while dancing.

Dance.
Roll.
BoF ads and get gripped in.
Dance some more.
GZ free shields!

This is a REALLY dangerous way to look at Stagger, as is Blizzard's Green/Yellow/Red system in general. What you really want to do is get a mod to track the total amount in your stagger pool and clear based on that spiking.

Using brewmaster Tao. (But i barely feel the need to use it at this point.)
Healer hots pretty much negate the need to PB. Zen Sphere negates the need even more. If a boss hit takes me from 85% to 0%, then i'll use a stam trinket.
Why waste their effective healing?

I'm speaking from a semi-serious progression raiding point of view, though.

Bingo. Stagger color is based on percentage ranges of your health pool and not the actual amount of damage being staggered.

EDIT: Advanced, the real strength of the the Stamina trinkets is an on-use effect to increase your Mastery, which allows you to increase the amount you stagger and can help to offset large amounts of incoming damage.
The Daily Brew is a dumb name.
10/09/2012 11:34 AMPosted by Mist

Top ten maddest pandas.
10/09/2012 11:34 AMPosted by Mist

Next name shall be:

I dont care what the next name is, but the thread title needs to be:

Oxtoberfest
10/09/2012 11:32 AMPosted by Kryalice

Using brewmaster Tao. (But i barely feel the need to use it at this point.)
Healer hots pretty much negate the need to PB. Zen Sphere negates the need even more. If a boss hit takes me from 85% to 0%, then i'll use a stam trinket.
Why waste their effective healing?

I'm speaking from a semi-serious progression raiding point of view, though.

Emphasis mine-> Because if you can prevent that damage, they don't need to heal it in the first place. You can push that all the way back to mana savings if your healers are amazing, personal survival if they're terrible, or no effect if they're mediocre; Purifying optimally should never be detrimental.

And yeah, like with most things, it's not critical to the success of a raid, it's just helpful.