Disc Priest Healing, how are you doing it?

Priest
i seem to oom really quickly using my heals and bubbles since priest have gone to hell with mana management and the only way for me to able to keep players up is to smite spam. is there something im not seeing? how are you managing?
it sucks.. yes it suck and will suck. We go Oom before other healers drop below 70%, our MP5 is broken, the mana you gain back from Rapture is way low. I forget to add that we have the worst healing(and absorb)/mana ratio.
PD: thats for pvp... idk about pve.
I'm only going to be able to tell you about PVE - and I am not raiding yet. Just doing some Panda dungeons as I gear up, etc.

1. Reforge for spirit, drink and eat for spirit. (look around under your sofa cushions for spirit). Put it on your weapon and your cloak (if tailor). Put it on your chest (enchanting)

Yes that is my number one tip. My basic rotation and playstyle hasn't changed THAT much. I do Atonement heal a good bit, but not much as I used to due to time constraints, and no more mana return through Archangel. But the Atonement heals do work.

I spam spells LESS. Heal is used a LOT. I also run around a lot of the time in Inner Will as opposed to Inner Fire as I gear up for mana savings. I use Mindbender early in fights and every time on CD. I do use SpiritShell every time on CD (either through Flash Heal for tank (mostly) or PoH for group). I actually tap Renew a good bit on dps as we move around to give them HoT's. WAY more than I used to. I use Divine Star almost every time on CD frankly. I like it. Lots of PoM's. I don't PoH as much as I used to. I carry mana pots to drink as needed (not every fight for sure).

I am also training myself to go ahead and use HoH earlier in fights rather than Oh Crap moments. I have Penance while moving to keep grace on tank as we move so much in these encounters.

As I've geared up I find that MOST fights I still have about 35-40% mana....so far that is a win for me.
10/03/2012 10:43 PMPosted by Grannick
i seem to oom really quickly using my heals and bubbles since priest have gone to hell with mana management

You have just over 1k spirit. That's really going to be your problem. Rapture is based off spirit now, so you are going to need a lot more of it than you did in Cata. Try some reforges and enchants to get you a little more spirit and see if that doesn't help.
it sucks.. yes it suck and will suck. We go Oom before other healers drop below 70%, our MP5 is broken, the mana you gain back from Rapture is way low. I forget to add that we have the worst healing(and absorb)/mana ratio.
PD: thats for pvp... idk about pve.

What mana return? With current numbers unless your spirit is in the 13,000 or something you won't be getting any in return. You won't even pull even.

The bubble costs 18000 (rounded off). Let's assume you have 10,000 spirit...which most healers are rocking 7000-8000ish nowadays buffed. Rapture gives back...150%. So even with 10,000 spirit you are getting back 15000 mana. The shield still costs you 3,000. Which is really efficient when you are looking at that one spell but overall it's STILL a mana loss.

Correct me if I am wrong.
10/04/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Anklemelter
You have just over 1k spirit.

Thats my spriest gear.Im actually stacking spirit as well. But we cant continue like this or our heals arnt gonna be worth it. if were gonna using smite then we need more intell rather then spirit on everything we have.
10/04/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Grannick
You have just over 1k spirit.

Thats my spriest gear.Im actually stacking spirit as well. But we cant continue like this or our heals arnt gonna be worth it. if were gonna using smite then we need more intell rather then spirit on everything we have.

OFF TOPIC - even for SPriest you should have more spirit for hit as you gear up :) I combine many pieces for disc/shadow :)
10/04/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Jaenna
even for SPriest you should have more spirit for hit as you gear up :) I combine many pieces for disc/shadow :)

I dont know about other spriest buts that enough spirit for me. But then again i dont raid as shadow.
Painfully.

I've been bubbling/PoM the tank, then using the relying on heal/greater heal for the bigger damage spikes. People aren't dying too much... but I actually went OOM in the Brewfest dungeon last night due to such heavy damage spikes.
What Disc needs right out (outside of Buffs) is some sort of all-in-one mod touched by Jeebus to keep track of all the CDs and Buffs that comes with a raiding Disc priests. I made a list and the list of 'rotation' spell CDs goes over 10. Coupled that with movement and boss mechanics, I have a hard time imagining anyone able to heal decently on a priest without forgoing something.
PVE Point of View:

Spirit jumps up rather fast imo. When I first walked into Heroics I had about 8300 combat regen. If you don't have at least 7500-8500 combat regen walking into heroic 5mans you are going to suffer big time. I used crafted pvp gear to get the ilvl for entry, so if you don't have those numbers you are probably setting somehting up wrong. I'm at 363 ilvl now and have about 13k combat regen, it goes up pretty nicely with gear. I would not recommend normal raiding until you have ~10k+ combat regen.

Regen has always had a scaling factor in content. Every single expac has put huge restraints on healer mana in the beginning and forced healers to reforge, gem, etc for mana. As you get gear you will back off of it and it will go back to what you most recently remember from cata. As I watch the other healers in my guild heal, I don't feel Disc is that much worse off than anyone else. I think that Disc just has to adjust more than some of the other classes to get the desired effect. Change isn't always easy.

Some Tips to help you as you gear up:

Penance on CD - Grace is EXTREMELY important right now. Keep it up on the tank, even if he is not currently taking damage. Penance offers a 3 stack of Grace (as long as you don't clip the spell) in one cast. You can use other spells like Greater Heal to mantain it if you want. I usually just use Penance on targets I know will need heals in the future.

Holy Fire on CD/Smite when available - Yes, Archangel does not give mana back now, but it increases healing done by 15% at a 5 stack of evangelism. Bigger heals will cause you to save mana since you need to use less spells to get the desired effect.

PoH smartly - You can't spam PoH anymore. However; it is still quite powerful. Usually I end up weaving it into my HF/Smite rotation. This meaning I cast it regardless if people need healing whenever the DA timer gets to about 3-5sec from falling off. A lot of times I will have 60kish DA shields on players by the time they need the healing, and it just smooths out the damage a lot.

MindBender on CD - I use mine when I get to about 80-85% mana and then use it on CD.

Divine Star I use as more of a oh !@#$ type spell. It has the same mana cost as PoH, but it is instant. It travels 24 yards in the direction you cast it, so you can strafing or run to the side with body and soul as you cast it and it will cause a boomerang effect covering a slightly wider radius or more people. (If you have issues with people being more loosely spread apart in your groups).

Cascade is very range dependent, it seems situational at best to me.
Halo is nice, but the mana cost is extremely high, and it aggros everything in the area. Really not good for dungeons.

PoM on CD.

I personally have never used renew, nor have I ever used Heal. I use Greater Heal, it yields a much larger DA shield than Heal, which makes it more mana efficient in the long run in my eyes.

I actually use Inner Fire now to increase my healing when I need to heal. It seems to work out better with the idea of bigger heals = less heals cast idea. I used to use inner will exclusively in cata.

Remember inner will only effects instants. I find myself rarely using PWS on anyone but the tank for the moment because of mana restraints. I still use it for rapture, regardless of the fact it does not net mana. It might not cause a mana gain, but it reduces the mana cost making it a castable spell in our aresenal. The most powerful spell in our arsenal.

Spirit Shell - I tend to plan this around heavy times of damage in raid. As for5mans, I will use it as an opener a lot on trash packs, since thats when the most damage occurs since ther most number mobs are alive and beating on the tank, and casting AOEs that blind and deaf dps are standing in. Remember it's not solely a tank heal, nor soley an aoe heal. Weave it around. PoH the group and get the shell on everyone, throw in 2 greater heals to get the shield a bit bigger on the tank faster, then POH the shield on the group. You have plenty of time with it to manipulate it the way you see fit.

Power Infusion - I took power infusion since I have a long history of using it on myself. I use it to reduce the mana cost on my spells as I stack up spirit shell, as well as get more casts off with the haste. I Smite with whatever PI I have left over to get to the archangel buff quickly if I need it.

Stats
I started with high amounts of mastery, and lower haste (the way I geared in cata). I quickly found that increasing my haste really helped the transitions between spirit shell and Archangel healing. It allows me to HF/Smite faster to get stacks, and weave in PoH between tank healing much easier. So currently I am using a set up that has mastery slightly greater than haste.
Intellect > Spirit (on every piece of gear/hybrid gems for socket bonuses) > Mastery > Haste > Crit
I haven't found there to be enough crit available to make a noticible difference in comparison to the other stats, plus the RNG of it does not appeal to me at all. It's still good and important, I just don't see it as the most amazing stat ever.

This is what has worked best for me from experience. My mana rarely dropped below 50% when I started doing these things (back when I had almost 9k combat regen).
I admit I've given up on DISC pve healing for now. At 90 I might try to relearn how to heal because it seems to be a lot different and more mana intense than it was before. At 90 I'll do a lot of PVP to see if I can learn something but no need to waste time in dungeons for now.
10/04/2012 10:57 AMPosted by Lightfool
I admit I've given up on DISC pve healing for now. At 90 I might try to relearn how to heal because it seems to be a lot different and more mana intense than it was before. At 90 I'll do a lot of PVP to see if I can learn something but no need to waste time in dungeons for now.

I have zero Issues healing in 5mans.
I stepped into 25man raids with an iLvl of 461 (gemmed/enchanted/geared for spirit/regen in every slot) and was OOM before the other healers dropped below ~70%. I only used ProM, Gheal, PW:S, PoH, Halo and occasionally Spirit Shell. Oh and I was doing 50% of the output of a guy playing a monk who I know to be a terrible healer (having played with him in Cata).
10/04/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Poena

I have zero Issues healing in 5mans.
I stepped into 25man raids with an iLvl of 461 (gemmed/enchanted/geared for spirit/regen in every slot) and was OOM before the other healers dropped below ~70%. I only used ProM, Gheal, PW:S, PoH, Halo and occasionally Spirit Shell. Oh and I was doing 50% of the output of a guy playing a monk who I know to be a terrible healer (having played with him in Cata).

Ever think part of your problem is not using penance, and not using Spirit shell on cool down and halo ONLY if you really need that burst, but even then I wont even touch it.

But I do agree disc is fairly sad right now, I switched to holy after about 4 pulls of not being able to keep my mana or heals up
Speaking as someone who has successfully healed The Stone Guard on 25M as Disc, I honestly do not think Disc is viable right now. It's insanely difficult to remain even remotely competitive with other healers, and I have been playing Disc for years, I usually absolutely destroy every other healer I meet.
In PvE? I've only done heroics so far, but I've basically been using Heal as my filler. I only PoM someone who is taking damage that does not have a bubble on them. Bubble and renew for anything else. Using Power Infusion when I need to get Greater Heals out, or at the start of boss fights to smite spam for Evang stacks. Also PI if I want to try to Heal spam to save mana while getting heals out. Power Infusion + Inner Focus again + Spirit Shell to mitigate some damage before it gets bad. I need to stop and drink at times, but my mana has held up. I stack a ton of spirit, eat spirit foods, and pop a spirit flask when PvEing.

In PvP, my main enjoyment, I just get oom and run around hoping people wont die since I'm useless. In BGs I pick up the leaf buffs when possible. In arena I oom and...run away...mount up and hope my partners don't die while I try to regen with spirit (since we can't drink anymore). It's horrible, basically.
The bubble costs 18000 (rounded off). Let's assume you have 10,000 spirit...which most healers are rocking 7000-8000ish nowadays buffed. Rapture gives back...150%. So even with 10,000 spirit you are getting back 15000 mana. The shield still costs you 3,000. Which is really efficient when you are looking at that one spell but overall it's STILL a mana loss.

Correct me if I am wrong.

While you're not technically wrong, that's only once every 12 seconds. So if you cast a second one, it's a 21000 cost. Cast 3 bubbles, and that's 39000 mana.

---

Disc is a lot harder now. You have to watch your Grace buff to make sure that you're getting the 30% buff of healing. You have to then move penance to the boss so the atonement works, typically hitting your tank with the Grace buff. Or using Penance on a DPS who took a ton of damage so you can get him back up faster. Holy Fire the Boss for the Heal and DoT heal. And then you have to Inner Focus + Greater Heal the tank to put a huge Shell on Him. And then you use Spirit Shell and Greater Heal on the Tank for another big absorb and then some Prayer of Healing / Greater Heals on DPS. When that's down, then you can stack hit Archangel, stack Divine Aegis through Prayer of Healing, Greater Healing the Tank for the Train of Thought buff to refresh Inner Focus, and then Inner Focus Greater Heal the Tank to get that shield back on. Meanwhile, you're throwing Prayer of Mending, Mind Bender, using Power Infusion, Emergency Bubble on Tank, and saving Barrier, Pain Suppression and Void Swap for those uh oh moments.

Yes, I didn't paragraph that, because that's kinda how I feel when I'm healing as Disc.