A week of free transfers is not enough

General Discussion
10/05/2012 01:23 PMPosted by Danadmcballs
Blizzard really should just put their foot down and restrict new characters being created on full servers.

They are or at least they did.

Which would cost a lot of time and money and don't forget about the down time the servers that are being upgraded would have to take. While ideally that is what they would like to do practically it won't happen for awhile since they have other things that take higher priority.

It took us 24 hours to upgrade our accounting system to our new server at work. It was done over the weekend while we were closed, but it is possible. And tuesdays servers are generally down for maitenance and down for awhile on patch days. Plan it out, that is why they have project managers. I would gladly be fine knowing I can't play for a day knowing I'll have no problems logging in after that, and I'm sure a lot of people on the higher pop servers will as well.

Some people on high pop servers, like myself, have no problems logging into illidan. I log in around 2:30pm eastern, and get in just fine, without a queue. Like I said, I'm in dalaran right now, preparing to go quest. Give it time.
10/05/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Rumplez

That's not really how it works. There is a hard cap of players each server can handle with out crashing. Just because some have handled more people longer than others doesn't mean that they can hold more people than their cap.

Which means their servers need to be upgrade. Which is the point I'm trying to make.

You assume their servers aren't quality bits of tech already.

No, it means that if you want to continue to play on a full server, you're going to have to wait sometimes. Or you can move. It's really simple.

From an operation standpoint, your point is farfetched. If their servers cannot handle the amount of people playing, they should upgrade to service their customers better. They have what 10 million people playing? And they are expecting to have the same server capacity as they did on release?

How long have been playing this game? That's not how they upgrade capacity when things hit their limits. What do they do? They add new servers. Servers which, incidentally, have no queue time and are a very real option for people who can't stand waiting.

Upgrading a whole bunch of systems because some people are experiencing a short-term issue with queues they could avoid, if they chose to take the options available to them, would be a horrendous waste of money on Blizzard's part.
It didn't work because you didn't transfer, thus you're still stuck with high queue times.

The free transfers weren't offered to create shorter queue times on high pop realms. They were offered so those who hate the high queue times had a chance to go elsewhere. Those who choose to stay would have queue times still.

Did you really think that half the server was going to leave for your personal benefit?

If you wanted no queue time, you should have left when you had the chance.

They could upgrade the server, and more people would transfer. They would be full again.

Blizzard really should just put their foot down and restrict new characters being created on full servers.

They just need to cap the WoW accounts (as opposed to Battle.net accounts) per server. A new character doesn't really add to the load but a new account does since only one toon per WoW account can be played at a time.

From an operation standpoint, your point is farfetched. If their servers cannot handle the amount of people playing, they should upgrade to service their customers better. They have what 10 million people playing? And they are expecting to have the same server capacity as they did on release?

How long have been playing this game? That's not how they upgrade capacity when things hit their limits. What do they do? They add new servers. Servers which, incidentally, have no queue time and are a very real option for people who can't stand waiting.

Upgrading a whole bunch of systems because some people are experience a short-term issue with queues they could avoid, if they chose to take the options available to them, would be a horrendous waste of money on Blizzard's part.

I've been playing since the end of 2007. And I know that is what they do but that doesn't help the higher pop servers that much. Yes I know the queues won't and haven't been around forever, and honestly I don't remember the last time I had a queue to log in Illidan besides the start of MoP, maybe the start of Cata too. It just bothersome that they wouldn't want to spend money to fix issues for their players. They are the largest MMO and probably the largest grossing game still around. And I'm not saying they are a bad company, I've never had a problem with their tech support when something happens, they do help their players the best they can.
If they consistently upgraded every time a server got full, you'd eventually have maybe 3 servers with everyone in the game playing on them. They design the game based around their own specifications, and I'm sure they have investigated raising population caps as a potential solution prior to CRZ.
have you tried logging off on a CRZ area rather than your servers main towns?
10/05/2012 01:04 PMPosted by Rumplez
the higher pop servers should be able to handle more because they've been like that for years versus the normal servers that are just there. Put more emphasis on the higher servers servers to be able to handle more use.

Or people could just start moving off to different servers, and they could lock them to prevent people moving onto the full servers.

It's a problem of technical limitations. They can't just say "oh we need to increase this server cap" and hit a button. They're not going to spend thousands of dollars upgrading a server when they have at least a dozen servers that are close to being empty.
You're relying on other people leaving, who are also relying on other people to leave, who are also relying on other people to leave.

Don't like it? Leave. Don't expect everyone else to for your benefit.
10/05/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Rumplez
edit: And it isn't so much everyone else needs to leave, it's something needs to be done for these extremely high pop servers. They can't and shouldn't have the same cap as normal ones.

I'd personally take waiting to log in over LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG because there's too many people on the server.

You fail to understand there's only so much traffic the hardware can hold.. and putting in "new" or "more" hardware won't fix it without recoding the game.

10/05/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Rumplez
Which means their servers need to be upgrade. Which is the point I'm trying to make.

It doesn't work that way.
10/05/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Rumplez
it's something needs to be done for these extremely high pop servers. They can't and shouldn't have the same cap as normal ones.

A "high pop" and a "normal" server are no different, in that the server capacity is no different between them. Each server has a capacity and they all have the same capacity.

All a "high pop" means is that there are more players logging in than on other servers.

Blizz offered free transfers off of some high pop servers but they cannot force players to change servers. It the players do not want to move, then the server population will not go down.